Kevyn Adams GM thread

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Most of those options won't get traded. Colton is a maybe because of Colorado's cap situation, but he's a better wing. Kotkaniemi is possible.
Why not? Colton played mostly center, although he might have been better on the wing.

Eller seems available given Pens just get Hayes and signed Lizotte.

I think Suter could be available too with a re-signing of Blueger.

I saw Preds fans suggesting Novak on the main boards.

Edmonton over the cap, maybe we could get McLeod.

Chicago might be open to trading Dickinson given they're rebuilding. Not sure about Granlund, but San Jose is in the same position.

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario
I’d argue he doesn’t just have assets to trade…he has assets he needs to trade.

You’re really going to run an Amerks team with

Rosen
Kulich
Savoie
Ostlund
Wahlberg
Neuchev
Kisakov
Kozak
Nadeau
Johnson
Novikov
Komarov
Metsa
And maybe even Helenius!

What…what are we doing here? How is this good for any of them? You can’t ice 2/3rds of your goddamned AHL team with prospects. Wahlberg just gonna be a 4th line minutes guy this year? That’s the development path?

His inaction isn’t just hurting the team anymore. It’s also hurting the future.

And what happens next year? We miss for the 14th time…still need those moves from three f***ing years ago he hasn’t made…but we’ll instead get younger again because six more prospects are ready for the NHL and we have two spots for them! Meanwhile value keeps slipping and your nhl team is an even bigger joke

Someone over there has got to get a handle on how bad this is getting. How bad he is making this.
I agree with what you are saying, I disagree in that he's not willing to do it. IMO he's tried but teams aren't willing to give Buffalo those players up or those guys don't want to come here.

A good example is the rumored Ehlers one. Giving a ton of assets for a one year rental as the guy has no interest in signing here.

Maybe it's just me but I don't think it's worth it to trade a bunch of prospects for a one year rental just to get into that playoffs

I honestly think he ditched Mitts because he had Krebs penciled in for 3rd line center in 24-25. I think he made a very poor decision but we won't have a definitive answer on that until April.
That and IMO he's trying to avoid the Leafs situation where too many forwards make up the majority of your cap space each year.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
A good example is the rumored Ehlers one. Giving a ton of assets for a one year rental as the guy has no interest in signing here.
It seems that Ehlers has spoken highly of Buffalo on several occasions. Maybe it was just a question of cost trade for Ehlers.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
"Greenway isn't exactly a point producer, Krebs is still developing, and Benson is super young. So that third line could be invisible if Zucker can't elevate them."

It's not a Krebs thing.
That is partially true, but we have depth and decent players that can play on the wing. Wingers don't usually elevate centers. It is 100% a Krebs thing because he is the weakest link in the most important spot. Skinner was the test for Krebs. He can produce with good centers and scored 0 in 12. Benson disappeared and so did Greenway.

Maybe you need to look at it as replacing Mitts, which Krebs CANT do and has shown no confidence of growing into it. There are people who insisted he was our 1C, laughable, but still. His production is still missing. Lets say Krebs manages 30 points this year which is a leap for him. Pick up a 3C that can get 45-55 points that's probably good for a couple extra wins on a team that needs every win they can get.

At this point it doesn't matter if Krebs can grow into it, the time is up. his chance was last season and he failed the tryout. If they miss by two games or less this season, Adams is fired and he is saying I wish I spent Rosen and a pick for a better Center. Imagine being in a business and letting your fate be decided by one of your youngest employees who is underperforming.

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario
That is partially true, but we have depth and decent players that can play on the wing. Wingers don't usually elevate centers. It is 100% a Krebs thing because he is the weakest link in the most important spot. Skinner was the test for Krebs. He can produce with good centers and scored 0 in 12. Benson disappeared and so did Greenway.

Maybe you need to look at it as replacing Mitts, which Krebs CANT do and has shown no confidence of growing into it. There are people who insisted he was our 1C, laughable, but still. His production is still missing. Lets say Krebs manages 30 points this year which is a leap for him. Pick up a 3C that can get 45-55 points that's probably good for a couple extra wins on a team that needs every win they can get.

At this point it doesn't matter if Krebs can grow into it, the time is up. his chance was last season and he failed the tryout. If they miss by two games or less this season, Adams is fired and he is saying I wish I spent Rosen and a pick for a better Center. Imagine being in a business and letting your fate be decided by one of your youngest employees who is underperforming.
I know many are upset and frustrated they didn't get that 3C. I don't think it's for lack of trying. He tried trading this years first and had no bites. Other than moving up or down in the draft none of the firsts were traded for players.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
I know many are upset and frustrated they didn't get that 3C. I don't think it's for lack of trying. He tried trading this years first and had no bites. Other than moving up or down in the draft none of the firsts were traded for players.
He had bites, he refused to budge on value, and when he is on the couch he will remember that.

Reactions: Fjordy

sabremike

#1 Tageaholic
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
He traded a 3C that every team in the league would be thrilled to have. He terrible decision making created the problem that ended up being impossible to fix, and if this season goes to shit he will be sacked and no person will have ever been more deserving of it.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

There's a lot more to it than just the analysis you're referencing. What was Krebs asked to do and with who? He's been developing as a defense-first center and got Skinner as a wing. I don't see Skinner's point total as being relevant.

I don't think the Sabres will sink or swim becasue of Peyton Krebs. It'll be a lot more either way. It's possible for Krebs to fail and the team to succeed.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I actually find the Adams experiment very interesting as every year there’s a few new posters that get fed up for the same reasons as the few from the year before

Granted, the spectrum is vast so this could go on for a while, but everyone’s spirit will be broken in time
I’ve turned into the people I was rolling my eyes at last offseason lol

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I don’t think he tried to get a 3C. Why? Because he always specifically said he was looking for a 4C and that Krebs was 3C. People just thought he was just lying.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
They will sink or swim based on Tage and Dylan not being ass.
They lost a lot of games last season down the stretch when Dylan was playing really well, and Tage was playing fine (not amazing), and UPL was playing lights-out too.

I personally think they sink or swim based on that 3rd misfit line that Granato had to work with. The line Marchand talked about being easy to play against.

One weak line will sink the team in the 2020s.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
They lost a lot of games last season down the stretch when Dylan was playing really well, and Tage was playing fine (not amazing), and UPL was playing lights-out too.

I personally think they sink or swim based on that 3rd misfit line that Granato had to work with. The line Marchand talked about being easy to play against.

It will come down to consistency. They need to start strong and maintain it until the end of the season.

Their best players need to be ready (Tage, Dahlin, Cozens, UPL).

Dahlin is getting paid $13M. He needs to be better than good.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
It will come down to consistency. They need to start strong and maintain it until the end of the season.

We have no idea what players will look like in Lindy's system or how quickly they will adapt to it. It took him a few years with the Devils to get it working.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I don’t think he tried to get a 3C. Why? Because he always specifically said he was looking for a 4C and that Krebs was 3C. People just thought he was just lying.
I do think he looked at bottom 6 centers.

Hr didnt want to do long term with them given their prospect pipeline

He has a few prospect C from rochester he can recall. Ostlund nerds to adjust to NA hockey and you have Kulich and Savoie

He can do a midseason/ deadline deal for a 1 yr rental without needed retention.

Reactions: stealth1

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I’ve turned into the people I was rolling my eyes at last offseason lol
The humor in this is that Adam's did a lot of the things people wanted him to do last offseason. Rebuild the bottom six, get a veteran G.

Where he's failing is addressing the issue down the middle - or where we all think he's failing. At least part of that is for the same reasons he parted ways with Middlestadt - doesn't want to block cheap players on entry level or second contracts. So if we want to describe not addressing the top 6 or at least a 3rd line center as a deficiency or fault in his abilities to execute as a GM - I think at least PART of the story is he is hedging on this group as soon as this season, but certainly in 25/26:

Kulich
Savoie
Ostland
Rosen

Kozak
Kisakov
Neuchev
Helenius
Wahlberg

So even outside all the externalities that limit his ability to attract UFAs or pull off trades (NMC/NTC, payroll restriction, unable to find trading partners, etc.), I still think he is disproportionately influenced by his own optimistic thinking that a roster player will come from the farm.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

They were in the standings hole they were in because both of their top centers were shittier than their “3C” who they dealt away.

As for being soft to play against, Skinner and Olofsson were the poster children of Granatos candy-ass play style approach.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Yeah. When he talked about this right after the Byram trade he said he wanted "top-six wing and 4th line C". I posted how it should be the other way around (still had Skinner). So it's no surprise that he has settled on Krebs at 3C...wrong, but no surprise.

sabremike

#1 Tageaholic
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY

Calling it right now: If this season is a dud Dahlin is going to end up the public scapegoat/whipping boy (Harrington has already been fanning the flames on Xitter) and be run out of town to another franchise where he goes on to off the charts success.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Calling it right now: If this season is a dud Dahlin is going to end up the public scapegoat/whipping boy (Harrington has already been fanning the flames on Xitter) and be run out of town to another franchise where he goes on to off the charts success.

If he falls on his face again, Tage as the one-way, no-D 1C is a way, way bigger target for that.

sabremike

#1 Tageaholic
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
If he falls on his face again, Tage as the one-way, no-D 1C is a way, way bigger target for that.
FB_IMG_1720148310517.jpg

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
That and IMO he's trying to avoid the Leafs situation where too many forwards make up the majority of your cap space each year.

How is that possible when you are spending 25M on 3 d-men every year for the next 6 years. They've limited their spending at forward already.

Chicago might be open to trading Dickinson given they're rebuilding. Not sure about Granlund, but San Jose is in the same position.

Rebuilding? Chicago's trying harder to get in the playoffs than we are.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad