Friedman: Kings may be interested in Steve Mason

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Neuvirth makes more sense IMO.

Perhaps. But I'd still be hesitant to deal him even. Flyers finally have reliable goaltending (outside of Tuesday night's game) for the first time in decades. Will we be able to resign them both? Probably not, if they have good years. But we also aren't tanking either, so there's no reason to short ourselves.

I'm not sure the cost for Neuvy would be much cheaper, to be honest. Just a general reluctance to sell in general would drive the price up.

Delete99991

May 9, 2013
Neuvirth has been the better and more consistent goaltender since opening night last year, and it's not close.

Mason gives off a shaky vibe too imo. You get the feeling he's moody or something.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Neuvirth has been the better and more consistent goaltender since opening night last year, and it's not close.

Mason gives off a shaky vibe too imo. You get the feeling he's moody or something.

You must get a lot of feelings from your imagination.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I'm not going to touch the Quick/Mason thing, but the reality is, the Kings don't have the expendable assets to acquire the Flyers #1, even if they were interested. Especially seeing as how the Flyers would be forced to retain to even try to make it work from a Kings perspective.

I don't care who is reporting it - It doesn't work, unless its part of a much larger deal, which I cant see to be the case.

100% agree. But it IS Hextall and Lombardi we're talking about here. They could be having a few beers in the garage and working something out (IIRC the Schenn/Lecavalier thing was only one of them to begin with and brewing for a while).

Neuvirth makes more sense IMO.

Maybe it's part of the negotiation process. Just spitballing.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
100% agree. But it IS Hextall and Lombardi we're talking about here. They could be having a few beers in the garage and working something out (IIRC the Schenn/Lecavalier thing was only one of them to begin with and brewing for a while).

Maybe it's part of the negotiation process. Just spitballing.

It's entirely possible, I just don't see a great fit. You aren't going to pay Toffoli for Mason (understandably), you have no expendable top 6 forwards, and mason is worth more than a bottom 6 forward (and if we're speaking frankly, there isn't much there to be desired either. But don't worry, we're in the same boat). The desirable pieces from our ends that the Kings have wouldn't be made available for Mason. I can't even spitball an idea that has any semblance of logic. But as you said, stranger things have happened.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
This can't be stated enough. The Kings need to keep all the assets they have and cross their fingers that some of them turn into NHL players because we don't really have the cap space to improve the team any other way.

I wish you were wrong. But you're not.

Delete99991

May 9, 2013
You must get a lot of feelings from your imagination.

Or repeated comments from GMs over the years about his lack of confidence, and the way he's buried in the team's marketing packages, or the way his teammates talk about him.

Appreciate the snark though.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
I just don't see what the Kings could offer to the Flyers when they player that their getting back is only a band aid until late December/January.

They would be better off just trading future considerations for Pavelec at this point if they want to get some type of veteran. Or you know, just go full tank with Zatkoff/Budaj.

Tanking for a top 10 pick is not a bad idea when you can ice a core of Kopitar, Carter, Toffoli, Doughty, Muzzin, and quick in 2017-18. Pavelec's best feature is helping teams lose... :sarcasm:

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008

So you're saying he played better one year.

Not enough. Mason has been a stud overall in Philly.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Or repeated comments from GMs over the years about his lack of confidence, and the way he's buried in the team's marketing packages, or the way his teammates talk about him.

Appreciate the snark though.

The Flyers management and teammates only speak highly of Mason.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
LA's scenario (or last year's Montreal) are perfect examples why philly shouldn't trade neither Neuvirth/Mason

you need two legit goalies these days with the amount of injuries going around

they trade one and if the other goes down what happens then? request a trade with LA to get back their goalie???

I feel NYI makes more sense because they have three capable goalies in Halak/Greiss/Berube

Philly would be wise to keep both; makes for a solid tandem

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Considering how close the two organizations are, the only logical conclusion is that the Flyers will trade Mason to the Kings for 3rd in '17 and '18, and then the Kings will trade Mason right back to the Flyers for a 5th once Quick returns.

tony d

New poll series coming from me in June
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Given Quick costs so much and he'll be back by January or February I think the Kings go with the Zatoff/Budaj duo until Quick comes back.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Given Quick costs so much and he'll be back by January or February I think the Kings go with the Zatoff/Budaj duo until Quick comes back.

THe only thing that makes me think we will do something is that it's the 50th anniversary season and they're not gonna throw in towel. We haven't been getting NHL-level goaltending so far...maybe one of the guys catches fire but both look scared. But I agree that there's limited money and room.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Benching him in the playoffs speaks volumes

Nice to get goaltending advice from an Oilers fan.

Mason is a top 10 goalie since he joined Philly. Neuvirth is a top 3 backup. Keep both unless Stolarz or Lyon are showing they are NHL ready which won't happen until near the deadline....not now.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Please explain the claim that Mason is top 10 given the fact that he is outside of that group in all but 1 statistically relevant category for goaltenders over the past 3 seasons:

24th in GAA at 2.41
t-10 in SV% at .921
19th in SO at 7
27th in W at 41

edit: Neuvirth is a top 3 backup? He is also on his 4th team in 4 years, and was cast off by the Sabres (for Chad Johnson). They are, in this case, quite notably a team who are anything but set at the goaltender position...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad