News: Kings will not buy out Marian Gaborik (injured, offseason surgery)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LAKings88

Formerly KOTR
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
Not shocked. Still hoping he can find a way to positively contribute to this team going forward. If not, at least the buyout won't be as bad next year.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Only if he could stay there until the contract is up. The sad part is he will be ready by early next season so then would no longer be on ltir.

Based on his health history, he'll be on LTIR sooner rather than later.

Sacha Baron Corbin

Jan 19, 2011
Even if he was healthy enough for a buyout, years 3 and 4 of it are brutal... and a certain defenseman goes UFA around that time.

$1,125,000
$1,625,000
$3,025,000
$3,125,000
$1,325,000
$1,325,000
$1,325,000
$1,325,000

The only way I see a buyout working is if they are able to sign Drew to an extension before the bad years of the buyout kick in. But with the question marks around the team right now I doubt Doughty signs anytime soon

TheBannermen

Aug 2, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
The only way I see a buyout working is if they are able to sign Drew to an extension before the bad years of the buyout kick in. But with the question marks around the team right now I doubt Doughty signs anytime soon

Gaborik is 35 years old. Keeping him on board next season is the right move in my opinion for a couple of reasons.

First, he could retire at 36. I get it... "Why would he leave that money on the table?!" Well, for starters, his body is deteriorating and some people value their health over a few more dollars. He's near the top of the list of NHL career earnings among active players if I'm not mistaken, so I highly doubt the cash has any significant impact on his livelihood. I believe the Kings would be on the hook for a recapture penalty, but it's nothing compared to the buyout numbers.

Second, he could go on LTIR at any moment. I hope he doesn't. I hope he puts together a fantastic few seasons for the Kings, but at this point, its a legitimate possibility.

Third, he could have a bounce back season under new the new leadership and philosophy. Stevens and Blake talk about getting to the middle of the ice and producing higher percentage shots. This guy can still move and he can sure as hell shoot. If he can put together a few productive seasons for the Kings, I don't think anyone is going to be upset about having Marian Gaborik on the roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad