Kingston Frontenacs 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 3)

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
I think a lot of the Wakely speculation is due to NB having a bare cupboard and needing to sell off now.
It sounds like Kingston may be a front runner but i could see Oshawa getting involved.
I agree. I can see them selling off wakely and van steensel

Romani probably too as he is an 05 and had 58 goals over 100pts, he will play ahl or nhl almost certainly in 2025-2026 unless there’s injuries or he falls off the face of the earth

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
What would I even do with Wakely?
I think Wakely is exactly what Kingston needs, early.
As a passive battalion fan, I’d like to see Wakely traded early so Romani & VanSteensel can groom the offense in Procyszyn for 2-3 months.
Procyszyn is going to have a break out year I think if all these guys get traded. He will be the go to star on offence. Had a great playoffs I’m sure many NHL teams are aware of that

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Brampton** is the favourite. For the sake of confusion I’ll just call Brantford the bulldogs and Brampton the steelheads

What OA’s are going to be traded away then if Sudbury is making a run for it? They’re going to be losing some decent players whatever way you look at it.
If it’s up to me; McCoy can go. The excess OAs should be Konyen, VanVliet, and Vandenberg.
That implies keeping Collins, DeAngelis, and Delic.

That’s why I said protz and Moore will be top 4 d men this year implying 2nd line d. And they need to pick up an OA D for the top line and should draft a top d line import as well since they’re losing both Hamara(D) and Sobolev(D) for their imports

Also they have an 06 who didn’t look very promising this past season. They will 100% do something about their goaltending. Egorov needs atleast 1 more year as a backup. so whether they trade for an OA goalie like I implied they could look at Liam Sztuska on the Petes or draft a goalie in the import draft to go along with either jiracek or another import d coming this year to play on their top line above protz and moore
The top 3 OA options for Brantford are forwards, four if you count F.Xekaj. An OA goalie and Defensemen seems unlikely.
Three top 4 D and a goalie without a real OA option will be a tall order imo.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
it’ll be like hage, who is giving anything up of value if the kid isn’t coming.

such a bizarre pick/strategy
I agree. If they were going to risk the pick it should’ve been on someone like Adam Valentini or Callum croskery who may be the best d in the draft. Never made sense with malholtra. Im sure malholtra is going to be great but his stats aren’t.

Hypothetically speaking if nobody in the draft was going elsewhere and everyone was going to the OHL. Where would you rank malholtra based off current skill and potential?

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
If it’s up to me; McCoy can go. The excess OAs should be Konyen, VanVliet, and Vandenberg.
That implies keeping Collins, DeAngelis, and Delic.
Konyen will prob get a 3rd and a 4th. VanVliet will prob be a 6 or a 7th and vandenberg it depends on the market but some team that needs an OA goalie or a goalie with experience maybe like Brantford would prob pay a 4th and a 6th for him. All depends on market.
The top 3 OA options for Brantford are forwards, four if you count F.Xekaj. An OA goalie and Defensemen seems unlikely.
Three top 4 D and a goalie without a real OA option will be a tall order imo.
If I’m Brantford I’m trading bujold, okitundu and rebelo. Bujold should get a similar package to konyen. Maybe not as valuable but same tier. Okitundu and rebelo won’t get much

Xhekaj won’t be back for sure. Ahl bound

I’d try and keep brown and lavoie as OA’s and trade the rest. But wouldn’t trade bujold until I know for sure brown is back. Definitely get either an OA goalie like Sztuska or draft an import to be the starting goalie and then you either have 2 import d men or 1 import d and 1 import goalie

Reactions: Section5Petes

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Konyen will prob get a 3rd and a 4th. VanVliet will prob be a 6 or a 7th and vandenberg it depends on the market but some team that needs an OA goalie or a goalie with experience maybe like Brantford would prob pay a 4th and a 6th for him. All depends on market.

If I’m Brantford I’m trading bujold, okitundu and rebelo. Bujold should get a similar package to konyen. Maybe not as valuable but same tier. Okitundu and rebelo won’t get much

I’d try and keep brown and lavoie as OA’s and trade the rest. But wouldn’t trade bujold until I know for sure brown is back. Definitely get either an OA goalie like Sztuska or draft an import to be the starting goalie and then you either have 2 import d men or 1 import d and 1 import goalie
So what you are really saying is that, again, THE BEST WAS RIGHT.
None of the top teams are going to release any good OA until at least after trg camp

Romani will be traded at the deadline when he is at the highest value for NB

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
So what you are really saying is that, again, THE BEST WAS RIGHT.
None of the top teams are going to release any good OA until at least after trg camp

Romani will be traded at the deadline when he is at the highest value for NB
Romani will be yeah- not OA’s if they have a billion of them you cant keep them until then. Probably not before training camp unless they want out like McCoy in Sudbury- someone said he wants out not me

Last edited:
Reactions: dirty12

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013

Cole Brown is not an overage. He is 2005 born.
Romani will be yeah- not OA’s if they have a billion of them you cant keep them until then
Extra overages will be traded early in the season but overages like Dalyn Wakely, Owen Van Steelsel and Donovan McCoy will be traded at the trade deadline.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022

Extra overages will be traded early in the season but overages like Dalyn Wakely, Owen Van Steelsel and Donovan McCoy will be traded at the trade deadline.
Got him and Patrick Thomas mixed up. Thomas is the OA guy drafted by the caps not Cole brown

I agree with what you’re saying as it makes sense except for McCoy- not sure if the guy who mentioned it is right as I don’t know who they are however I believe it was posted in here a few days ago- maybe a week ago that he isn’t happy but Sudbury wants to keep him.

Also who knows what will go on- nothing before training camp obviously but the trading will probably start after that. They’re not going to trade many junior players if any in the summertime when they’re trying to enjoy their time off with their family and focus on next season.

However Connor Lockhart is one name that was traded fairly early on this year. Ya never know what will happen. Would make more sense to wait for the big fishes at the deadline obviously but if the price is right they’ll make the trade

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Got him and Patrick Thomas mixed up. Thomas is the OA guy drafted by the caps not Cole brown

I agree with what you’re saying as it makes sense except for McCoy- not sure if the guy who mentioned it is right as I don’t know who they are however I believe it was posted in here a few days ago- maybe a week ago that he isn’t happy but Sudbury wants to keep him.

Also who knows what will go on- nothing before training camp obviously but the trading will probably start after that. They’re not going to trade many junior players if any in the summertime when they’re trying to enjoy their time off with their family and focus on next season.

However Connor Lockhart is one name that was traded fairly early on this year. Ya never know what will happen. Would make more sense to wait for the big fishes at the deadline obviously but if the price is right they’ll make the trade
Connor Lockhart was the Petes fourth overage and with the start Jax Dubois had and he was a centre which Peterborough needed and the need to dress two overage defencemen, Lockhart became the odd man out. Also complicating the situation was the deadline to get down to four overages was approaching and they were wanted to protect Tucker Robertson as their fourth overage.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

Not if a team identifies one of those players as high priority and makes an appropriate offer.
Sudbury has to move two of four good OA D.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Romani will be yeah- not OA’s if they have a billion of them you cant keep them until then. Probably not before training camp unless they want out like McCoy in Sudbury- someone said he wants out not me

I fully agree but note that I said GOOD OA. An example is Ottawa they have Sirman, Smyth and Mayich

To me, Smyth and Sirman are okay but not good OA choices. Mayich is GOOD will bring the best return and have the most value for the 67s as they bring in the new players.

Reactions: frontsfan67

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014

If I have the rules right this is the last 16 year old they can sign since their 4th would have to be Malhotra (which isn't happening) - I'm assuming he'll spend the year in the CCHL but he could surprise and battle for a 4th line spot.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017

If I have the rules right this is the last 16 year old they can sign since their 4th would have to be Malhotra (which isn't happening) - I'm assuming he'll spend the year in the CCHL but he could surprise and battle for a 4th line spot.
they can sign anyone and as many as they want. only 4 can stay.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
im not sure what happens if the 1st guy no shows
Not sure either, although I assume it works like this:
Top 2 picks - spots reserved; if first round pick is traded, their spot is traded with them.
up to 2 other allowed at one time - team's choice which ones.

Reactions: dirty12

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Top 2 picks - spots reserved; if first round pick is traded, their spot is traded with them.
probably right.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
A defected player traded in the September window counts against the team trading for him. If a player is traded in January up to the trade deadline it counts against the team he is traded from. The Petes had six underages on their roster after the deadline with three players drafted in the 1st round they acquired. They could have added a seventh because they only had three that they had drafted.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
something like that.
It's worded as first two picks and any other two picks as wild cards. Maholtra was one of the first two picks

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
A defected player traded in the September window counts against the team trading for him. If a player is traded in January up to the trade deadline it counts against the team he is traded from. The Petes had six underages on their roster after the deadline with three players drafted in the 1st round they acquired. They could have added a seventh because they only had three that they had drafted.
think that is not quite right, I cannot think of a team that moved a defective player having four true rookies on full cards from their own draft class

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
delete, misread

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Geelong Cats @ Carlton Blues
    Geelong Cats @ Carlton Blues
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,500.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs Ukraine
    Slovakia vs Ukraine