Player Discussion Kirby Dach: Welcome to Montreal part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site

It's true, people tend to forget how good he is when he's on the ice. His size speed and playmaking are a handful to deal with. He is the wildcard for this team, all he needs is to be healthy, if he can do that everything else will just fall into place with him.

He's a great player that just hasn't been able to establish that due to the injuries. If he can play a full season he's going to open eyes around the league IMO, and in turn, the revelation that the Montreal Canadiens aren't as far off as they seem to think.

A healthy established Dach changes everything going forward.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
It's funny... A year ago there were more than a few posters that felt, especially after pre-season, that Dach would surpass Suzuki as soon as last year.

FFwd to this year, and we've got a bunch of posters complaining that we didn't add any external players and convinced we won't improve at all this year even with a healthy Dach.

Imo, a healthy Dach will give Suzuki a run for his money, leaving us with a top-6 C duo that is comfortably in the top tier of the league.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
It's funny... A year ago there were more than a few posters that felt, especially after pre-season, that Dach would surpass Suzuki as soon as last year.

FFwd to this year, and we've got a bunch of posters complaining that we didn't add any external players and convinced we won't improve at all this year even with a healthy Dach.

Imo, a healthy Dach will give Suzuki a run for his money, leaving us with a top-6 C duo that is comfortably in the top tier of the league.

The issue is the healthy Dach, at this point it may be a mystical creature in the same vein as a Unicorn.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Wooooo boy do I miss him
People are still snoozing on him it freaks me out lol
He fundamentally changes the structure of our overall team
I've waited for this exact player for over 25 years, 6'4 C righty

Curious if he gets Caufield , curious if he ever gets Demidov? :D

Easy to get lost on the radar with the amount of time he has missed.

He's a heck of a talent, and I can't wait to see him on the ice again.

Mudz

3peat watch: 0/3
Sep 11, 2006
Montréal
Easy to get lost on the radar with the amount of time he has missed.

He's a heck of a talent, and I can't wait to see him on the ice again.

Loin des yeux, loin du coeur.

Am I wrong to remember the narrative being that Dach was the future #1 Center in front of Suzuki during the pre-season? I feel like it was the majority opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: JuicyHam

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
Was reading the Hawks' board trade thread at the time and this comment stuck out:

The weirdest thing about Dach is I've never seen a player eat as many hits as he does. It's almost like he intentionally puts himself in a position to get hit. It's bizarre. The guy is a magnet.

It was something that I noticed as well. If he is to stay healthy, he needs to be more aware on the ice, especially of the guys around the league who play very physical.

Here's the Hawks board thread at the time if it's of interest:

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto

Hand up I was one of those people, pre season dach looked like the one guy who I expected to surpass Suzuki, had a little depresh in October when he went down but excited to see him again this year

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Was reading the Hawks' board trade thread at the time and this comment stuck out:

It was something that I noticed as well. If he is to stay healthy, he needs to be more aware on the ice, especially of the guys around the league who play very physical.

Dach (like Slaf did) has to realize that he is not the biggest player on the ice anymore and protect himself from big hits,.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004

Interesting, that's EXACTLY how I feel about Guhle. If someone, somewhere hits another player on the ice, it's a safe bet Guhle's on the receiving end. And in a bad position (in the numbers, usually).

Mudz

3peat watch: 0/3
Sep 11, 2006
Montréal

Quite often he'll take the extra time to make the pass, even if it means getting hit. 2:00 mark in the video is a good example of that.

Just like Guhle.

And just like Guhle, filling out their body will help.

Reactions: Redux91

OB5

May 2, 2015
Agree with the general sentiment here that the Habs have a legitimate top six, possibly even top line center, in Dach based on talent alone. The future is marred and murky due to the two consecutive major and devastating injuries he suffered in back to back seasons. We'll see how effective the rehab has been, they desperately need Dach to pan out as a top six C for this rebuild to take. If he doesn't hit they way they thought he would there's a big hole that will take 2-3 year more years to fill with either their internal prospect development (Hage) or an outside hire.

IF he is healthy and can stay healthy then it's a huge add and major win for this group, he's that good and it's unfortunate that people are sleeping on him. Hope he gets it done.

Reactions: McGuires Corndog

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
The issue is the healthy Dach, at this point it may be a mystical creature in the same vein as a Unicorn.
Also, he's proven absolutely nothing to show that he can be an 80+ point player and better than Suzuki even when healthy. I guess looking better in training camp and preseason last year is more telling than everything they've accomplished in their careers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad