Kingston Frontenacs 2024-25 Season Thread, Part I

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
On his own Weir would bring back next to nothing but I meant to say put him in a package and see what happens.
The challenge you guys have, though, is that you really do not have the players to put together a package deal for a star player without draining what you have.

You really donot have a great depth of OHL ready players

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
The challenge you guys have, though, is that you really do not have the players to put together a package deal for a star player without draining what you have.

You really donot have a great depth of OHL ready players
We have a good top 9 but that 4th line isn’t ohl calibre yet

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
We have a good top 9 but that 4th line isn’t ohl calibre yet
I agree you have a top 6; I'm not sure about 9. The issue, though, in a trade for a player like Musty is that Sudbury is not going to be looking for a fourth-line player; they are going to be looking for a player who fills their needs as well as picks. You can also be assured that Musty is going to have some say although minimal at this stage.

He does evidently have the ability to play in Europe if SJS decide that is the better idea then sitting at home. Not sure how the BCHL or USHL would fit into the equation.

Reactions: PuckLucker

PuckLucker

Feb 18, 2024
I agree you have a top 6; I'm not sure about 9. The issue, though, in a trade for a player like Musty is that Sudbury is not going to be looking for a fourth-line player; they are going to be looking for a player who fills their needs as well as picks. You can also be assured that Musty is going to have some say although minimal at this stage.

He does evidently have the ability to play in Europe if SJS decide that is the better idea then sitting at home. Not sure how the BCHL or USHL would fit into the equation.
Agreed on the top 6.
To make this trade work an organization like Kingston would actually have to overpay in order to get a player to land here. You can't have your cake and eat it too, in order to get a player like Musty, get ready to open up your wallet and pay up.

I did hear that Kingston had the best deal on the table for Wakely but he was hoping for a better landing spot which should be announced today or tomorrow.

The GM and coach on this team need to wake up and smell the coffee, especially the head coach. How you treat players spreads very quickly through the league.
The Fronts need to build a better culture if they ever hope to compete at a high level (higher than .500) or go on a Mem Cup run.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Jeff Marek reporting Wakely has gone to Barrie for Shamar Moses and picks
Hate to be a downer especially in October but there’s no way kingston can compete with Oshawa, Brampton or Barrie. None of those 3 are done adding yet either. Is there a point in going all in to potentially get 4th or 5th, MAYBE win a round and then go out in round 2? I think they should do a light sell (burns, miedema) and focus on next year.

They’ll have better OA’s going into next year so they won’t have to worry too much about those trades, they’ll have a crap ton of picks and they’ll have Hopkins as an 18 year old, Battaglia as a 19 year old.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
[
Hate to be a downer especially in October but there’s no way kingston can compete with Oshawa, Brampton or Barrie. None of those 3 are done adding yet either. Is there a point in going all in to potentially get 4th or 5th, MAYBE win a round and then go out in round 2? I think they should do a light sell (burns, miedema) and focus on next year.

They’ll have better OA’s going into next year so they won’t have to worry too much about those trades, they’ll have a crap ton of picks and they’ll have Hopkins as an 18 year old, Battaglia as a 19 year old.
First in the division is still up for grabs if Oshawa does not get Calum Ritchie and Dylan Roobroeck back combine that with the fact that they only have enough assets to acquire one big name or two smaller ones they will not be in the same class as Barrie and Brampton.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

This is why I have been advocating for Kingston to take a status quo approach until the holiday break. Take a snapshot of the landscape in the Conference, then make a decision on how to proceed. LEt the big dogs take their bite early. At least you will know where you stand. All the cards will be face up by then.

[
First in the division is still up for grabs if Oshawa does not get Calum Ritchie and Dylan Roobroeck back combine that with the fact that they only have enough assets to acquire one big name or two smaller ones they will not be in the same class as Barrie and Brampton.

Once Ritchie returns, and he will return, they will have a solid roster that likely requires one or two D-Men. They have the requisite top end talent that is required in the playoffs. The only questions right now are when Ritchie returns and whether Roobroeck returns. If they get both of those guys back soon, they will be a really tough team to handle once they shore up the defence.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
This is why I have been advocating for Kingston to take a status quo approach until the holiday break. Take a snapshot of the landscape in the Conference, then make a decision on how to proceed. LEt the big dogs take their bite early. At least you will know where you stand. All the cards will be face up by then.
They have no other choice right now. All the good players they might’ve had a chance of getting are gone. Think Romani definitely brings in an ‘08 at deadline, musty prob doesn’t want to come to Kingston and I’m not sure Kingston would be willing to take on a guy that’s all about himself considering they got rid of Thibodeau and frasca.

Fronts are screwed plain and simple. Only way they can maybe compete is if they bring in Andonovski AND Gibson and I’m sure both will be very expensive and both may command a ‘08 which the fronts don’t have. Again- they’re screwed.

Getting Guindon was never going to be enough but they had to get a vet after losing both ludwinski and frasca so it made sense.

Reactions: PuckLucker

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

Just kidnap Musty and trade for McCoy

• Haha
Reactions: frontsfan67

PuckLucker

Feb 18, 2024
They have no other choice right now. All the good players they might’ve had a chance of getting are gone. Think Romani definitely brings in an ‘08 at deadline, musty prob doesn’t want to come to Kingston and I’m not sure Kingston would be willing to take on a guy that’s all about himself considering they got rid of Thibodeau and frasca.

Fronts are screwed plain and simple. Only way they can maybe compete is if they bring in Andonovski AND Gibson and I’m sure both will be very expensive and both may command a ‘08 which the fronts don’t have. Again- they’re screwed.

Getting Guindon was never going to be enough but they had to get a vet after losing both ludwinski and frasca so it made sense.
You're speaking with a lot of common sense and reading the room based on what other teams have done so far in terms of securing wants and needs to have a strong regular season and beyond.

The same management and coaching staff that added last year at the Trade deadline sitting in 7th place, will more than likely add again this year. To what degree, that remains to be seen.

Just my $0.02

Congrats to Gavin Betts, 1 of 2 OHL goalies invited to U17 Hockey Challenge.
2.52 GAA and .931 Save % with Pickering Panthers early on this season.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

I sort of agree with @dirty12 with respect to Kingston. They are a bigger team in the key areas. If they manage to get solid goaltending, they do have enough size that they could be more of a handful in the playoffs. With the right acquisitions, they could be competitive. It still comes down to how far the other teams go but I think you are correct. They need at least one of Gibson or Andonovski. Plus they need a centre, preferably one that can play as the 1C and push Guindon down to 2C. That is where Wakely would have come into play. I am not sure what other Centres of that quality will hit the market. It looks like it is mostly wingers.

Kingston has the picks but I don’t think they have the players to be able to make those trades. Hopkins will play 3C and you cannot trade him. I doubt the remainder of your ‘07s would push a needle and the only ‘06 you could potentially use (Williamson), you need to keep. I think the handcuffing starts and ends with no ‘08 1st round pick. Picks are great but you can’t buy everything you need with them. Certain players require other players as part of the package. But, I think if the Fronts are patient, there may be a couple teams standing at the end looking to sell players and the only chair left when the music stops could be Kingston. In that situation, Kingston holds the cards and can leverage the draft picks. That is pretty much what Guelph did in 2019. Last team standing ended up with Suzuki for peanuts.

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
Not getting Wakely is an absolute godsent to this teams future after hearing what was offered.
I'm not going to name the player. But it was a roster player, 2 2nds, 2 3rds, 2 4ths.
This is why i thought it would be close to the same from Barrie.

Losing all those picks to lose to Oshawa, Brampton or Barrie would not make a lot of sense.
Kingston is in shock that NB accepted that deal but it had to do more with the players request so out of their control.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Not getting Wakely is an absolute godsent to this teams future after hearing what was offered.
I'm not going to name the player. But it was a roster player, 2 2nds, 2 3rds, 2 4ths.

Losing all those picks to lose to Oshawa, Brampton or Barrie would not make a lot of sense.
Kingston is in shock that NB accepted that deal but it had to do more with the players request so out of their control.

Wakely is a good player but six picks is pretty much the max for a player like that. That equates to Logan Morrison. Adding a live body to that as well would be crazy.

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014

Definitely comforting that if that was the offer that it didn't get accepted, but that does not inspire confidence because I worry that it means they'll be overly aggressive buying for the rest of the year...

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
I sort of agree with @dirty12 with respect to Kingston. They are a bigger team in the key areas. If they manage to get solid goaltending, they do have enough size that they could be more of a handful in the playoffs. With the right acquisitions, they could be competitive. It still comes down to how far the other teams go but I think you are correct. They need at least one of Gibson or Andonovski. Plus they need a centre, preferably one that can play as the 1C and push Guindon down to 2C. That is where Wakely would have come into play. I am not sure what other Centres of that quality will hit the market. It looks like it is mostly wingers.

Kingston has the picks but I don’t think they have the players to be able to make those trades. Hopkins will play 3C and you cannot trade him. I doubt the remainder of your ‘07s would push a needle and the only ‘06 you could potentially use (Williamson), you need to keep. I think the handcuffing starts and ends with no ‘08 1st round pick. Picks are great but you can’t buy everything you need with them. Certain players require other players as part of the package. But, I think if the Fronts are patient, there may be a couple teams standing at the end looking to sell players and the only chair left when the music stops could be Kingston. In that situation, Kingston holds the cards and can leverage the draft picks. That is pretty much what Guelph did in 2019. Last team standing ended up with Suzuki for peanuts.
Only issue with that is Gibson does not want to be traded according to his agent.
He wants to finish out his season, miss the playoffs and report to Milwaukee.
I doubt he gets moved at this point.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Only issue with that is Gibson does not want to be traded according to his agent.
He wants to finish out his season, miss the playoffs and report to Milwaukee.
I doubt he gets moved at this point.

Wow. That’s not good for SSM. I’m not sure I want that guy then. If he is more concerned about going through the motions this season and then move on to Pro ASAP. I’m not sure how I would handle that if I were SSM. I’d probably slip him down the priority chart and allow others to get more opportunity.

EDI: He’s a 4th round pick. Likely wouldn’t have a no trade clause. I’d move him anyway, especially if he is just going through the motions. The question is would anyone want him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad