Kingston Frontenacs 2023-24 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
If they still want to go for 1st this year and get massive assets for Ludwinski they can potentially take some of those Ludwinski assets and put them towards a top end OA Center (if available) and pocket the remaining assets for next year. A bit of a hedge.
Yes or get a good top of the line 04/05 that will be back next year is a possibility too.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Their start this year is a glimpse of things to come, young players always struggle with consistency in every league. Next year they’ll be a year older and better.
Next year.
Though it would be awesome to see them trade ‘07-1st Ivankovic and a couple of ‘06s and all of their picks for a run now :)

If they still want to go for 1st this year and get massive assets for Ludwinski they can potentially take some of those Ludwinski assets and put them towards a top end OA Center (if available) and pocket the remaining assets for next year. A bit of a hedge.
Frasca

Reactions: ottsabrefan

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
With Owen sound making a buyer move I wonder if they’ll try and make a big splash like ludwinski for example. Ben Cormier is their first round pick from last year and is a half a point per game centre. I wonder if they’d look at him. I assume if Owen sounds trying to go for it here they’re not done because right now I don’t like them stacked up vs some of the other top teams.

Next year.
Though it would be awesome to see them trade ‘07-1st Ivankovic and a couple of ‘06s and all of their picks for a run now :)

Frasca
I agree if they did that I would be happier than a pig in shit cause that would give us the edge next year.

Yes frasca will 100% be able to take over. And they have tons of centres I don’t think it will affect the team much if they trade ludwinski. Wont be a massive blow. Plus guys like Hopkins who are ready to play more will have their opportunity finally to get ready for next year.

Reactions: dirty12

GoFronts

Sep 2, 2019
I feel like the Fronts will do minor tweaking to their roster and add depth. I know Ludwinski could fetch you a lot, but I feel like it would have to be a massive deal for them to move him. Moving him could kill the room right now. Competing both this year and next has to be the play here.

Poole left the game yesterday, and I feel like Jax Dubois from PBO would be a perfect replacement in terms of being out there to take key faceoffs, and be the third line centre. Also, he's a massive upgrade over Callens for that last OA spot.

After that, it's just adding guys that can be relied on incase of injuries. When healthy (rare, I know), I firmly believe the Fronts are the deepest in the conference and I know it's only been a few games, but they've been playing quick, decisive hockey and they look like they have all the confidence in the world. Getting hot at the right time could be the key in this wide open conference.

Post deadline lineup:

Battaglia-Ludwinski-Soto
Miedema-Frasca-Thibodeau
Hemstrom-Dubois-McNamara
Cavallin-Hopkins-Heyes

Burns-Schmidt
Holmes-Uens
McGowan-Chromiak

Vaccari
Downey (bye Salajko lol)

Extras: Williamson, Poole (haven't heard anything about his injury, could be Cavallin here instead), and then a depth forward acquisition.

Then we have Weir, Bergeron, Velliaris to be called up just in case.

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
I wonder if the Fronts look at Jacob Frasca as a Callens upgrade, could fill Poole's spot (based on his injury history I'm assuming the worst - I hope I'm wrong).

If they do trade Ludwinski, I hope there's a young player involved as opposed to picks, or the picks they get are immediately flipped for either an 04 that will return as an OA given the lack of options or an impact 05.

As for picks - the Fronts have 2 seconds this year, Barrie's and North Bay's. I'd be kinda surprised if they pick both - Barrie's will likely have a lot more value given the standings but that also means they're a lot more likely to get a player that can step in.

I'd have to imagine their first pick next year is on the table for a trade, but since they can't trade second rounders the year they're drafted (I think), it makes more sense to move this year's picks rather than draft someone because the chances a 2nd rounder can be an impact on a team that hypothetically should be going for it are quite low.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
I feel like the Fronts will do minor tweaking to their roster and add depth. I know Ludwinski could fetch you a lot, but I feel like it would have to be a massive deal for them to move him. Moving him could kill the room right now. Competing both this year and next has to be the play here.

Poole left the game yesterday, and I feel like Jax Dubois from PBO would be a perfect replacement in terms of being out there to take key faceoffs, and be the third line centre. Also, he's a massive upgrade over Callens for that last OA spot.

After that, it's just adding guys that can be relied on incase of injuries. When healthy (rare, I know), I firmly believe the Fronts are the deepest in the conference and I know it's only been a few games, but they've been playing quick, decisive hockey and they look like they have all the confidence in the world. Getting hot at the right time could be the key in this wide open conference.

Post deadline lineup:

Battaglia-Ludwinski-Soto
Miedema-Frasca-Thibodeau
Hemstrom-Dubois-McNamara
Cavallin-Hopkins-Heyes

Burns-Schmidt
Holmes-Uens
McGowan-Chromiak

Vaccari
Downey (bye Salajko lol)

Extras: Williamson, Poole (haven't heard anything about his injury, could be Cavallin here instead), and then a depth forward acquisition.

Then we have Weir, Bergeron, Velliaris to be called up just in case.
Playing the way ludwinski has been playing lately I feel like they will absolutely get a massive deal for him.

At the very least they’ll get a ton of picks for him, but I wouldn’t be shocked to see the fronts try and pick up an impact young player and some picks to go with.

I like that as an upgrade over callens for sure or Jacob frasca as leafs4life just suggested.

Oddly enough- isn’t there another frasca potentially getting drafted this year lol? And he’s a d man? If fronts get Jacob and then this new kid they’ll pretty much have the whole damn family tree LOL

Reactions: Section5Petes

GoFronts

Sep 2, 2019
I wonder if the Fronts look at Jacob Frasca as a Callens upgrade, could fill Poole's spot (based on his injury history I'm assuming the worst - I hope I'm wrong).

If they do trade Ludwinski, I hope there's a young player involved as opposed to picks, or the picks they get are immediately flipped for either an 04 that will return as an OA given the lack of options or an impact 05.

As for picks - the Fronts have 2 seconds this year, Barrie's and North Bay's. I'd be kinda surprised if they pick both - Barrie's will likely have a lot more value given the standings but that also means they're a lot more likely to get a player that can step in.

I'd have to imagine their first pick next year is on the table for a trade, but since they can't trade second rounders the year they're drafted (I think), it makes more sense to move this year's picks rather than draft someone because the chances a 2nd rounder can be an impact on a team that hypothetically should be going for it are quite low.
Agreed. Both seconds should honestly be out the door. Whether it's flipping them for 2nds down the line, or bringing in an upgrade somewhere. No way those players we would draft are in the picture for us any time soon.

Frasca definitely wouldn't be bad at all.
Playing the way ludwinski has been playing lately I feel like they will absolutely get a massive deal for him.

At the very least they’ll get a ton of picks for him, but I wouldn’t be shocked to see the fronts try and pick up an impact young player and some picks to go with.

I like that as an upgrade over callens for sure or Jacob frasca as leafs4life just suggested.

Oddly enough- isn’t there another frasca potentially getting drafted this year lol? And he’s a d man? If fronts get Jacob and then this new kid they’ll pretty much have the whole damn family tree LOL
There's two more Frasca's to come into the league still lol. Apparently they keep getting better the younger they get, that's what I've heard at least

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Agreed. Both seconds should honestly be out the door. Whether it's flipping them for 2nds down the line, or bringing in an upgrade somewhere. No way those players we would draft are in the picture for us any time soon.

Frasca definitely wouldn't be bad at all.

There's two more Frasca's to come into the league still lol. Apparently they keep getting better the younger they get, that's what I've heard at least
I agree about the draft picks. If it is a go for it year next year- you can’t trade second round picks I don’t think the fronts are done here yet. I think at the very least they’ll be swapping those picks with some other team pushing the picks back a year atleast

And I’ve heard the gianni one (the youngest) is supposed to be very very good. Not sure what age group he is in but I’m sure even then the fronts will have their eyes on him lol

GoFronts

Sep 2, 2019
I agree about the draft picks. If it is a go for it year next year- you can’t trade second round picks I don’t think the fronts are done here yet. I think at the very least they’ll be swapping those picks with some other team pushing the picks back a year atleast

And I’ve heard the gianni one (the youngest) is supposed to be very very good. Not sure what age group he is in but I’m sure even then the fronts will have their eyes on him lol
So there's Nick Frasca (D) who is draft eligible this year and projected to be a mid second round pick, and then Gianni is 12, so still a ways away. Insane hockey genes in the Frasca family lol

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I agree.

I have been looking at guys like Jacob Leblanc on sarnia, Donovan McCoy on Peterborough, Matthew mayich on Ottawa(don’t think he will make pro next year), Luca Marelli on Oshawa, Tristan Bertucci on Flint, Kashawn Aitcheson on Barrie and Spencer Sova on Erie as some good options here.

I don’t expect all of them to be up for grabs but I expect all of them to be back for next year and be some of the top defencemen in the league

I agree they may need ludwinski to win the division but I still think they could get at the very least second place in the division without him.

All comes down to the next bit to decide if they go all out this year or if they save it for next year. I feel it would be better to blow the brains out next year.
If you can not dance with Brantford and Mississauga this year there is no way you will do it next year. They are going to be too powerful and have a lot more picks. Not impossible next year just a tough road and again they have to have the defence to do it.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
So there's Nick Frasca (D) who is draft eligible this year and projected to be a mid second round pick, and then Gianni is 12, so still a ways away. Insane hockey genes in the Frasca family lol
Ah I see! Wasn’t sure where he was projected but knew the draft year was this year. Mid second round pick and we have 2 second round picks here currently. If they don’t swap them with someone else maybe we have another frasca added to the fronts family

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
If you can not dance with Brantford and Mississauga this year there is no way you will do it next year. They are going to be too powerful and have a lot more picks. Not impossible next year just a tough road and again they have to have the defence to do it.
Beast our defence to start the year next year in all likelyhood will be way better than this year. Yes we’re losing Schmidt and Holmes but we will have another year of burns (who I suspect next year will be in the running for dman of the year), Chromiak will have an nhl camp under his belt and probably continue his strong play as of late carrying it into next season. McGowan will only get bigger and stronger (and better on d hopefully too) Williamson I expect to take a big jump with more ice time, velliaris will make the jump next year who is very fast and big(gonna be a real good stay at home d man), they’ll probably get an import goalie or d man as well, uens will probably get better too. And if they draft a d man in the first round maybe they play as a 6th/7th d man. Fronts are gonna be loaded next year bias aside. Also they’ll probably trade for an OA d man too next year. Vaccari and salajko who are young goalies will have another year in their belt, guys like miedema, frasca, Soto, thibodeau, Hopkins I expect to really lead the team and weir will be up there too I’m sure along with the rest of them

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Beast our defence to start the year next year in all likelyhood will be way better than this year. Yes we’re losing Schmidt and Holmes but we will have another year of burns (who I suspect next year will be in the running for dman of the year), Chromiak will have an nhl camp under his belt and probably continue his strong play as of late carrying it into next season. McGowan will only get bigger and stronger (and better on d hopefully too) Williamson I expect to take a big jump with more ice time, velliaris will make the jump next year who is very fast and big(gonna be a real good stay at home d man), they’ll probably get an import goalie or d man as well, uens will probably get better too. And if they draft a d man in the first round maybe they play as a 6th/7th d man. Fronts are gonna be loaded next year bias aside. Also they’ll probably trade for an OA d man too next year. Vaccari and salajko who are young goalies will have another year in their belt, guys like miedema, frasca, Soto, thibodeau, Hopkins I expect to really lead the team and weir will be up there too I’m sure along with the rest of them
I am not saying you guys are going to be bad Ithink you are right if things are done properly and they do not do the trade away the future for stars trick that they should be able to establish themselves as a team for a few years.

I know everyone wants an M CUP but to me the important thing for hte Fronts is just to make a playoff run that includes beating competitive teams.

You have a lot of returning players and I agree that it is possible that the D will be better but it is also posible that seome of these guys have reached their peak. That is why I say IF THEY BECAUSE WE have no idea until the season starts what we are going to have.

Will Vaccari get better I think he is great now. Will Salajko be better who knows with the lack of icetime he really is not learning.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
I am not saying you guys are going to be bad Ithink you are right if things are done properly and they do not do the trade away the future for stars trick that they should be able to establish themselves as a team for a few years.

I know everyone wants an M CUP but to me the important thing for hte Fronts is just to make a playoff run that includes beating competitive teams.

You have a lot of returning players and I agree that it is possible that the D will be better but it is also posible that seome of these guys have reached their peak. That is why I say IF THEY BECAUSE WE have no idea until the season starts what we are going to have.

Will Vaccari get better I think he is great now. Will Salajko be better who knows with the lack of icetime he really is not learning.
I do believe the fronts will win a round this year assuming they’re the 2-4 seed (Sudbury 1). If they play brantford or Mississauga in the playoffs I think it would be tight- any team could win. I think the clear favourite in the east is Sudbury. As long as they don’t play them second round I could see them going as far as the east finals this year if they don’t trade ludwinski.

Salajko has gotten better with every game he has played. Started from the bottom and now he’s alright. I assume his progression will continue. Vaccari is great but plays too much and obviously gets fatigued. But when he is on his game he steals games and if he was on his game for a series in the playoffs. Teams better watch out.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I do believe the fronts will win a round this year assuming they’re the 2-4 seed (Sudbury 1). If they play brantford or Mississauga in the playoffs I think it would be tight- any team could win. I think the clear favourite in the east is Sudbury. As long as they don’t play them second round I could see them going as far as the east finals this year if they don’t trade ludwinski.

Salajko has gotten better with every game he has played. Started from the bottom and now he’s alright. I assume his progression will continue. Vaccari is great but plays too much and obviously gets fatigued. But when he is on his game he steals games and if he was on his game for a series in the playoffs. Teams better watch out.
Do not count out Brantford they are going to be tough down the line.

This is a team that has a bad habit of driving to be the top team and then getting hammered in the first round. Heaven help if you have to play the petes int he firt round LOL

Salajko has played only 4 games ( throw out London) you really can not say he is playing better. Ottawa is a team that is in denial and rebuiding.

Mississauga is going to have a good teamand have probably one of the best goalies avail in net.

Also inorder for you guys to really compete you need to get the defence sorted and i am not sure if you can.

In order for you to put on a big push then you are going to play out Vaccari.

zaluty

May 30, 2007
Kingston
Our defence is playing a lot better lately. The addition of Schmidt has really stabilized it and Mann getting his system implemented has produced results. Certainly was not impressed with Ottawa's defence this weekend. Is it good enough? I would like one more to make sur but I imagine most of the teams would say that.

Reactions: frontsfan67

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
I agree he’s definitely taken the eyes of some scouts I’m sure. And this off season even though he last he worked on his skating lots clearly, if he does that again I’m sure he will be that much better. Soto might get drafted but I think the more likely option is that he gets a FA invite to a rookie camp

Not a full on sell, maybe just Donovan. They’re the team to watch imo.

I wonder if they’ll sell ludwinski- you gotta think his trade value is through the roof right now
Brantford isn’t moving Dono. They specifically went out got Hamara so both of their Ottawa draft picks could develop together. (Ottawa Sens owns Branford) they intend to use Brantford to house their prospects and develop them to the Ahl & NHL.

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
This is a team that has a bad habit of driving to be the top team and then getting hammered in the first round. Heaven help if you have to play the petes int he firt round LOL
I know the history you're referring to but there is no chance the Petes could beat Kingston in a playoff series this year. Nick Ritchie isn't walking through that door lol

GoFronts

Sep 2, 2019
Another OA possibility that could very well be in play is Anson Thornton. Not sure if it was mentioned here or not but he's apparently being sent back to Barrie before the deadline. That would be great for both the rest of our season, but also just the experience he can give to Vaccari. He played a couple games in the AHL this year, has gone through two NHL training camps now....could be huge. Having no question marks in net would be nice lol

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Do not count out Brantford they are going to be tough down the line.

Salajko has played only 4 games ( throw out London) you really can not say he is playing better. Ottawa is a team that is in denial and rebuiding.

Mississauga is going to have a good teamand have probably one of the best goalies avail in net.

Also inorder for you guys to really compete you need to get the defence sorted and i am not sure if you can.

In order for you to put on a big push then you are going to play out Vaccari.
Not counting them out as I said I think the fronts can beat them. I never said they would beat them.

If the fronts play the Pete’s they will absolutely slaughter Peterborough without beck, smith, Mayer and even potentially McCoy lol.

Beast I watch every game no offence but I think I have a little more credibility here than you do being a fan of a different team. Salajko and his confidence is absolutely better than when he started vs London.

It’s like me saying stonehouse is overrated and donoso is up and down like a toilet seat. That’s my opinions but they might not necessarily be true.

Defence is great right now in the small sample size with people back we’re 4-0 and have outscored everyone heavily as well.

Another OA possibility that could very well be in play is Anson Thornton. Not sure if it was mentioned here or not but he's apparently being sent back to Barrie before the deadline. That would be great for both the rest of our season, but also just the experience he can give to Vaccari. He played a couple games in the AHL this year, has gone through two NHL training camps now....could be huge. Having no question marks in net would be nice lol
I agree I think the fronts may be in on him.

Vaccari is great but it would be nice to not have to worry about fatigue.

To me their offence is set,

defence is really starting to come alive as long as they’re healthy,

just the only thing is in goal where they need a backup of some sort with experience.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Not counting them out as I said I think the fronts can beat them. I never said they would beat them.

If the fronts play the Pete’s they will absolutely slaughter Peterborough without beck, smith, Mayer and even potentially McCoy lol.

Beast I watch every game no offence but I think I have a little more credibility here than you do being a fan of a different team. Salajko and his confidence is absolutely better than when he started vs London.

It’s like me saying stonehouse is overrated and donoso is up and down like a toilet seat. That’s my opinions but they might not necessarily be true.

Defence is great right now in the small sample size with people back we’re 4-0 and have outscored everyone heavily as well.

I agree I think the fronts may be in on him.

Vaccari is great but it would be nice to not have to worry about fatigue.

To me their offence is set,

defence is really starting to come alive as long as they’re healthy,

just the only thing is in goal where they need a backup of some sort with experience.
I am sure Salajko's confidence is bett that it was after London hell anything would be better than what that previous thing did to him. But we have only seen him in 4 games and Mann burnt out Vaccari due to lack of confidence in Salajko IMO. There wsa no real need to play Baccari that much and there were games he could have slid him into.

Let's see what hey do with him for the rest of the season. That is going to make the determnatin.

As to defence loking good give me a break. You say that the Petes are a bad team at the start of your post. Ottwa isn ot a scoring team and has a ot of issues and no offence.

So really since the christmas break they have ot been tested.

Earllier you ware saying that they needed a strong D sonow are you saying that this is a defence that could take you into the playoffs.

As to being an only 67 fan I can tellou that that is incorrect. I hae cheered and watched and cried with the Fronts since they were the CDNs.

However, I had more of a chance to be part of the organization in Ottawa and got to know the players and fans in the 90's.

When I came backt o kingtonin the late 90 it was the Mav era and the team sucked.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
Our defence is playing a lot better lately. The addition of Schmidt has really stabilized it and Mann getting his system implemented has produced results. Certainly was not impressed with Ottawa's defence this weekend. Is it good enough? I would like one more to make sur but I imagine most of the teams would say that.
You take out 25% of your roster and see how it works for the team overall. Say for example you had Heyes, Soto, McNamara, Burns and Vacarri out it would make things a lot more difficult.

Ottawa has it problems but missing Foster, Dever, Barlas, Smyth and Mackenzie makes it an issue when filling out the roster. In addition, our import is gone for the season.

Dependent on the status of these injuries we may just have to sell. JB will have to make that decision.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
sorry, projected by who?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad