Confirmed with Link: Kirby Dach to Montreal for 13th and 66th overall picks

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I'm not really buying the rushed argument. Dach looked like he belonged, or at the very least was on pace to belong, in the NHL his rookie year. Then he got injured during the offseason and took a pronounced step back imho. How much of that was not recovering mentally or physically, a prolonged sophomore slump, or just not adjusting after an initial solid start and alre a dy being at his ceiling, I don't know.
Also should have been sent to Rockford post-injury.

They just left him floundering when the competition was too tough for him. Needed a chance to be "the guy" and regain his confidence.

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
I'm not really buying the rushed argument. Dach looked like he belonged, or at the very least was on pace to belong, in the NHL his rookie year. Then he got injured during the offseason and took a pronounced step back imho. How much of that was not recovering mentally or physically, a prolonged sophomore slump, or just not adjusting after an initial solid start and alre a dy being at his ceiling, I don't know.

He was 100% rushed. Dach can skate in the NHL and obviously has plus NHL size but that's it. He never looked confident making plays at NHL speed and I just saw a graph the other day that said over the last 3 years he's in the top-10 amongst all skaters in terms of hits taken. I think he was the only forward, the rest were D. Over his 3 years in CHI, he never really looked like he adjusted to NHL pace. Not to mention the fact that he never dominated a level before getting to the NHL. Even his draft year, he was good in the WHL but he wasn't so good that you would have expected him to break into the NHL the following year. And on top of everything else, the kid got a concussion in the pre-camp rookie tournament prior to his first camp with CHI, resulting in him not even having a training camp/pre-season to acclimatize to the NHL. If Davidson were the GM that year, there's no chance Dach sticks on the team.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
He looked like he belonged in terms of effort and defensive play but not offense. And it was thinking the offense would come. But that was his issue his final chl year still, having enough finish and he needed to work on that offense when to trust in your shot or go extra.

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
DeBrincat at $6.4 mill
Strome at $3.5 mill
now Dach at $3.36 mill
Kubalik at $2.5 mill
Lankinen at $1.5 mill
Gustafsson at $800,000
Borgstrom at $750,000
Delia at $750,000

attempted to be replaced by...

Mrazek at $3.8 mill
Athanasiou at $3 mill
Domi at $3 mill
Blackwell at $1.2 mill
Johnson at $950,000
Robinson at $750,000
Sikura at $750,000
Stalock at $750,000

$6 mill cheaper...and it shows...

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
DeBrincat at $6.4 mill
Strome at $3.5 mill
now Dach at $3.36 mill
Kubalik at $2.5 mill
Lankinen at $1.5 mill
Gustafsson at $800,000
Borgstrom at $750,000
Delia at $750,000

Mrazek at $3.8 mill
Athanasiou at $3 mill
Domi at $3 mill
Blackwell at $1.2 mill
Johnson at $950,000
Robinson at $750,000
Sikura at $750,000
Stalock at $750,000

Have you heard that the Hawks are attempting to rebuild?

Crow

May 19, 2014
DeBrincat at $6.4 mill
Strome at $3.5 mill
now Dach at $3.36 mill
Kubalik at $2.5 mill
Lankinen at $1.5 mill
Gustafsson at $800,000
Borgstrom at $750,000
Delia at $750,000

Mrazek at $3.8 mill
Athanasiou at $3 mill
Domi at $3 mill
Blackwell at $1.2 mill
Johnson at $950,000
Robinson at $750,000
Sikura at $750,000
Stalock at $750,000

9 million in actual salary for the cat. Didn’t realize that until today. I wonder if that hurt his trade value a smidge.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Dach was in a weird spot. He absolutely was too good to be playing CHL hockey. He had NHL tools and those flash. You can't throw a teenager against veteran professionals and expect said teenager to thrive unless he's generational. Dach isn't.

Kid was rushed. Would you move the 13th and 66th pick in the upcoming draft for a player like Kirby? I wouldn't.

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
Dach was in a weird spot. He absolutely was too good to be playing CHL hockey. He had NHL tools and those flash. You can't throw a teenager against veteran professionals and expect said teenager to thrive unless he's generational. Dach isn't.

Kid was rushed. Would you move the 13th and 66th pick in the upcoming draft for a player like Kirby? I wouldn't.

I don't think the spot was that weird in his D+1 year. He absolutely should have been sent back. Maybe the following year he would have been in that too good for junior, not quite good enough for the NHL spot but who knows. If he had gone back to Junior and dominated in his D+1, he certainly wouldn't have been rushed back from his WJC injury in the NHL bc he wouldn't have been on the team. And who knows, with a legit shot at making the roster that season, maybe he foregoes the WJC invite to focus on making CHI like a bunch of kids did this summer and never gets injured.

A whole lot of what ifs with Dach. At the end of the day though, he just hasn't looked very good in the NHL.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If he returns to what he should have been before he was injured and rushed, think of someone like Jason Spezza.
That is one hell of a take.

If he does become like Spezza, it's the steal of the century.

I saw his videos and he does have a great backhand, skates, but I did not see Spezza level moves.

Let's see....

Reactions: BuddyTheGoon

giza

Jul 19, 2011
Less about Dach.....time will tell, but he didn't really seem to be really good at anything......but VERY excited for the pick we got......kids got some talent!

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
I know there were some who wanted Turcotte at third. Sounds like hes not playing in his rookie camp this week, concussion issues. You just never know with these kids unfortunately.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I know there were some who wanted Turcotte at third. Sounds like hes not playing in his rookie camp this week, concussion issues. You just never know with these kids unfortunately.
Injury issues for Dach, Byram, and Turcotte

Of course Byram recovered, and Dach and Turcotte can as well.

But yeah at some point they've all had their development screwed.

And before they were all drafted was Kakko who has had no injuries, but has been subpar regardless.

An interesting run from 2-5 in that draft.

Reactions: BobbyJet

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
Whatever happened to players starting in AHL for a couple of years??? It was always the norm, I can remember Coach Q saying that “the NHL isn’t a instructional league, that’s what the AHL is for”...players are suppose to learn team structures down in the minors...
Corey Crawford played 4 yrs in AHL and developed into a great NHL goalie

Duncan Keith played 2 yrs in AHL, two time Norris winning defencemen

Dustin Byfuglien(2 yrs), Patrick Sharp(3 yrs with Phi), James Wisniewski(2 yrs), Bryan Bickell(4 yrs), Dave Bolland(1 yr), a Troy Brouwer(2 yrs), Colin Fraser(3 yrs), Niklas Hjalmarsson(2 yrs)...Hawks fans need to remember this, and most of all the Blackhawks organization have finally realized this...patience

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad