Kings protection list leaks

LAKings88

Formerly KOTR
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
The thing about Lewis that scares me is that I feel LA really values him. Maybe enough to send incentive for Vegas not to take him. I say just roll with it. Not gonna cripple LA.

FPotvin39

Pad Stacker
Jan 18, 2007
So Cal
L.A.-based hockey writer John Hoven got the list of protected players for the Los Angeles Kings, which confirms that they will indeed protect eight-skaters, including four defenseman, rather than the 7/3 protection scheme. Among the safe are Anze Kopitar, Jeff Carter, Tyler Toffoli, Tanner Pearson, Drew Doughty, Jake Muzzin, Alec Martinez, and the key decision, Derek Forbort. Star goalie Jonathan Quick was also obviously protected. While the Kings succeeded in protecting the most valuable players on the roster, they still have left defenseman Brayden McNabb and a large assortment of forwards including Trevor Lewis, Nic Dowd, and Nick Shore open to selection.

Early Expansion Protection News: Capitals, Kings, Flames, Predators, And More
https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2017/06/expansion-protection-predators.html

* sorry this was basically already posted

Last edited:

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Bottom six energy type players on great teams always get overrated.

Kirk Maltby, Shjon Podein, Kelly Buchberger etc.

Peter James Bond II

"Man, we were right there" - De-Luc-sional
Mar 5, 2015
Lewis had more ES goals than Kopitar did this season.
He's a good guy and always gives his all.

His awesome poke check of the puck off Hamhuis' stick in game 5,
causing the puck to go to Stoll who rifled it over Schneider to end that
series, will never be forgotten. Look how hard Doughty hits Stoll
in the boards, celebrating. LOL.

watch: at 10:45

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G86uUb_4RHA

I am the only person to state this. If I'm Vegas, I take Nick Shore.
DS held him down and neutered him. He's not the next coming of anything,
but he's 24, while Dowd is 27 and Lewis 30. Vegas can probably get 6 better
D than McNabb. Doughty once called Nick Shore one of the best defensive centers
in the NHL. He's not a bad player.

His last year numbers in the AHL were better than Pearson or anyone not named Toffoli. 20 goals 22 assists in 38 games. He then had 18 pts in 19 playoff games. 60 pts in 57 games. If you put up more than a point a game in the AHL at the age of 22, you do not suck. The following yr, Pearson had 32 pts in 41 games in the AHL.

Was the last more than point per game player in the AHL for the Kings. I watched him 3 yrs up close at Denver U. He's a better player than he's shown...DS neutered him to playing D first, second and third and he only focused on D. He showed a few flashes in the last few games, when the Kings were out of it. He's going to be a good third liner. I think he breaks out to
12-14 G 18-20 A 30-35 pts this year.

2014-15 AHL 38 20 22 42 16 23

Last edited:

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
I like Shore quite a bit too. Dunno if he'll ever see 30 points but he's a solid bottom sixer.

Dowd, I dunno, need more from him. I've always assumed he's let go as UFA after next year. From what I've seen, he's cheap, and that's about it. A placeholder until we see what a guy like Amadio can do in that role.

LAKings88

Formerly KOTR
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
I like Shore quite a bit too. Dunno if he'll ever see 30 points but he's a solid bottom sixer.

Dowd, I dunno, need more from him. I've always assumed he's let go as UFA after next year. From what I've seen, he's cheap, and that's about it. A placeholder until we see what a guy like Amadio can do in that role.

I've seen flashes of creativity in his game that I don't see with Shore. To bad you can't merge them into one player.

Calirose

Mar 31, 2012
6ix
Lewis. Born in Utah. Solid citizen as far as we know. Reasonable contract. Versatile. Probably a letter as soon as he gets a jersey. Really the perfect first year expansion team kind of player. That's the guy I'm taking if I'm the GM.

Exempte. I can't be the first.

hahaha, clever.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Hed probably come back and beat the **** out of half our roster for the next three years

When's the last time he "beat the ****" out of anyone? He's a fourth line scrub who barely plays and earns $1.6M.

I can find some other scrub to do Kyle Clifford's job for far less money. Oh hey, Jordan Nolan.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
Trade him for a song if given the chance. I'd sooner trot out a thousand year old Iginla if the team thinks they need toughness.

BallPointHammer

Los Angeles Kings - We're Back!
Oct 25, 2006
Maryland
It's weird to me that Lewis, Clifford, McNabb, and to an extent Shore, Dowd, and even Muzzin, Martinez get dumped on so much here, but are otherwise viewed favorably in the hockey world. For example, is Lewis that grossly overpaid for what he does or is he that valuable for what he does you don't want to lose him.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
I like Clifford he just makes a bit much but it's in line with Wilson and Martin who are similar players. The problem is neither Andreoff nor Nolan have stepped up to take his job. The opportunity has been there.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
It's weird to me that Lewis, Clifford, McNabb, and to an extent Shore, Dowd, and even Muzzin, Martinez get dumped on so much here, but are otherwise viewed favorably in the hockey world. For example, is Lewis that grossly overpaid for what he does or is he that valuable for what he does you don't want to lose him.

Lewis has a very good contract, nobody would argue that. He's my least favorite King player because you know what he's going to do with the puck before it touches his stick. You're gonna get boring. NEVER attacks the defender or the center of the ice, ALWAYS makes the safest possible play-he's basically Darryl Sutter's sub conscious on the ice. On many NHL teams Lewis is a guy you would want-on the Kings boring ass roster he's just like about 6 other skaters. The redundancy of less talented, safe hockey players is just downright boring and painful to watch and even more with Sutter behind the bench demanding it. "It's a 2-1 league". No it's not, it's just that you have coached the Kings into being able to score 1 goal a game.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
I'm just here to see if Forbort was protected. :handclap:

that was actually a hilariously accurate first half of the video how they called him a project and his pro potential. too bad about the merill, teubert, hickey et al comments haha. shows how much of a crapshoot drafting is sometimes.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

The old saying of familiarity breeds contempt. If the Kings were winning though, it would be different. Then nobody is a problem.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I am the only person to state this. If I'm Vegas, I take Nick Shore.
DS held him down and neutered him. He's not the next coming of anything,
but he's 24, while Dowd is 27 and Lewis 30. Vegas can probably get 6 better
D than McNabb. Doughty once called Nick Shore one of the best defensive centers
in the NHL. He's not a bad player.

His last year numbers in the AHL were better than Pearson or anyone not named Toffoli. 20 goals 22 assists in 38 games. He then had 18 pts in 19 playoff games. 60 pts in 57 games. If you put up more than a point a game in the AHL at the age of 22, you do not suck. The following yr, Pearson had 32 pts in 41 games in the AHL.

Was the last more than point per game player in the AHL for the Kings. I watched him 3 yrs up close at Denver U. He's a better player than he's shown...DS neutered him to playing D first, second and third and he only focused on D. He showed a few flashes in the last few games, when the Kings were out of it. He's going to be a good third liner. I think he breaks out to
12-14 G 18-20 A 30-35 pts this year.

2014-15 AHL 38 20 22 42 16 23
You have a point.

With Shore, his game in the NHL has been so bland that sometimes I forget about him. I do trust him to hold down a center spot better than Dowd or Lewis and he does have some offensive upside as you pointed out.

Shore was a -2 last year while Lewis and Dowd were -6 and -15 while all playing a similar amount of minutes.

If I was Vegas I probably would take him or McNabb over Lewis. (McNabb was terrible last year but at least his still has some upside)

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Gonna guess Nick Shore over Lewis. The 6 year gap is enough to take Shore IMO.

3 year gap. Dowd is deceptively old. Drafted 8 years ago, in June of 2009, and didn't start college hockey until September/October of 2010. Played all 4 years in college. Then 2 more seasons of all but 5 games in the AHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad