Confirmed with Link: Kings acquire forward Viktor Arvidsson in exchange for two draft picks

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rusty Batch

Sep 22, 2010
I think this is an unfair take. People are not complaining for the sake of complaining. Most of us who don’t really understand the long-term vision behind this or say going after Saad, Schwartz etc have made those points before this happened. This would be like criticizing people such as yourself for complaining if they traded for Eichel or blew it up. No one is criticizing the trade or think it makes the Kings worse, or that the picks will amount to anything, we are asking how it brings the Kings closer to Stanley Cups. Dave Taylor made a ton of these types of trades and FA signings as Kings GM, it immediately made the team better on the ice, but I think it was proven that it didn't get the Kings closer to the ultimate goal

You have been pretty strongly against trading for Eichel, as much as people like me and @johnjm22 have been against bridge trades. I can disagree but I respect the logic behind that view. Give us the same courtesy, please. Say you think we are wrong, but don't act like we are just complaining for the sake of complaining, we aren't.

Furthermore, while prospect adoration is certainly a thing and I do agree that people want to rebuild for to long, it's not as if that is the case with many of us here. I think you would find many of the people who don't like this trade would welcome an Eichel trade tomorrow, which would both weaken the prospect pool and make the team better, kind of contradicting what you said.

If the Kings have 2018 type seasons the next 2-3 years do you find that to be a positive in the big picture of getting back to a SC level?

Do you think the Kings have enough at the top to contend in the future assuming the Top 5 pick part of the rebuild is over?
If the Kings make the playoffs in the rookie year of their best prospects that would be a tremendous sign for us... We would have more cap space, more prospects coming up, etc...

Reactions: bland and lumbergh

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
Those moves were made not knowing they would get Richards and Carter a few years later.

I think those Cups mess with our minds. We look back from them, and see this perfect, long term, essentially inevitable path DL put the franchise on.

DL made the moves he made to simply make the Kings better than they were the day before. I'll get Smyth as a stepping stone, and then when the time is right, move him. No, he got Smyth to have Smyth, because it made the team better in 09-10. He probably thought he'd finish his contract as a King.

Of course no one knew that the Kings would get Richards and Carter, specifically. If we want to get existential, no one can really know anything about anything ever. We don't know now who might become available in 2 seasons. We don't know now how all of the prospects will develop. We don't know anything.

But that doesn't diminish the general point the acquisitions then and now. DL was pretty transparent about his plan: (1) strip down, (2) accumulate assets while incorporating bridge players and allowing prospects to grow, (3) transition out of rebuild into becoming an increasingly competitive team, (4) contend. While it took Blake longer into his tenure as GM to realize what he needed to do, it should be patently obvious that he is following a similar course.

Right now we're straddling the line between 2 and 3. A successful phase 2 is what allowed DL to capitalize on circumstances that presented themselves when Richards and Carter became available, but it was while the team was well into phase 3. Smyth, Williams, and Scuderi were part of that transition from 2 to 3.

Broadly speaking, has anyone convincingly established that becoming a more competitive team by adding players and getting the playoff experience in 2009-2010 did not have a material impact on the growth of the young core? Why would it be any different now as the franchise is moving into another phase of its rebuild?

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
I appreciate and respect @johnjm22 's take to a degree but see above, this is basically like grading Blake's whole offseason on the first move. While the playoffs are still going, he's added a lottery ticket in Tkachyov and at worst a solid play-driving energetic talent in Arvidsson. If he's done for the next few months sure, it's fair to treat it as if we're just signing Kovalchuk and kicking back. But it's barely July.

I've already said if the Kings traded for Eichel tomorrow I would amend my opinion on this trade.

If adding a 2nd pairing defenseman or another 45 point forward is the next move, again how does that get them closer to the ultimate goal? That is exactly what Taylor did coming out of the lockout, he added some secondary pieces to a terrible roster and it produced the 2005-2006 season, which resulted in the Kings finishing 10th in the west and Taylor getting fired.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I think this is an unfair take. People are not complaining for the sake of complaining, most of us who don’t really understand the long-term vision behind this or say going after Saad, Schwartz etc have made those points before this happened. This would be like criticizing people for complaining if they traded for Eichel or blew it up. I personally have more respect and appreciation for people who stick to their guns than change their opinions once something happens.

If the Kings have 2018 type seasons the next 2-3 years do you find that to be a positive in the big picture of getting back to a SC level?

I never said people are complaining for the sake of complaining.

Several people, including myself, have lobbied for making trades to improve the team, but selling the existing prospects too early for Eichel who:
- has major health concerns
- doesn't address a position of weakness

Is a bad move.

Complaining that the Kings won't suck as badly next season to get a better first round pick is nonsensical. Hoarding top-5 picks does not work. And teams HAVE to move forward sometime to compete for the playoffs. You don't go from bottom feeder to cup contender. There's a period where you do straddle the line of black hole and playoff contention.

Will I LIKE being a black hole team in 2-3 years? **** no. But this trade won't be the cause of it. And you can bookmark this post and quote me that this is a good trade for what the team needs to do.

But how many teams depend on 4 top-10 picks to be winners? The Kings have Byfield and Turcotte already. Sitting at 8th this year. Now they need to be WORSE next year?

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Of course no one knew that the Kings would get Richards and Carter, specifically. If we want to get existential, no one can really know anything about anything ever. We don't know now who might become available in 2 seasons. We don't know now how all of the prospects will develop. We don't know anything.

But that doesn't diminish the general point the acquisitions then and now. DL was pretty transparent about his plan: (1) strip down, (2) accumulate assets while incorporating bridge players and allowing prospects to grow, (3) transition out of rebuild into becoming an increasingly competitive team, (4) contend. While it took Blake longer into his tenure as GM to realize what he needed to do, it should be patently obvious that he is following a similar course.

Right now we're straddling the line between 2 and 3. A successful phase 2 is what allowed DL to capitalize on circumstances that presented themselves when Richards and Carter became available, but it was while the team was well into phase 3. Smyth, Williams, and Scuderi were part of that transition from 2 to 3.

Has anyone convincingly established that becoming a more competitive team by adding players and getting the playoff experience in 2009-2010 did not have a material impact on the growth of the young core? Why would it be any different now as the franchise is moving into another phase of its rebuild?

These are all valid points, and good post, but the one thing you are missing is that DL had Kopitar and Doughty who were obvious transformative talents from the first time they came to prospect camp with the Kings. And then Quick, whether through his own talents or development also became that type of player.

Blake is moving onto DL's next stages without having those types of players. Byfield could be it, and he looked pretty good, but even as much as we all like him he isn't Kopitar or Doughty good at the same age.

DL's bridge players like Thornton, Handzus, Blake etc were all on the roster as the team sucked in 2007 and 2008 resulting in top 5 picks and the addition of Doughty, there is no cup without Doughty. Blake is adding bridge players to try and make the playoffs, DL wasn't.

Reactions: Chazz Reinhold

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
You do need to hit home runs.

And we just gave away two free swings: a 2nd and a 3rd.

All in exchange for getting closer to the black hole.

Bottom line is the higher you pick the better chance you have. Acquiring VA is actively reducing the Kings chances.

I respect your opinion but I simply disagree with the idea that you *must* be complete dogshit until you hit one or two homeruns in the Top 5-10 of the draft. The Kings only hit on one in Doughty. I'm not going to give you Kopitar since that was a black hole pick. Quick was in the 3rd round. All of the other 1st round players on the 2012 team were taken outside of the Top 10. I've done the exercise before back when Washington won and @Docgonzo just did it again: you definitely need a lot of 1st round draft picks on your roster but you don't necessarily need 8-9 Top 10 picks.

The Kings will be drafting 8OA this year or will trade it for someone who was most likely a high 1st round pick themselves. Since 2017, they have five first round picks in four drafts including two Top 5 picks and are on pace to make another Top 10 selection. They also moved a 2nd round pick for the 7OA from 2017 so add another 1st rounder. In a redraft, Kaliyev and Faber are 1st round picks as well.

I think this trade is really being undersold.

people on here got hot and bothered over Leipsic and his play. People love Lizotte because he tries hard.

we just got that type of player with the skills to score 25 goals a year. He also is a wicked penalty killer and just an overall spark plug.

we talk of missing character guys inside a room. These are the types of trades that start replenishing the character we lost. Even if it’s a lead by example type. This is what we want the kids to do.

can’t believe people are upset. We can draft prospects galore but we still need to insulate them and surround them with leaders

I was going to just bold the Leipsic/Lizotte part because it is spot on but the whole post is spot on so I'm leaving it in its entirety.

One thing the detractors are missing here is that it is extremely rare to draft ready made stars right out of the box. The players listed above came into organizations who had competent teams who offered a competitive enviornment.

The Kings of the last two years were not competent. That enviornment was no place to successfully bring in young players. The Kings needed to add competent players with competitive drive so that the kids had a positive level to strive to match, not a negative one to settle into.

That's why I love this deal. I hope there is another just like it. I am not sure why people don't see the arch of the plan, it seems obvious to me.

Same thing here as with the post above. I was hoping this season was going to be like the 2009 Kings season but it wound up not going that way but, to be fair, you look at the numbers that team put up and you can see that they are playing some defense first, Terry Murray hockey. With that type of structure and a little more compete, this roster probably could have done the same. Regardless, that season saw the late addition of Williams and then Smyth in the offseason. This move is kind of a mix of both as I feel Arvidsson is a buy-low like Williams and is also probably not a long term solution like Smyth wasn't. Arvidsson is going to be expected to increase scoring and help one of the young centers on this team, just like Williams/Smyth were. At the same time, it is also bringing an element of compete and professionalism that is needed to help the young players learn correctly.

I also love the deal since the Kings get better but it is still more of a long term play--development wise--than the actual points Arvidsson will put up as a King. They still have picks in the rounds they gave up for Arvidsson so it doesn't mean that they still don't get a swing. This is the kind of stuff you are supposed to do. Good on Blake.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I've already said if the Kings traded for Eichel tomorrow I would amend my opinion on this trade.

If adding a 2nd pairing defenseman or another 45 point forward is the next move, again how does that get them closer to the ultimate goal? That is exactly what Taylor did coming out of the lockout, he added some secondary pieces to a terrible roster and it produced the 2005-2006 season, which resulted in the Kings finishing 10th in the west and Taylor getting fired.

I don't think adding Arvidsson to Byfield is comparable to adding Mark Parrish to Eric Belanger. Different teams in different phases.

We complain all along that we need support for Kopitar, then complain when Blake goes out and gets that support--low risk, high reward--for cheap, as an intermediate step towards giving the kids an environment to thrive in.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
These are all valid points, and good post, but the one thing you are missing is that DL had Kopitar and Doughty who were obvious transformative talents from the first time they came to prospect camp with the Kings. And then Quick, whether through his own talents or development also became that type of player.

Blake is moving onto DL's next stages without having those types of players. Byfield could be it, and he looked pretty good, but even as much as we all like him he isn't Kopitar or Doughty good at the same age.

DL's bridge players like Thornton, Handzus, Blake etc were all on the roster as the team sucked in 2007 and 2008 resulting in top 5 picks and the addition of Doughty, there is no cup without Doughty. Blake is adding bridge players to try and make the playoffs, DL wasn't.

That Top 5 pick in 2007 was a complete airball. Even if Turcotte isn't Top 5 worthy, there is basically a zero percent chance he never plays a game for the Kings unless the Kings trade him for something good. Blake doesn't have a Doughty but he does have his own #2OA already in Byfield. Will Byfield have the same impact next season as Doughty did in his 1st? Probably not, but that Kings team didn't make the playoffs either and still picked high enough to draft Schenn. Handzus was given a four year, big money contract. Played 18 minutes a night in 2010 and '11 and 20 minutes a night in the playoffs for those years. Yes, the Kings didn't make the playoffs in his first two seasons but adding Arvidsson doesn't exactly mean that Blake is all-in on making the playoffs next season. Like Handzus though, he's interested in Arvidsson being a contributor to a playoff team at some point during the remaining years of his contract.

"Bridge players". Hutton. Maata (MacDermid had more goals and the same amount of points last season). AA. The flotsam that is the Bottom 6. The main thing, however, is that DL didn't have some huge cache of vets that would be hard to move so he added guys like Blake and Thornton. Kopitar/Doughty/Quick/Carter...these guys are part of the bridge except two of them might actually make it across the bridge to the other side.

Hell...he added Stoll and Greene to the 2009 team and they--with Doughty's help--drafted 5OA. You know that you don't just transform the team into a contender in one off-season. Arvidsson is a three year commitment and, like Handzus before him, it isn't all about the first year of the contract.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
What's with the constant reference to the "black hole"? That's a meh team that can't get out of mediocrity. A team that's trending up is not in a "black hole".

The Arvidsson trade keeps the Kings trending up. They've got to make strides towards making the playoffs. You can't jump from 8th worst team to contender overnight.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

Broadly speaking, has anyone convincingly established that becoming a more competitive team by adding players and getting the playoff experience in 2009-2010 did not have a material impact on the growth of the young core? Why would it be any different now as the franchise is moving into another phase of its rebuild?

I'm not complaining about them getting Arvidsson. I didn't complain when they signed Kovalchuk either. I didn't complain about getting Smyth. I difnt complain when they got Lucic. It's better when they try to compete. There's no sure thing in rebuilding. It needs to be done every now and then, and the 18-19 team was quite dead, but theyre unlikeky to win the Cup again soon, no matter what they do. Other than the Penguins, how many teams over the last 40 years have repeated their glory days? It's probably going to be a while.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup

I definitely concede that it’s not a perfect analogy because Blake doesn’t have the young-but-established core DL had when he made the moves in 2009. Blake’s Kings are different in that the established core is on the tail end of the prime instead of the beginning. It does remain to be seen whether this variation in the approach works out, but I do think there is a point in any rebuild where you need to start integrating pieces to become more competitive.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
That Top 5 pick in 2007 was a complete airball. Even if Turcotte isn't Top 5 worthy, there is basically a zero percent chance he never plays a game for the Kings unless the Kings trade him for something good. Blake doesn't have a Doughty but he does have his own #2OA already in Byfield. Will Byfield have the same impact next season as Doughty did in his 1st? Probably not, but that Kings team didn't make the playoffs either and still picked high enough to draft Schenn. Handzus was given a four year, big money contract. Played 18 minutes a night in 2010 and '11 and 20 minutes a night in the playoffs for those years. Yes, the Kings didn't make the playoffs in his first two seasons but adding Arvidsson doesn't exactly mean that Blake is all-in on making the playoffs next season. Like Handzus though, he's interested in Arvidsson being a contributor to a playoff team at some point during the remaining years of his contract.

"Bridge players". Hutton. Maata (MacDermid had more goals and the same amount of points last season). AA. The flotsam that is the Bottom 6. The main thing, however, is that DL didn't have some huge cache of vets that would be hard to move so he added guys like Blake and Thornton. Kopitar/Doughty/Quick/Carter...these guys are part of the bridge except two of them might actually make it across the bridge to the other side.

Hell...he added Stoll and Greene to the 2009 team and they--with Doughty's help--drafted 5OA. You know that you don't just transform the team into a contender in one off-season. Arvidsson is a three year commitment and, like Handzus before him, it isn't all about the first year of the contract.

Blake is in a different position than DL because of 11 and 8, that is a valid and realistic point, probably all the more reason that Doughty being traded should have been the first move Blake made when taking over. Very difficult to rebuild with two Mount Rushmore players still on the roster. But that is on Blake and Luc, they were the ones who woefully misread the roster, and now we trust them to properly rebuild?

Yes, Hickey was a whiff, and Schenn was a solid single as opposed to any type of homerun. But they had three consecutive top 5's and drafted a Hall of Famer and an asset that was correctly flipped while his value was still high. It's not a ton different from Chicago with Cam Barker, no one is saying you hit them all.

Even though DL didn't draft Kopitar he rebuilt knowing what he had, and even then he still added a bunch of high picks afterward, one of which eventually lead to Doughty. For the current Kings are things different right now if the Kings had drafted Suzuki instead of Vilardi, had they drafted Seider, Zegras or Caufield over Turcotte, had they drafted Miller over Kupari? Yeah they are, you very likely can then say you have enough bigtime talent to effectively start the process DL started in 2008, do you with Vilardi, Turcotte and Kupari? I would say no, but I'm guessing people disagree. That is why I am a bit skeptical about this scouting staff in some ways, they do great at getting guys like Faber, Thomas, Kaliyev, Anderson, JAD in the later rounds, but their ability to evaluate 1st round talent outside of the top 3 of the draft leaves a lot to be desired. I'm not saying they should have made all those picks, but having one of those guys in the pool sure would be nice.

As far as the other teams picks. Pittsburgh had top 5 picks in 4 straight drafts, all were successes with two being grand slams, Washington drafted Ovechkin and Backstrom with top 5, Kane and Toews top 5, Stamkos and Hedman top 5. Kopitar was a black hole pick, but that was very unusual circumstances where a player who should have gone top 5 fell because of where he was born. Either way the Kings ended up coming out of the DL rebuild with 2 plug and play stars from age 18 and 19 and then found a third one in Quick . Do we think the Kings have players like that in the current pool? We both like Kaliyev, and he fell for stupid reasons too, but does he become that kind of player? If you think Kaliyev can be Kucherov, then maybe you think the Kings are set, again I like him but thats an unlikely scenario.

I don't want an 8 year rebuild like John does, I think that is way over the top. My #1 preference would be to trade for Eichel because I think even after the deal the Kings have ample young players from which to build around QB and Eichel. But even if the Kings did trade Doughty and blow it up, it's not an 8 year window, draft near the top of 2022 and 2023 and add that to Byfield and the current group and your window opens up in 2024-2025 and extends for a decade.

As far as trades, I don't oppose them, never have, they are an important part of a build of a team, that is why I laugh at people who don't want to trade for any of this eras Richards or Carters. But trades are normally used to build your foundation, not to add to it. I worry if there is going to be a championship foundation to attempt to add to in 2-5 years.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
If the Kings waited to fill out the roster with secondary guys until after they drafted another Kopitar and Doughty, they would be waiting an awfully long time.

I'm not sure how I completely feel about this move, but the assets don't really bother me. The difference between this trade and the Andersson trade is a third rounder, and VA is worth a heck of a lot more than that over Lias. My only qualm is that he's 28, which put him in his early 30's once the Kings theoretically open their window. Of course, I had those same thoughts when the Kings signed Williams and we saw how that turned out.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Not expecting Arvidsson to get back to his 30 goal pace or be a long term solution, but if he get back to minimum 20 goals, 20 assists this is a win over the remainder of his deal.

He might not see those numbers again, time will tell. His production fell off after he was injured by a violent crosscheck Nov 2019 vs St Louis. Bortuzzo crosschecked him 2x and then the goalie hit him. Bortuzzo got 4 games. Something Poile mentioned when asked about the trade, citing his effectiveness dropped off after that.

the hit is in this video

Preds’ Viktor Arvidsson out 4-6 weeks with lower body injury | ProHockeyTalk | NBC Sports

But, on a new team, perhaps he can stay healthy and be a productive middle 6 winter. It's a pretty good contract for what they feel they need from him, to provide depth scoring.

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Even though DL didn't draft Kopitar he rebuilt knowing what he had, and even then he still added a bunch of high picks afterward, one of which eventually lead to Doughty. For the current Kings are things different right now if the Kings had drafted Suzuki instead of Vilardi, had they drafted Seider, Zegras or Caufield over Turcotte, had they drafted Miller over Kupari? Yeah they are, you very likely can then say you have enough bigtime talent to effectively start the process DL started in 2008, do you with Vilardi, Turcotte and Kupari? I would say no, but I'm guessing people disagree. That is why I am a bit skeptical about this scouting staff in some ways, they do great at getting guys like Faber, Thomas, Kaliyev, Anderson, JAD in the later rounds, but their ability to evaluate 1st round talent outside of the top 3 of the draft leaves a lot to be desired. I'm not saying they should have made all those picks, but having one of those guys in the pool sure would be nice.

You can do this exercise with literally every team, I'll even use the ones you mentioned.

What if MTL had Brady Tkachuk instead of Kotkaniemi?
Seider hasn't done anything in the NHL yet, what if DET had Zegras? What if they drafted Quinn Hughes instead of Zadina? What if they drafted Vilardi or Suzuki instead of Rasmussen?
What if the Rangers drafted Vilardi or Suzuki instead of Lias Andersson? What if they drafted Dach, Zegras instead of Kakko?

Do you see how foolish this thought process is, especially before they hit NHL ice?

Reactions: lumbergh

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
What's with the constant reference to the "black hole"? That's a meh team that can't get out of mediocrity. A team that's trending up is not in a "black hole".

The Arvidsson trade keeps the Kings trending up. They've got to make strides towards making the playoffs. You can't jump from 8th worst team to contender overnight.

That's a problem with the all or nothing thinking we have going on.

The funny part is, if the Kings don't win within the next 3 years or so, they probably won't for a while, because all those ELCs will come due by then. Probably resulting in a cap purge of some kind.

Jericho111091

Dec 18, 2014
Paramount Ca
Not a bad move for either team imo. Kings get a guy with good upside if he can find his footing again while the preds get some fairly good picks

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
For the record I don't HATE the move. We didn't give up much, we've still got picks in each round of the draft. We could also potentially flip him if he turns things around.

I understand morale around the team is extremely low, and that's not a great environment to develop your young players in.

BUT, we need need young top tier talent to build the foundation of a contender. I know many disagree, but in my view the Kings are/were on track for a very high pick in 2022. And that pick could be a foundational player. Improving this current roster so we finish in the middle of the pack in the NHL seems like a waist of time, and it most likely ensures mediocrity.

Reactions: Herby

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Wow, we got some Debbie Downers on this board. Time to let go of the past, new regime, hope they learned from past mistakes\success...lets move forward.

I am no fan of Blake but I did give him props for aquiring talent from NCAA. Was hoping he can find some at the NHL level now. I like this last trade, it aquires a player that keeps his foot on the gas to push uphill. We got Byfeild, Kupari on a full season and Vilardi, JAD that will all feed off of that. I think we'll see a rejuvenated up tempo team next year.

I don't believe Advinsson is the only move. We still have cap space\assets. I hope we do get another top 6 C\LW and D man with size\skill from cap strapped teams. Also we'll move some fillers to make roster spots for Kaliyev and Turcotte.

Sometimes having some faith in homegrown talent is what works in the end.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
For the record I don't HATE the move. We didn't give up much, we've still got picks in each round of the draft. We could also potentially flip him if he turns things around.

I understand morale around the team is extremely low, and that's not a great environment to develop your young players in.

BUT, we need need young top tier talent to build the foundation of a contender. I know many disagree, but in my view the Kings are/were on track for a very high pick in 2022. And that pick could be a foundational player. Improving this current roster so we finish in the middle of the pack in the NHL seems like a waist of time, and it most likely ensures mediocrity.

Or they could draft a foundational player who isn't a #1 overall pick? Seems like Boston did well with their entire top line not being a top 20 selection, or the Lightning with Kucherov. Is drafting in the top 3-5 every year the only way to build a winning team? If so, explain the Oilers and Sabres to me.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Or they could draft a foundational player who isn't a #1 overall pick? Seems like Boston did well with their entire top line not being a top 20 selection, or the Lightning with Kucherov. Is drafting in the top 3-5 every year the only way to build a winning team? If so, explain the Oilers and Sabres to me.
This has been said many times.

Yes you can draft foundational players lower in the draft. Your chances are just lower the further down in the draft you go.

Improving the current team and trading away picks is an active decision to reduce the Kings chances of acquiring a foundational player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad