Player Discussion Kirby Dach: Welcome to Montreal part 2

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
There are "glass" bodies. Guys like Brett Lindros who will get a concussion on any hit. Colin White who is always hurt etc. And Dach hurt his wrist before the WJC on a nothing hit not a slash. Diifferent types of injuries indicate a player is injury prone. The same injury doesn't necessarily. A bad injury that weakens a joint and results in further injuries is bad luck not any indication of bing prone to injuries.
Concussions are a completely different thing. If he’d sat out all that time with concussions you wouldn’t see people advocating to keep him as our second line center.

All of his injuries have been flukey. The Hawks brought him back too early so that caused problems. Last year’s was totally unrelated to the wrist.

He SHOULD be okay going forward. We have to give him the chance. If he goes down… okay, then we can look at alternatives. We can’t go another season without a second line center. It’s unacceptable at this point.

Last edited:
Reactions: windycity

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Newhook - Dach - Roy has the potential to surprise.

Newhook took another (small) step last year playing C (should be a winger) with Armia, Gallagher and Anderson as his most common linemates.

Dach - We all see the talent. I genuinely started to believe he could be as good or better than Suzuki last year before his injury.

Roy - Averaged 12m TOI last year and still improved the lines he was on. Between him and Newhook they should be able to finish plays from Dach.

I feel like people are writing off Newhook/Roy a bit, but I want to see what they look like in a position to succeed like this.

Hoochi Papa

Oct 17, 2020
Laine is the only one that makes sense.

2 years contract (so low risk)
Wont cost premium assets.

Obvious top 6 talent
And if everything goes well, Laine could leave money on the table with his extension. His path in the NHL has been quite rough this far, so finding a place where he feels comfortable might be more important than maximum salary. This time all eyes wouldn't be on him. In Winnipeg he was bullied for being a gifted teenager by insecure Wheeler. He was a top-2 player in Columbus. In Montreal Laine would be a redemption project and 4th-6th most important top-6 player, meaning he wouldn't be at the center of the pressure. People would be more interested in Slaf, Suzuki, Caufield, maybe even Dach and definitely Demidov, when he finally arrives.

Unfortunately he's probably going to Hurricanes. They have Sebastian Aho and interesting trade asset in Necas.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
And if everything goes well, Laine could leave money on the table with his extension. His path in the NHL has been quite rough this far, so finding a place where he feels comfortable might be more important than maximum salary. This time all eyes wouldn't be on him. In Winnipeg he was bullied for being a gifted teenager by insecure Wheeler. He was a top-2 player in Columbus. In Montreal Laine would be a redemption project and 4th-6th most important top-6 player, meaning he wouldn't be at the center of the pressure. People would be more interested in Slaf, Suzuki, Caufield, maybe even Dach and definitely Demidov, when he finally arrives.

Unfortunately he's probably going to Hurricanes. They have Sebastian Aho and interesting trade asset in Necas.

100% agree, except the last paragraph! Such a good fit here on many levels!

Reactions: Hoochi Papa

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
I'm so excited to watch this team with him playing up to his potential next season.

Although part of me is a bit worried his knee injury and the long layoff is going to affect his progression/confidence.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
One thing he said last summer was that he was working on injury prevention and things like that, so obviously this injury was a big blow to the kid.. but that also means he will continue to work on injury preventative items, which many people don't.

That's why I'm hopeful that this stuff will be behind him. Freak accidents just followed the guy around but you'd have to think he would stop being unlucky at some point. Keep in mind Markov was unlucky in a short period with two major knee injuries and then never had a major injury again and he suffered those later in his career and at a time when knee surgeries etc. aren't as advanced as they are now.

Koivu was consistently hurt early in his career as well. Alfredsson too.

In both cases, they rebounded to have relatively long, healthy, and successful careers.

So while I am a bit worried about dach, I know writing him off at this point would be an overreaction.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
They'll eventually give Caufield to Dach. It's the right move, our best passer with our best goal scorer and Suzuki with Slaf have legit chemistry.
Yeah I've always liked the duo approach my only worry would be the quality of the third player on each line.
I think Newhook would work well with Suzuki and Slaf I like wingers with speed on that line.
As much as Suzuki likes to slow the play down I think he's more effective when he plays fast or at least through the neutral zone.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I remember when Markov had crazy injuries, year after year...............then went on to play almost every game for the next 6-7 seasons......this, after people said he was made of glass! lol

Dach has talent ala Suzuki guys.............last year Hughes said Dach was there best player in camp, and then gets hurt in game 2...............sad and brutal bad luck.
Markov's injuries were all heavy contact against the knee remember that POS Cook hit..

If not look it up.

Reactions: BLONG7

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Told Eric Engels he's feeling the best he's ever felt in his life.

Engels also mentioned that Kirby wanted to play some games at the end of last year but the team and his camp agreed it would be better to stay building toward next year rather than risk anything.

Source: Dropping the Gloves podcast.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON

Engels also mentioned that Kirby wanted to play some games at the end of last year but the team and his camp agreed it would be better to stay building toward next year rather than risk anything.

That was the right call to make, no doubts there. No use risking anything for a few pointless games.

habamillions

Jul 9, 2009
Ottawa
Newhook - Dach - Roy has the potential to surprise.

Newhook took another (small) step last year playing C (should be a winger) with Armia, Gallagher and Anderson as his most common linemates.

Dach - We all see the talent. I genuinely started to believe he could be as good or better than Suzuki last year before his injury.

Roy - Averaged 12m TOI last year and still improved the lines he was on. Between him and Newhook they should be able to finish plays from Dach.

I feel like people are writing off Newhook/Roy a bit, but I want to see what they look like in a position to succeed like this.
In the 1 game newhook and dach played last year they played well together. Now for a more of a sample size lol

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

Great news.

I’m really pulling for him. Love the way he plays. If he stays healthy it will make a huge difference.

If he can’t, then I see us going out and getting another center. The team has been patient with him, he needs to play at least 70 games this year.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
We have 2 large skilled forwards… that keep getting lumped up. They need some help IMO.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
This guy is the key of the puzzle.

He is talented and impactful as much like Suzuki and Caufield when healthy.

Slafkovsky and Demidov the best forwards... with Suzuki, Caufield, Dach and Hage?!?!?!

Yeah it's only projection, but sometimes, the projection are right. Everyone projected Caufield to become a DeBrincat type of player, today, I'd prefer him than DeBrincat. A lot of people viewed Slafkovsky to be the next Andrei Svechnikov, today, I'd rather have Slafkovsky. (Being a huge fan Svech since his draft year, I think Svech have more offensive talent, but Slafkovsky total package is even better). Slafkovsky have unreal offensive talent aswell.

Theses 6 players have all talent, attitude to create a beautiful top 6 for many years to come!!

Let's goo, great time to be a Habs fan!!!

Reactions: cphabs and dralaf

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Koivu was consistently hurt early in his career as well. Alfredsson too.

In both cases, they rebounded to have relatively long, healthy, and successful careers.

So while I am a bit worried about dach, I know writing him off at this point would be an overreaction.
This is how I feel too. Next season is the telling one.

If he gets another severe injury, the proof will be in the pudding IMO. You can't pencil a guy into your lineup year after year for him not to play for you.

Most players get bumps/bruises and sit out every once in a while. We just need to keep him on the ice for at least 60+ games for me to feel comfortable.

If he misses any more than that, I think it's next man up.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad