Kings News: Kings Re-sign Dustin Brown, 8 Years, $5.75M AAV

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeadInjury

Jul 30, 2005
The thing I find most distrubing about this news is that Dennis Bernstein broke it. Now I have to think twice before just ignoring him.

no name

Nov 28, 2002
Tornado Alley
Visit site
I don't really care for it being front loaded. The term is a bit more than I'd care for as well. He's earned it though. He's more complete than guys like Clarkson and Horton with less injury issues.

KingPurpleDinosaur

Bandwagon Kings Fan
Dec 17, 2002
irvine, ca
www.anteaterhockey.com
had Brown hit the market, conservatively thinking, he would have been offered at least $7 mil x 8 years with No Movement. This guy (and Quick) took a huge hometown discount. We really take Brownie for granted, I don't think there's a team in the league that wouldn't have put in huge offers for this guy. Just to put it into perspective, Wings just signed a 40 year old Alfredsson to $5.5 mil.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Don't like the fact it's frontloaded. With his style of play he may have to retire early, and that could be a big cap recapture penalty.

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
Good contract, glad to have him for life. Would have got more on the open market if you look at the Clowe and Clarkson signings considering Brown is a few tiers up and a team captain. Also remember his last contract was a bargain so I am glad they gave him a little more this time. The guy is a true warrior.

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Brown's got his family to take care of. Now he doesn't have to worry about having to move and all that. Good news for the Kings and good news for the Browns.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
Don't like the fact it's frontloaded. With his style of play he may have to retire early, and that could be a big cap recapture penalty.

Front loading it makes for an easy buy-out. I know you can't buy-out an injured player, but their is always LTIR.

EDIT: Wait, if he retired it would just come off the books, this isn't a 35+ deal.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
As far as I know, front-loading under the new CBA is not like it used to be so I don't think there would be any serious recapture penalties.

Front-loading it is better in the event the Kings wanted to move him near the end of the deal to a team trying to reach the cap floor since the real dollars aren't as high. That being said, there probably isn't much variance between the last year and the first year anyways.

Man was underpaid for a long time and could have cashed in huge as a UFA. I don't think anybody should complain about this deal. It's also great to get it done before the season starts.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Why is it bad that it's front loaded?

04678589.jpg

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Front loading it makes for an easy buy-out. I know you can't buy-out an injured player, but their is always LTIR.

EDIT: Wait, if he retired it would just come off the books, this isn't a 35+ deal.

Nope, players who retire early have the signing team subject to recapture penalties. I can't do the math now, but teams still face a cap hit for the rest of the contract.

The Devils, for example, face $250,000 for the next 12 years. Not much, because Kovalchuk retired before the bulk of his contract was paid. A couple years later, and it would have gone up to $4 million.

Granted, there's always a buyout, but I'd rather not face any cap hit for a player off the roster.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
You do realize that's one HELL of a hometown discount (see Ryane Clowe who has 20 goals the last two seasons and a $4.85M deal). DB23's done the hometown discount thing once, he won't do it again to that degree. 6 yr/$5.75M or 8 yr/$5.25. If DL wants it lower than that, he better be willing to break with policy and give him an NMC of some length.

I'm quite happy to be wrong. If anyone deserved to get UFA market value, or close to it, it was Brownie. Anything under $6 million is with me.

I guess some people are gonna hate it, thinking he was worth like 4.5M. 5.75M is not a bargain but it's a good deal.

I was the one who said $4.5 million, and I'm anything but hating it. Brown was the last player from our core we needed to lock up and we did just that. I'm perfectly fine with this.

"This is a severe overpayment for a lackluster, soft player with no leaderships skills!"

- Ducks Fans

Well, if any fan base would know anything about overpaying players....

He'll be 37 when it expires. He still should be playing. Likely not at a top two line level (though it is possibly) but he still should be playing.

Papa Mocha 15

I love the smell of ice in the morning.
Nov 27, 2008
Hanging with Brad Doty.

I like the fact that it is frontloaded because of the style of play. Not too many players are willing to risk the hits he dishes out and his body will show evidence of the mileage much quicker. I think he's earned it. Anybody else, I would certainly agree with you.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
I was pretty sure it was going to be north of 5.5 million.

I am ok with that, Brown deserves every penny of that money.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
Chris Johnston ‏@reporterchris 27m
Dustin Brown's #LAKings contract breakdown: $7.25M, $7.25M, $7M, $6.5M, $5.5M, $5.5M, $4M and $4M.

taz346

Jan 8, 2008
Not there, but here
Congrats to Brown and a tip of the hat to DL for getting these core players tied up with long contracts and reasonable money. Nice to know they'll be around for awhile.
Congrats also to Blake and good luck with your new job. Past is past and no need for anyone to look back, as things can't be changed. Can only go forward and hope for the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad