Friedman: Kings may be interested in Steve Mason

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Even if that's true (which it has been proven to not be true)...isn't that just saying what SV% is? I think you're just further reinforcing that Mason does better work.

If all the shots he was facing were outside shots behind a curtain of a defense, then maybe you have an argument but trying to knock the guy for doing his job (stopping shots) is an odd argument.

That's just the thing, Mason does face more shots than Quick in the high danger area, but he faces like 1.2 more per game in 2015-2016, despite facing more than simply 1.2 more shots per game overall. Flyers have bad D, but not the "Makes Edmonton look like they have legendary D" argument that people use. They keep most shots to the perimeter.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Kings have very little salary cap room, and Budaj is now 4-0 as a starter. Unless the wheels come off, I expect the Kings to go with Budaj/Zatkoff (back next week) in the NHL and Lindback/Campbell in the AHL. I think the Kings goalie trade talk can take a back seat for a while. They have 5 tough games in a row coming up. Let's see how they do.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Kings have very little salary cap room, and Budaj is now 4-0 as a starter. Unless the wheels come off, I expect the Kings to go with Budaj/Zatkoff (back next week) in the NHL and Lindback/Campbell in the AHL. I think the Kings goalie trade talk can take a back seat for a while. They have 5 tough games in a row coming up. Let's see how they do.

It wont last, Buds cant handle a #1's workload, his play will eventually deteriorate. He was also good as a backup for us when he had to play a few games in a row, same goes for Condon after the 1st month Price went down. These type of goalies can't play at a high level consistently throughout the entire year.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
It wont last, Buds cant handle a #1's workload, his play will eventually deteriorate. He was also good as a backup for us when he had to play a few games in a row, same goes for Condon after the 1st month Price went down. These type of goalies can't play at a high level consistently throughout the entire year.

Hard to say. He has been steady in his 4 starts. He played 60 of 68 games for the ONT Reign last year, was the AHL goaltender of the year, had a 1.75 GAA and .932 save pct. Reign and Kings play the same system.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Hard to say. He has been steady in his 4 starts. He played 60 of 68 games for the ONT Reign last year, was the AHL goaltender of the year, had a 1.75 GAA and .932 save pct. Reign and Kings play the same system.

well i just looked up his numbers for this season, looks like you guys are winning in spite of him :D

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
well i just looked up his numbers for this season, looks like you guys are winning in spite of him :D

Well so far his GAA is 2.21, so that is fine. He save pct is .901, that needs to be higher. The main thing is he is not giving up bad goals, he has been steady. A few more great saves here and there and it would be better. But it's all about winning. So far he is getting it done, a lot better than Zatkoff, that is for sure.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

While I thank you for posting this because I think people are underselling Budaj's abilities, I do agree with the following:

Though he did play well last night, asking for THREE MONTHS of that is a lot for a guy, or is a big gamble. We STILL have needed OT/SO and 4 goals per game to win games, which isn't really sustainable for the Kings, imo. Kopitar is already playing Hedman minutes, we're gonna run him and Drew into the ground like last year if we keep having desperation games, and it's not like this stretch of games is going to be easier.

I know winning cures things, albeit temporarily, and I think Budaj deserves the NHL shot he's getting, but he could get crushed, too--it makes sense that the Kings are open to a more experienced NHL starter for that reason, though I still don't think the assets exist to give.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah

I think management knows, they are just buying time and trying to get the most outta him. Kings fans know Budaj is not going to last long as a #1.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
I think management knows, they are just buying time and trying to get the most outta him. Kings fans know Budaj ain't going to last long as a #1.

Which I think the Kings will give Campbell a game or two and see what he's got and maybe even see if they can catch lightning in a bottle with Lindback and then sign him to a league minimum.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad