Kingston Frontenacs 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 4)

FrontalLobe

Feb 23, 2023
With the Guindon move offiicial, based on the draft pick DB the Fronts still have:

4 2s, (2 -'26, 2 - '28)
5 3s (1 - '25, 1 - '26, 1 - '27, 2 - '28)
3 4s (2 - '25, 1 - '26)
4 5s (1 - '25, 1 - '26, 2 - '27)

Assuming any Frasca return has at least 3-4 premium picks (possibly less if they get a player for him), they'll be in decent shape to be a buyer this year.

Needs: 2nd pair D (Not convinced Uens/McGowan is enough)
Winger depth (After Battaglia, Hopkins, Soto, Uronen all they have signed are Weir, Buttar and McQuaig)

I'm more and more starting to think Heyes starts the year as the 3rd OA because of the lack of winger depth - but there's still tons of time for more moves.
You are forgetting about Miedema in the signed wingers. He wants out but don't think he will be moved and he really doesn't have any leverage imo.

Heyes will definitely start the year as the third OA. There is no way Kingston makes a another preseason move for an OA until they are 100 percent certain on where Ludwinski lands.

If Ludwinski were to return, with Pienemmi coming, and if Frasca gets moved for some solid picks that we turn into an impact 05 D, or Mews? it could make for an exciting year for Fronts fans.

Or how about a pipe dream of Maholtra still going to Guelph in a deal for a player like Cam Allen and then still have Frasca picks for a deadline deal. Don't take this last part serious please. Just thinking out loud.

Last edited:
Reactions: frontsfan67

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
You are forgetting about Miedema in the signed wingers. He wants out but don't think he will be moved and he really doesn't have any leverage imo.

Heyes will definitely start the year as the third OA. There is no way Kingston makes a another preseason move for an OA until they are 100 percent certain on where Ludwinski lands.

If Ludwinski were to return, with Pienemmi coming, and if Frasca gets moved for some solid picks that we turn into an 04 D or an impact 05 D, or Mews? it could make for an exciting year for Fronts fans.

Or how about a pipe dream of Maholtra still going to Guelph in a deal for a player like Cam Allen and then still have Frasca picks for a deadline deal. Don't take this last part serious please. Just thinking out loud.
Whoops wrote Hopkins instead of Miedema, point still stands though.

I think if an OA becomes available that is a reasonable cost, the Fronts shouldn't pass on it in hopes of a Ludwinski return. Then if he does come back, at that point you can move an OA to open room - kind of like what Ottawa did with Lawrence last year.

Reactions: FrontalLobe

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Malholtra committed to Boston university one of the best NCAA hockey programs

Safe as ever to assume he isn’t coming to the OHL

Maybe cooper did this on purpose since we are blowing our brains out this year I think it’s safe to assume and we would start the rebuild next year with 2 first round picks and trade the remaining players like Battaglia to fill back up the cup board?

Reactions: Section5Petes

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Malholtra committed to Boston university one of the best NCAA hockey programs

Safe as ever to assume he isn’t coming to the OHL

Maybe cooper did this on purpose since we are blowing our brains out this year I think it’s safe to assume and we would start the rebuild next year with 2 first round picks and trade the remaining players like Battaglia to fill back up the cup board?
you can still draft a kid and trade him if he’s coming and get way more. cooper called a bluff that was never there

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
you can still draft a kid and trade him if he’s coming and get way more. cooper called a bluff that was never there
Yeah true.

Now that it’s Boston university he committed to… Do you think that will affect a package around him? Like will some team pay less since it’s probably even more unlikely he comes now with them having such a good program.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Yeah true.

Now that it’s Boston university he committed to… Do you think that will affect a package around him? Like will some team pay less since it’s probably even more unlikely he comes now with them having such a good program.
look at the hage trade. honestly all your going to get is your pick back

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
look at the hage trade. honestly all your going to get is your pick back
Ah alright

Wouldn’t have used him too much anyways this year but sucks we can’t use him in a package for a guy like Barlow atleast

Atleast next year hopefully they don’t have as many people going to the bchl/ushl/OJHL and they can build around 2 players

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
If you are preparing for the playoffs, you don’t need to be hasty. You only need to be ready for the deadline. It pays to be patient sometimes. That November deadline to get down to four OA’s may prove to be painful for teams potentially holding on to excess OA’s. You also give players like Hopkins an opportunity to show what he has. If he shows as regressed instead of improved, does that change the strategy for the team?

IMO, if you are acquiring an OA early, it is either because you feel it is cheaper now than at the deadline OR you are jsut trying to get something cheap as a placeholder. This is neither. If Kingston were to make Guindon available at the deadline as a player projecting to score 30-80, they’d only get what they paid for him in return, maybe less if it is a buyers market.

I think they’re acquiring early for playoff seeding

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Ah alright

Wouldn’t have used him too much anyways this year but sucks we can’t use him in a package for a guy like Barlow atleast

Atleast next year hopefully they don’t have as many people going to the bchl/ushl/OJHL and they can build around 2 players

I kinda like the idea of Brampton and Kingston securing their 1st. The number of first picks available less, the number of sellers won’t be

Reactions: OMG67

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
If you are preparing for the playoffs, you don’t need to be hasty. You only need to be ready for the deadline. It pays to be patient sometimes. That November deadline to get down to four OA’s may prove to be painful for teams potentially holding on to excess OA’s. You also give players like Hopkins an opportunity to show what he has. If he shows as regressed instead of improved, does that change the strategy for the team?

IMO, if you are acquiring an OA early, it is either because you feel it is cheaper now than at the deadline OR you are jsut trying to get something cheap as a placeholder. This is neither. If Kingston were to make Guindon available at the deadline as a player projecting to score 30-80, they’d only get what they paid for him in return, maybe less if it is a buyers market.
Depends on what value you place on having a player come in before training camp and learning the room, systems, structure etc vs coming in at the deadline. What added value do they see in having that higher end OA for a full year vs waiting until closer to the deadline hoping to get a discount on a similar type of player they needed at the start of the year? How might the team benefit from the added time to establish chemistry and the veteran player to establish themselves as a leader in the room? Maybe it's subjective but I think there's far more to consider from Kingston's point of view than straight up asset cost.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Ah alright

only way you get him now is Hopkins and picks

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
only way you get him now is Hopkins and picks
Yes and I don’t think cooper would do that. I would hope not- Hopkins is going to be a breakout guy.

If they could somehow convince OS to take Weir with a crap load of picks and maybe one of our 07 d’s like mondoux I’d do that in a heart beat.

Owen sound will get way better offers though I assume such as Parker Vaughan from Barrie

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Yes and I don’t think cooper would do that. I would hope not- Hopkins is going to be a breakout guy.

If they could somehow convince OS to take Weir with a crap load of picks and maybe one of our 07 d’s like mondoux I’d do that in a heart beat.

Owen sound will get way better offers though I assume such as Parker Vaughan from Barrie
mondoux May not make your team so I doubt he would bring much value

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
mondoux May not make your team so I doubt he would bring much value
I agree but I’m saying maybe he would make Owen sounds team so potentially bringing some value.

Then weir prob would be a top 6 forward there. Should get his chances there- can’t see him playing top 6 for us this year and it’s his draft year.

Regardless better packages I highly doubt Kingston gets Barlow. Prob goes to Barrie/brantford or maybe Oshawa but they don’t have as many picks I think.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
No matter where he plays this season, he will be a beast! Will be a dominant force.
100%. I’m just saying you’re not going to get much better linemates offensively at this level than goyette and Dvorsky so who will replace those 2?

Happens to most players where they struggle with a less talented roster.

Jason Robertson in the year he won the chl scoring race and the year he was traded from kingston had “only” 38 pts in 24 games for a 1.58ppg but when he got traded to Niagara he really lit it up with better linemates. 79 pts in 38 games and a 2.07ppg

Musty will be great regardless obviously but I’m saying he will be even better on a different team unless they get him some real talented linemates. I’d expect a 1.5-1.75ppg with Sudbury and if he got traded to the right team- 2-2.25ppg

Reason why I think Rehkopf wins it over musty is because he’s going to have some really solid linemates with him from start to finish and there’s not a huge skill gap between musty and Rehkopf anyways.

However there’s another factor into all this- an OA potentially leading the league in scoring. Gotta think wakely can be that guy. He may not be as good but he won’t be missing any time for the world juniors so if he stays healthy he could be right there with them.

Wolf on a Wire

Sep 18, 2022
100%. I’m just saying you’re not going to get much better linemates offensively at this level than goyette and Dvorsky so who will replace those 2?

Jason Robertson in the year he won the chl scoring race and the year he was traded from kingston had “only” 38 pts in 24 games for a 1.58ppg but when he got traded to Niagara he really lit it up with better linemates. 79 pts in 38 games and a 2.07ppg

Musty will be great regardless obviously but I’m saying he will be even better on a different team unless they get him some real talented linemates. I’d expect a 1.5-1.75ppg with Sudbury and if he got traded to the right team- 2-2.25ppg

Reason why I think Rehkopf wins it over musty is because he’s going to have some really solid linemates with him from start to finish and there’s not a huge skill gap between musty and Rehkopf anyways.

However there’s another factor into all this- an OA potentially leading the league in scoring. Gotta think wakely can be that guy. He may not be as good but he won’t be missing any time for the world juniors so if he stays healthy he could be right there with them.
Fair enough. Delic, Villie, Walton, Pharand should provide some support to Musty to get him close to a 2ppg pace.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013

I think Anthony Romani has a good chance to win the scoring title he was close last year.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
I think Anthony Romani has a good chance to win the scoring title he was close last year.
Maybe. Cowan has a chance too if he’s back. All these guys will be at the wjc though so honestly just depends on linemates and if they stay healthy the whole season

AGranderson

Nov 20, 2022
Absolutely massive overpay, hilarious, awful awful awful trade, tough to be a fronts fan right now I’m sure watching that dumping on him. Way & I mean way better OA’s out there available. Tough to watch year after year

• Haha

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
Absolutely massive overpay, hilarious, awful awful awful trade, tough to be a fronts fan right now I’m sure watching that dumping on him. Way & I mean way better OA’s out there available. Tough to watch year after year
What available OA centers are better? Dalyn Wakely is definitely one but he would likely go for much more that what the Fronts gave up. Yeah it's a little bit more than I would've expected (I was hoping a 2/3 or 2/4) - but if they wanted their guy then so be it. To call it awful x3 is just an overreaction

Reactions: dirty12

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
They paid extra to have the 2nd and 3rd in 2027 and 2028 I believe. They still have 3 2nds and 5 3rds in the next 4 years they can trade. Haven’t even traded frasca yet which is apparently going to be another 5/6 picks.

They’ll be fine. They would’ve paid way more for Dalyn wakely who is quite literally the only other OA C that is better than him and up for trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad