Player Discussion Kirby Dach: Welcome to Montreal part 2

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I'm more interested to see how he can perform after such a gruesome injury and a year of not playing. We saw what Caufield's shoulder did to him this past season.
Wouldn't be surprised if he struggles for a large portion of next year, from what I understand that knee injury was nasty

Doc5

Aug 8, 2012
Any updates on Dach’s summer rehab/training? On his socials I just see his sponsor ship posts with Amex and what not 🙄

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Any updates on Dach’s summer rehab/training? On his socials I just see his sponsor ship posts with Amex and what not 🙄
He was already back to skating solo before the season ended. He's back home for the off-season probably, few players post about that on social media.

Reactions: Doc5 and Redux91

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
I'm more interested to see how he can perform after such a gruesome injury and a year of not playing. We saw what Caufield's shoulder did to him this past season.
Gruesome : Adjective , causing repulsion or horror; grisly.

This is my problem with people making WAY too big a deal than it should be regarding his injury lol

It's a torn ACL, yes it's bad, all ligament tears are bad, this one is just 'worse' because of the lengthy period of time the new ligament gas to organically mesh with the bones (if they are using a ligament from a fresh cadaver , gross I know)

He's 23 not 33, and the injury has not been career threatening for 15 years now with the progresses of the surgery
Best of all, was already back on the ice in April
Full offseason program he normally does + the extra knee rehab
By next October He's back to 100% and then some

I get people being skeptical of people when it comes to 'major injury'
But the ACL tear affects way more NBA players and NFL players in the long run, the advantage of 'skating' helps us here
If he had SNAPPED his tibia in half or something I'd be waaaaay more cautious and worrisome obviously
But I just can't bring myself to be SUPER worried about an NHL ACL tear anymore
It's really just about 'length of time' we get impatient about

I honestly cant wait to see him back for training camp and see who the lucky guy is playing next to Dach and Newhook (should be Caufield)

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015

This is my problem with people making WAY too big a deal than it should be regarding his injury lol

It's a torn ACL, yes it's bad, all ligament tears are bad, this one is just 'worse' because of the lengthy period of time the new ligament gas to organically mesh with the bones (if they are using a ligament from a fresh cadaver , gross I know)

He's 23 not 33, and the injury has not been career threatening for 15 years now with the progresses of the surgery

But the ACL tear affects way more NBA players and NFL players in the long run, the advantage of 'skating' helps us here
If he had SNAPPED his tibia in half or something I'd be waaaaay more cautious and worrisome obviously

I honestly cant wait to see him back for training camp and see who the lucky guy is playing next to Dach and Newhook (should be Caufield)

I get what you are saying, just to clarify though, it wasn't only an ACL tear it was a simultaneous ACL and MCL tear on the same knee.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
I get what you are saying, just to clarify though, it wasn't only an ACL tear it was a simultaneous ACL and MCL tear on the same knee.
No I get you, still the same difference
The real 'problem' is just the lengthy time period the ACL needs to naturally graft

Don't underestimate what the rehab does for these guys to help re-strengthen everything
It's not like he's 'learning how to walk again'

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
If Dach has another injury riddled season then you have to start writing him off as not a player you can count on. He has to play 70 games per season imo.
I think you should be more worried about his level of play not being the same.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
He is the key for a perfect rebuild.

With him healthy, Habs have their top 2 C with Suzuki and Dach. (Hage would become a winger, because I see Dach to be a perfect big two-way C with great protection of puck).

Slafkovsky - Suzuki - Demidov.
Hage - Dach - Caufield.
Newhook - Beck - Roy.

I think that's a really really good top 9 to be a contender team.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
What? All I heard is that he has become a more complete player :D

Maybe same can happen to Dach

No I get you, still the same difference
The real 'problem' is just the lengthy time period the ACL needs to naturally graft

Don't underestimate what the rehab does for these guys to help re-strengthen everything
It's not like he's 'learning how to walk again'
We don’t really need him to walk. But he should learn how to skate again.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Wouldn't be surprised if he struggles for a large portion of next year, from what I understand that knee injury was nasty
He can struggle in the regular season but come da playoffs he needs to bring it. We need moar bigger in da playoffs.

• Haha
Reactions: 417

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

I don’t know enough about this stuff to have an opinion, but this was positive to read.

I think the good thing here is that he didn’t hurt his wrist. That’s what we were all worried about. Yeah a fluke injury sucks but if you’re correct and this doesn’t linger then it’s all good.

Bottom line though: he’s missed a LOT of hockey over the years. He needs to have a healthy year.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
If Dach has another injury riddled season then you have to start writing him off as not a player you can count on. He has to play 70 games per season imo.

That is unfair if it is an injury that is unrelated to past injuries. He has not had injuries that are in any way related to each other as of yet and is just the victim of really bad luck. If his repaired knee becomes a problem then yes, we have reason for concern. Other than that scenario or his wrist suddenly becoming a problem again you have to use reason with any other injury. If he gets slashed and breaks a finger or gets a puck in the face etc are not reasons to start tossing around the injury prone tag. This is how random luck works, the are always clusters that the layman attempts to apply significance to or invent agency where it does not exist.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
That is unfair if it is an injury that is unrelated to past injuries. He has not had injuries that are in any way related to each other as of yet and is just the victim of really bad luck. If his repaired knee becomes a problem then yes, we have reason for concern. Other than that scenario or his wrist suddenly becoming a problem again you have to use reason with any other injury. If he gets slashed and breaks a finger or gets a puck in the face etc are not reasons to start tossing around the injury prone tag. This is how random luck works, the are always clusters that the layman attempts to apply significance to or invent agency where it does not exist.
It may be unfair but at some point you have to make alternate plans. He’s already missed so much hockey.

We can keep him but if he’s hurt again you have to bring onboard another 2nd line center. We can’t go another year without one.

Hopefully this is moot. I’m hoping for a healthy season.

Last edited:

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas

Had Bobby Orr had today's medical technology his career would not have ended at 28. You are right, good post.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad