KHL implementing new OT rule regarding skating puck back into own zone, Should NHL Follow Suit?

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
This is something I've been asking for for years at this point. I hope the NHL does it.

Should just get rid of OT. Game ends in a tie. Both teams earned the result. One point each onto the next game.

3 on 3 OT sucks. The shootout sucks.
God no. If anything make 3 on 3 until someone scores, but don't let them leave the zone on their own to regroup.

Reactions: thewookie1

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014
If you have to make a rule like this..... just bring back the shootout / tie / 4 on 4 then SO / whatever for regular season OT.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I would rather go to a game where my team gets blown out 10-0 than it end in a tie.
Your team is down 3-2. With 3 minutes left in the 3rd period they pull the goalie and are storming the o-zone. You walk out because you'd rather see your team lose than tie it up and get a point.

Yeah... I call BS.

Reactions: Gains

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
So you think a tie is worth the same as losing 0-15?
You lost in both scenarios, so makes sense. Would be entertaining to see teams tied push for a win rather than turtle for a tie point

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Shootout sucks man. 5 mins of 5 on 5 OT will almost never end in a goal.
I don't disagree.

But I hate 3v3 OT, and I hate the thought of changing the rules completely for 3v3 OT.

The entire reason we went ot 3v3 to begin with in 2005, were all those DPE era, games where both teams stopped playing to get a tie.

The NHL clearly doesn't want to get rid of the 2 point system.

But something like a 5 point system would make more sense. Because then we're ranking the importance of the wins.

5 points = Regulation win
4 points OT Win (1point to loser)
3 points = shootout win (2 points to loser).

I know it's dumb, but Regulation wins SHOULD be worth more than OT wins. and OT wins should be worth more than SO wins. And a SO win should be barely worth more than a SO loss.

Teams can play chintzy defensive hockey all they want in OT, but they'll be penalized for it.

Reactions: The Hockey Tonk Man

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I don't disagree.

But I hate 3v3 OT, and I hate the thought of changing the rules completely for 3v3 OT.

The entire reason we went ot 3v3 to begin with in 2005, were all those DPE era, games where both teams stopped playing to get a tie.

The NHL clearly doesn't want to get rid of the 2 point system.

But something like a 5 point system would make more sense. Because then we're ranking the importance of the wins.

5 points = Regulation win
4 points OT Win (1point to loser)
3 points = shootout win (2 points to loser).

I know it's dumb, but Regulation wins SHOULD be worth more than OT wins. and OT wins should be worth more than SO wins. And a SO win should be barely worth more than a SO loss.

Teams can play chintzy defensive hockey all they want in OT, but they'll be penalized for it.
I don’t mind 3 on 3. In the regular season you have to get it over with and it’s the best option they have to do that. I agree about the points system but that’s been a convo for over a decade now and it hasn’t happened so it is what it is. Will definitely never happen under Bettman.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Should just get rid of OT. Game ends in a tie. Both teams earned the result. One point each onto the next game.

3 on 3 OT sucks. The shootout sucks.

It’s fine if the tie was kind of rare, but it is not. The team I cheer for (Toronto) had 10 OTL and 33 regulation wins, 46 total wins. 13 games they won outside of regulation plus the 10 OTL. That is potentially 23 ties. I don’t want that. That’s too many. Sorry.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I imagine the NHL will have interest in how this works. If it seems to be useful, they might try and get the AHL, or CHL to try this and then go for there.

The NHL wants to put their speed and skill at the forefront, so this would help that.

The OT now kind of sucks at times.

My Habs, for example are OK at getting position, but not skilled enough, or fast enough to take real advantage of it, so I've seen them turn ot in quick nap time with the amount of times they ragged that shit back to their own zone to try again.

It basically looked like a practice for attacking and the offensive team sucking ass and just skating back to try again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad