Kings News: Kings Re-sign Dustin Brown, 8 Years, $5.75M AAV

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

moosehead81

Jan 7, 2012
Great White North
8 years seems a little long but down the road, assuming there's no no trade/no movement clause, Brown could be a valuable asset should the team wish to go in a different direction. Good thing it's not the Flyers cause they would then either trade you or buy you out within 2years. Hopefully Brown can sustain 8 hard years given his style of play.

driller1

Dry Island Reject
Feb 4, 2010
As far as I know, front-loading under the new CBA is not like it used to be so I don't think there would be any serious recapture penalties.

Front-loading it is better in the event the Kings wanted to move him near the end of the deal to a team trying to reach the cap floor since the real dollars aren't as high. That being said, there probably isn't much variance between the last year and the first year anyways.

Man was underpaid for a long time and could have cashed in huge as a UFA. I don't think anybody should complain about this deal. It's also great to get it done before the season starts.

Nope, players who retire early have the signing team subject to recapture penalties. I can't do the math now, but teams still face a cap hit for the rest of the contract.

The Devils, for example, face $250,000 for the next 12 years. Not much, because Kovalchuk retired before the bulk of his contract was paid. A couple years later, and it would have gone up to $4 million.

Granted, there's always a buyout, but I'd rather not face any cap hit for a player off the roster.

Chris Johnston ‏@reporterchris 27m
Dustin Brown's #LAKings contract breakdown: $7.25M, $7.25M, $7M, $6.5M, $5.5M, $5.5M, $4M and $4M.

I am no CBA expert, so correct me if I am wrong.

1) Even if Brown gets hurt, he would not retire; rather, just sit back and enjoy his pay checks like Pronger and Lappy. Kings would put him on LTIR and effectively it would not impact our cap situation.

2) If he did retire, the cap hit would be the difference between the actual amount paid and the AAV spread over several years. For example, Brown's first year salary is $7.25 and his AAV is $5.75. If Brown pulled a Kovy and retired after year 1, the Kings would need to "make-up" $1.5 million in future cap space because that is how much the Kings saved by "front loading" the contract

Whiskeypete

Jul 14, 2010
Chicago
put that speculation to rest of DB wearing another jersey to rest. he earned it, the term is a bit longer than expected, but the AAV is damn good imo. the only concern is his body holding up to his style of play.

23 will be the next to hang in the rafters, next to 20 down the road

DocWest

Rock Bottom
Oct 21, 2010
Los Angeles
Brown completely deserves it. I am so happy that we're going to have him lead us for the next eight years. Dude embodies everything that it means to be a King.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Good for the Kings. DL's goal is to keep his core together for as long as possible, and how many times has Dustin Brown said over the last year and a half how special this group is, as recently as the WCF when he said because of the guys in that room, they're never out of a game or series, how much they care for each other and play that way. And you can see that in each of the leaders.
Good for the Kings, the fans and the players.

Good for the future of the Cups that will be won in LA, starting next June.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
9317030386_4e68e6ca26_b.jpg

:handclap:

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
I think it was a bit more then i was expecting but still under what he would have got on the open market for sure. Im happy to have Brown as a King for the next 8 years Another great job done by Dean. In Dean i trust

HolyShot*

At least his cap hit isn't that bad. He's still tradeable. Do it Deano.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Brown will likely be up there, but it will come after Blake's. I am sure Blake will likely have his name next to Robitaille's.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan

That is awesome. Save room for Quick and Kopitar though :)

Happy for Brown that he got paid huge after taking a discount the last time around. I said it in the other thread, he is every bit as important as Carter and Richards and deserves to be paid that much on a long term contract.

Hopefully he truly is a King for life, even after he retires this is the kind of guy you want to be around the organization for a long long time. Dustin Brown is everything you want a pro athlete to be.

Primakov!

Dec 9, 2003
Yesteryear
Less money owed late in the deal, in a buyout you pay the cash owed, not the cap hit.

If the formula hasn't changed then cap hit still plays a part.

As far as I know, front-loading under the new CBA is not like it used to be so I don't think there would be any serious recapture penalties.

I haven't seen anything indicating that the ordinary buyout process has changed in terms of the formula, so if it's still the same then it's not going to work out the way you guys are thinking.

Why is it bad that it's front loaded?

This is all predicated on if things are still calculated the same, but on a front loaded contract you essentially enjoyed the benefits of paying the player at a higher rate than what their cap hit dictates, which allows you to stay under the salary cap ceiling and offer the player more cash upfront to entice them to join your organization.

So it bites you when you try to do a buyout because when there's a difference between their cap hit and actual numbers you're buying out you get a positive buyout cap hit number.

Conversely if it was back loaded then you actually gain cap space back depending on how the numbers crunch out in the end, but that's rare. I haven't actually seen a back loaded contract signed since Alexander Frolov's deal with the Kings ran out way back when.

no name

Nov 28, 2002
Tornado Alley
Visit site
While I don't think the term is bad, I don't understand some peoples input in this thread saying that he needed to be paid more because the last contract wasn't good for him. The contract was just fine for him at the time and he agreed to it. Besides, overpaying somebody based off the last contract is essentially robbing from Peter to pay Paul. That will always hurt you in the long run.

Face Wash

Mar 17, 2002
Visit site
In the last 5 years only Kopi has more goals than Dustin Brown for the Kings and Kopi only has 4 more goals so it's a virtual wash. Dustin has averaged 27 goals per 82 games the last 5 seasons. Now I'm not sure what that all means...but it seems to me he does a bit more than just hitting.

Face Wash

Mar 17, 2002
Visit site
Its actually $5,875,000 for Brown. A little higher than a initially reported. Might wanna change the the title of this thread. per capgeek.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad