News: Kings will not buy out Marian Gaborik (injured, offseason surgery)

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
I'm happy the king will give him a chance. He still has the ability to play well He did in the world cup then got hurt. I think under a update Stevens system Gaborik has a chance to recover as long as he stays healthy

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
I'm happy the king will give him a chance. He still has the ability to play well He did in the world cup then got hurt. I think under a update Stevens system Gaborik has a chance to recover as long as he stays healthy

As long as he stays healthy. How many times have we said that about Gaborik ;)

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Sounds like they were considering it, but the surgery gave them no choice. At least that what that 1st tweet reads as. 2nd one sounds more reassuring.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I have a feeling they would have bought him out of they could.

ALso he might not be getting bought out, but could still be traded @ 50% plus a sweetener.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
It'd be a little foolish, IMO, to buy him out before seeing if a change of system helps him (on top of, potentially, being healthy). He has the skill and the speed that the team desperately needs in the top 6 and wouldn't be easy to replace. The trick is to find a way to get it out of him. A new coach and giving him a better opposite winger to work with (which Lombardi severely failed to do last Summer) could go a long way.

Kinda confusing tweet, makes it sound like the team decided not to buyout Gaborik. But if he just had surgery and won't be ready for training camp then they couldn't buy him out even if they wanted to.

That's how I read it at first, too. On reconsidering it, though, I think that Helene Elliott meant it as two separate thoughts, that Blake told her that he won't be buying out Gaborik and that Blake told her that he had a procedure and won't be ready for camp. I doubt that the two were linked in Blake's mind, even though she used a comma to separate them. I think that it's an unintended result of trying to cram a bunch of info into a single tweet.

Last edited:

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
Kinda confusing tweet, makes it sound like the team decided not to buyout Gaborik. But if he just had surgery and won't be ready for training camp then they couldn't buy him out even if they wanted to.

Yea the vibe is the club wanted to move him or buyout this offseason but with the injury they will not be able to.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

yup that's what it must be :laugh:

But at the same time, if you're GM, and you can't buy out a player anyway, Blake has the right attitude. Gaborik is on the team, and maybe this procedure will make him a great player to have next season so might as well embrace the optimistic view in this case.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Well it's a bad contract so what's another year ? Brown bad too. So lucky they got Richards off the books with only a small hit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad