Kevyn Adams GM thread

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Just shuffling deck chairs. If things get bad enough to fire Adams, you get someone to come in and clean sweep the top levels. Everyone that has been hired by Adams isn't going to do anything drastically different. The last thing we want is another Pegula rushed hire.

Maybe Terry and Kim will hire a 3rd party to help with the search this offseason.
The search should be happening now so that they can have the new guy in place as early as possible after the season ends.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
I put myself on waivers today, hoping some other team will pick me up as a fan.

The search should be happening now so that they can have the new guy in place as early as possible after the season ends.

Any new hire will be a Pegula yes man. Makes zero difference. Even Ruff had to put up with nonsense of not hiring even one of his own coaches.

May Day 10

Apr 19, 2006
St Catharines, ON
I put myself on waivers today, hoping some other team will pick me up as a fan.

Any new hire will be a Pegula yes man. Makes zero difference. Even Ruff had to put up with nonsense of not hiring even one of his own coaches.

This is the catch-22 with this franchise.

It will take terry Pegula to completely do a 180 in his organizational philosophy, including how he values himself as an evaluator of management (*hint, it has been ghastly with both hockey, and business with the exception of McDermott).

He will have to admit he has been wrong these last 13+ years and admit fault in himself and his wife. I don't see him doing that. I would bet on him tripling down on himself "doing things the right way".

There is no hope, and I lost hope the day they announced Kevyn Adams was the GM. That was the day the franchise died.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

sabremike

#1 Tageaholic
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
This is the catch-22 with this franchise.

It will take terry Pegula to completely do a 180 in his organizational philosophy, including how he values himself as an evaluator of management (*hint, it has been ghastly with both hockey, and business with the exception of McDermott).

He will have to admit he has been wrong these last 13+ years and admit fault in himself and his wife. I don't see him doing that. I would bet on him tripling down on himself "doing things the right way".

There is no hope, and I lost hope the day they announced Kevyn Adams was the GM. That was the day the franchise died.
The guy had back to back hires for the head of PSE have to resign over sexual misconduct. Pegula has a amazing knack for hiring the wrong people.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Wait! What??

KA clearly replaced Skinner with Zucker. Goal scoring for a vet "two-way" guy. That's what you call guys on the downside of their career when they can't score so much anymore..."two-way". Now obviously any player is two-way compared to Skinner, but Zucker is not replacing his production, so it's a push at best. And there's no good way to improve on that scenario with the buy-out penalty the next couple years.

If that doesn't get you excited though, let's talk about Mitts' replacement! When you fail to realize the value of C depth and over rate "your guys" that you just handed big contracts to, and trade the best two-way C on the roster that has better hands/vision/playmaking ability than any other FW, you go right out and replace that guy the only way possible...you get a guy with SPEED BURSTS. When defensive hustle, board work, TOs, and creating offense for your teammates isn't enough, you have to go big with SPEED BURSTS! That category is right next to W/L/PTS in the standings...for some people.

So yeah they were "replaced", but cutting out the sarcasm, it was easily a net loss because while the 4th line is faster and better at neutralizing their match-up, the scoring lines are weaker, dumber, and less effective. So what did KA gain for the team this summer...a marginally better defensive team that can't generate offense the right way. He's embraced mediocrity by not being able to accurately assess his roster.
I’m one of the bigger Mitts fans on this forum and I didn’t like the trade either, still don’t. I knew it was unlikely they would extend Mitts because teams rarely carry three top 6 centers generally and even less frequently have 3 making top 6 center money. But I felt his ability to play wing would be enough to justify keeping him. Obviously the team didn’t get my memo.

That said, teams don’t need three top 6 centers to have proper center depth. It’s a false premise that you seem to be using to overplay the loss of Mitts. If a team is fortunate enough to have three centers who are top 6 capable. It usually means at least one of them is on an ELC or reasonable bridge (like Mitts was before the trade)

———————————————

Who you’re saying is replacing who in the lineup is wrong.

The top 6 to start last season
Skinner/Tage/Tuch
Peterka/Cozens/VO (Quinn) The split was roughly 2/3rd (VO) to 1/3 Quinn

Benson is taking the one open spot in the top 6 created by Skinner’s departure, not Zucker. Peterka took Skinner’s specific spot on the top line, not Zucker. Quinn is filling the spot he would have had last season if he was healthy.

Kulich came into the top 6 with Peterka out, not Zucker. He (Kulich) is effectively our top 6 winger depth at the moment. Zucker didn’t get a top 6 spot even with Peterka out. Its seems pretty clear they don’t view him as a Skinner replacement or even a top 6 winger. At least not at the moment.

The bottom 6 to start last season
Benson/Mitts/Greenway
Girgs/Krebs/Okposo

Zucker/McLeod replaced Benson/Mitts. NAK/Lafferty/Malenstyn replaced the entire 4th line. Making Krebs the depth replacement for Jost.

What we need from McLeod is whatever Mitts might have done as the 3C. I have no idea what that is since injuries prevented us from ever seeing Tage/Cozens/Mitts all healthy and playing well at the same time. But it certainly isn’t as much as Mitts had to do last season. When he effectively took over as the top center. It’s not really fair or realistic to use that as the benchmark.

Last edited:

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
t some point we will have a desperate GM on our hands looking to make moves to save his job….so it can get worse.

He was desperate this summer and the best he could do was flip a 2nd round pick for a 4th liner and a former top 10 pick for a 3rd liner.

I think the 'desperate GM' thing won't be an issue unless we are just out of it 20 games in or something. Mediocre teams will stay in shouting distance long enough to prevent a total meltdown. I expect us to be around the .500 mark most of the season.

Reactions: Tijuana Donkey Show

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I’m one of the bigger Mitts fans on this forum and I didn’t like the trade either, still don’t. I knew it was unlikely they would extend Mitts because teams rarely carry three top 6 centers generally and even less frequently have 3 making top 6 center money. But I felt his ability to play wing would be enough to justify keeping him. Obviously the team didn’t get my memo.

That said, teams don’t need three top 6 centers to have proper center depth. It’s a false premise that you seem to be using to overplay the loss of Mitts. If a team is fortunate enough to have three centers who are top 6 capable. It usually means at least one of them is on an ELC or reasonable bridge (like Mitts was before the trade)

———————————————

Who you’re saying is replacing who in the lineup is wrong.

The top 6 to start last season
Skinner/Tage/Tuch
Peterka/Cozens/VO (Quinn) The split was roughly 2/3rd (VO) to 1/3 Quinn

Benson is taking the one open spot in the top 6 created by Skinner’s departure, not Zucker. Peterka took Skinner’s specific spot on the top line, not Zucker. Quinn is filling the spot he would have had last season if he was healthy.

Kulich came into the top 6 with Peterka out, not Zucker. He (Kulich) is effectively our top 6 winger depth at the moment. Zucker didn’t get a top 6 spot even with Peterka out. Its seems pretty clear they don’t view him as a Skinner replacement or even a top 6 winger. At least not at the moment.

The bottom 6 to start last season
Benson/Mitts/Greenway
Girgs/Krebs/Okposo

Zucker/McLeod replaced Benson/Mitts. NAK/Lafferty/Malenstyn replaced the entire 4th line. Making Krebs the depth replacement for Jost.

What we need from McLeod is whatever Mitts might have done as the 3C. I have no idea what that is since injuries prevented us from ever seeing Tage/Cozens/Mitts all healthy and playing well at the same time. But it certainly isn’t as much as Mitts had to do last season. When he effectively took over as the top center. It’s not really fair or realistic to use that as the benchmark.
"Teams don't keep 3 top-6 Cs beyond ELC players". Not even the teams carrying 6-10 mil in empty cap space each year... Either way, leaving the roster to rely on two quite flawed Cs to carry the top-6 load was foolish.

Also clearly, I was referring to net gain/loss on the roster as a whole. Obviously there is a shell game effect as for who is taking who's role.

Reactions: Tijuana Donkey Show

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I’d rather Adams screw things up so badly because he finally did his job than continue this slow death by a thousand cuts doled out one per year. The standard of this organization is do little, spend less.

Two things can be true:

1. Pegula is the main problem. He’s destroyed this franchise in ways that are nearly impossible to ever recover from as long as he is here

2. Adams has completely failed to find any way to succeed at the bare minimum excepted level for five years and someone else needs to be in charge

Whoever is in charge will always have both hands tied behind their back with Pegula ownership. But no one…no one…could do less to try and make a bad situation work than Adams has.

He operates like this loser team doesn’t need massive change…like they’re contenders who need to keep consistency and add fringe pieces. Five f***ing years and he hasn’t figured out the defense WHILE BEING HANDED TWO FIRST OVERALL PICK D. Yes he’s blown everything else too. But he can’t even figure out that Joker isn’t a top 4 D and he’s been looking at him the whole goddamned time.

Could someone do worse? Sure. Could they do less? No.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fjordy

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
At this point I will take scary over the alternative of no meaningful change whatsoever.
You would accept a trade of say Quinn + a 1st for a 1 or 2 year over the hill rental?

Adams doesn't understand talent or value, and the idea of him backed into a corner and having to make a trade to save his job scares the shit out of me.

He will do something exceptionally stupid.

Reactions: 5 Minute Major

sabremike

#1 Tageaholic
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
You would accept a trade of say Quinn + a 1st for a 1 or 2 year over the hill rental?

Adams doesn't understand talent or value, and the idea of him backed into a corner and having to make a trade to save his job scares the shit out of me.

You are forgetting the funniest thing: He can't even do that because of no move clauses.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015

I just don’t know how to be scared of Adams destroying something that isn’t worth anything. If he gives away the store and they crater…I get a new GM. If he does nothing…I get nothing. Either way I’m watching the team lose. The degree to which they do so isn’t a deal breaker for me. 10th place and 16th place mean the same thing at the end of the day. Except one gets a better pick.

Don’t threaten me with trading away a core that isn’t good enough to get to the frigging middle.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
I just don’t know how to be scared of Adams destroying something that isn’t worth anything. If he gives away the store and they crater…I get a new GM. If he does nothing…I get nothing. Either way I’m watching the team lose. The degree to which they do so isn’t a deal breaker for me. 10th place and 16th place mean the same thing at the end of the day. Except one gets a better pick.

Don’t threaten me with trading away a core that isn’t good enough to get to the frigging middle.
Echoed my thoughts. The team is already broken. Would I like adams to make great moves? Sure. Is it likely he makes bad moves? Sure. But if he does nothing then we just keep spinning our wheels and we KNOW the outcome is bad. Half of my issue with Adams is I feel like he is too scared to try a big move.

The consequences of inaction can often be worse than the consequences of a bad decision.

Reactions: Ace

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad