Kevyn Adams GM thread

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
He’s not bad, he’s average, operating under a control freak of an owner. It’s just the reality of things. We know who the real problem is, but we’re powerless to change it.

He’s got one more season to prove it. If they miss, he’s gone. And who knows what his replacement will look like. Not optimistic the successor will be any better.
I personally don’t think he’d be fired for poor performance. He’s Pegula’s guy and wasn’t brought in solely because he’s a great GM in the first place. Pegula seems okay to let him learn on the job for as long as it takes.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Draft a goalie every year, it's a rule. You never know when one shows up for you. It also doesn't require a high pick. In 6 years, a 5th rounder from this draft could be a star.
Adams has largely done this.
IDK, the team sure seemed intent on making Levi the starter last season. Gave him every chance until he proved he wasn't ready. UPL didn't get a start until after two weeks into the season. Even then he didn't get regular starts until a month later. Seemed like a lucky accident that UPL was better than they thought.

Also, the problem with people wanting a good starter to bridge the gap until a prospect proved themselves, never would have reared it's ugly head if KA didn't let Ullmark walk over a 1 mil difference in AAV, during years when the cap hit wouldn't have mattered.
Adams also talked about being close to UPL.

Goalies have a huge mental portion of their game. I don't think Adams really wanted to trade UPL. I don't think it was an accident.
Is it that hard to hedge your bets? It will provide better depth and options for the lineup, and it will also show Adams that he really cares about improving the lineup. I'm sure it's not that hard.
Isn't that what Adams just did by signing Reimer? Keeps Levi in Rochester unless he's starting.
He wasted an e tire season though. Being patient was the wrong decision because his team couldn’t string three wins together until like March.

A GM has to do more than draft well and patiently wait for them to develop. That’s a very bad GM.
Somewhat agree. But a GM also can't act like he's making crowd sourced decisions. Patience worked with Dahlin, Thompson, Mittelstadt, UPL, etc.

Right now, a lot of folks on this board want Krebs shot into the sun. Sounds a bit like what was being said about UPL and Mittelstadt. Time will tell and everyone won't develop with patience. But acting just to act is stupid.

Some of you wrote that "no action is worse than any action," or something to that idea. Here's the military's version: bad training is worse that no training. We also preach something called "tactical patience." I don't ascribe to the idea that doing something is better than doing nothing. If what you do worsens your position, then it was absolutely worse than doing nothing.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Some of you wrote that "no action is worse than any action," or something to that idea. Here's the military's version: bad training is worse that no training. We also preach something called "tactical patience." I don't ascribe to the idea that doing something is better than doing nothing. If what you do worsens your position, then it was absolutely worse than doing nothing.
I want Krebs shot into the sun because he was never our draft pick, has not shown much, and just does not seem skilled enough to handle bigger roles.

Now I am not saying get rid of him for a 4th, but package him for a real center we can count on. Adams needs to, that 3C will be his success or him getting fired this year.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Isn't that what Adams just did by signing Reimer? Keeps Levi in Rochester unless he's starting.
Somewhat agree. But a GM also can't act like he's making crowd sourced decisions. Patience worked with Dahlin, Thompson, Mittelstadt, UPL, etc.

Right now, a lot of folks on this board want Krebs shot into the sun. Sounds a bit like what was being said about UPL and Mittelstadt. Time will tell and everyone won't develop with patience. But acting just to act is stupid.

I didn't mean goalies but 3C. You yourself ask for Zegras, Tkachuk, and now you tell me that it is not necessary. It is strange to hear this from you.

Okay, look. Let's say as an example, trade for Hartman, give a chance to Krebs as a 3C. If he does not cope, you put Hartman there, who is both C and winger. This is what I mean by insurance.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
I didn't mean goalies but 3C. You yourself ask for Zegras, Tkachuk, and now you tell me that it is not necessary. It is strange to hear this from you.

Okay, look. Let's say as an example, trade for Hartman, give a chance to Krebs as a 3C. If he does not cope, you put Hartman there, who is both C and winger. This is what I mean by insurance.
Krebs needs to be the injury insurance but he's not a 4th liner and can't ride the bench. He just. Does. Not. Fit.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Krebs needs to be the injury insurance but he's not a 4th liner and can't ride the bench. He just. Does. Not. Fit.
I'm willing to trade Krebs, but I'm also willing to give him a chance as a 3C, but I'd like to see Adams traded for a player who can play C/W and if Krebs can't do well, replace him in that spot.

Reactions: kirby11

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
I'm willing to trade Krebs, but I'm also willing to give him a chance as a 3C, but I'd like to see Adams traded for a player who can play C/W and if Krebs can't do well, replace him in that spot.
Strictly speaking, Adams really can't afford to give players chances. He needs to make the playoffs or he is gone. Any year before this I would agree with giving Krebs a look, but he did get that look last year and was bad.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Strictly speaking, Adams really can't afford to give players chances. He needs to make the playoffs or he is gone. Any year before this I would agree with giving Krebs a look, but he did get that look last year and was bad.
I agree we need a more proven option at 3C, I just feel like Adams is tied to Krebs, maybe because of the Eichel trade, maybe he just likes him, maybe Lindy said he likes him. It's not like Krebs isn't getting a chance to play with decent players in the top 9 though. Mitts hasn't looked good or produced while playing with VO, Asplund, Jost and Krebs.

That's why I said if they like Krebs but they're not 100% sure about him, which makes sense, they could trade for a guy who could be a top 9 winger if Krebs excels as a 3C. Or that guy could be a 3C if Krebs looks bad.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
I agree we need a more proven option at 3C, I just feel like Adams is tied to Krebs, maybe because of the Eichel trade, maybe he just likes him, maybe Lindy said he likes him. It's not like Krebs isn't getting a chance to play with decent players in the top 9 though. Mitts hasn't looked good or produced while playing with VO, Asplund, Jost and Krebs.

That's why I said if they like Krebs but they're not 100% sure about him, which makes sense, they could trade him for a guy who could be a top 9 winger if Krebs excels as a 3C. Or that guy could be a 3C if Krebs looks bad.
They might be looking at Kulich and Savoie as 3C options too if Krebs struggles. I think anyone can win that Job this camp.

Reactions: Fjordy

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
2 to 3 years ago from 2022 puts this at 2019 or 2020. Adams became GM in 2020.

So this tweet gets us no closer to knowing if it was Botts or Adams who almost traded Tage for a 5th.

You left out the .330 year by Adams.
The one where Krueger had power?

How are there still posters who believe that Adams built that team like a normal GM? Krueger was the co-GM in all but name, answered directly to Pegula (not Adams) and had the same power over the roster that McDermott has with the Bills. How soon we forget the flat management structure and Pegula’s love affair with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: BUCKSHOT and Irie

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
I actually find the Adams experiment very interesting as every year there’s a few new posters that get fed up for the same reasons as the few from the year before

Granted, the spectrum is vast so this could go on for a while, but everyone’s spirit will be broken in time

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
This man stood at a podium at the end of the season and honestly looked like he finally got it. That his team and his roster needed help and he had failed them.

He stood in front of the media before the draft openly discussing moving 11 for help. Open for business. Open for anything that will help his neglected roster.

He stood in front of the media after Free Agency opened saying he was happy with his team after failing to add a top 6 forward or 3C.

Either he was lying before the draft or he failed miserably since then. You aren’t begging people to know you are open for business to remake the 4th line. The D is still the same mess. He never replaced Mittelstadt. Krebs got a promotion. the top 6 is missing a big piece.

Whether he was lying of he was incapable…he needs to be replaced by someone who can do the job. Or is at least willing to try.

Reactions: BFLO

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
I personally don’t think he’d be fired for poor performance. He’s Pegula’s guy and wasn’t brought in solely because he’s a great GM in the first place. Pegula seems okay to let him learn on the job for as long as it takes.
Pegula probably treats him like a government employee when its time to replace him, he promotes him to POHO and then another GM is brought in.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
The one where Krueger had power?

How are there still posters who believe that Adams built that team like a normal GM? Krueger was the co-GM in all but name, answered directly to Pegula (not Adams) and had the same power over the roster that McDermott has with the Bills. How soon we forget the flat management structure and Pegula’s love affair with it.

In the end, it doesn't matter. He owns that season just like he owns the seasons after. He was the GM on record for those signings.

It'd be one thing that in next few seasons he proved to have capable roster building acumen and was a master recruiter

He's sold off assets and hasn't made any significant improvements since.

He had a bounty of draft picks and turned them into prospects. That doesn't really take any special skill.

We've lauded him for being patient. I am starting to wonder if he's tried to be aggressive at points and simply doesn't know how. Because he claimed everything was on the table and he walked away with a different 4th line and overpaying a guy who went for a 6th at the trade deadline.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I want Krebs shot into the sun because he was never our draft pick, has not shown much, and just does not seem skilled enough to handle bigger roles.

Now I am not saying get rid of him for a 4th, but package him for a real center we can count on. Adams needs to, that 3C will be his success or him getting fired this year.
The fact that Krebs wasn't a Sabres draft pick is largely irrelevant.

Your second statement is half valid. I'm good with trading Krebs for a better player, even as part of a package deal. 3C won't be the reason Adams gets fired.

Because some of the moves posters are yearning for are knee jerk reactions, unreasonable, or just simply don't fit the Sabres needs.

The Sabres desperately need a net front scoring presence, and hopefully that type of player can also play physical. That's why I've been advocating for a Tkachuk trade for months. The Sabres als lost offensive creativity when the traded Mittelstadt. That's why I'm advocated for a Zegras trade.

But just going out and getting a 3C for the sake of getting a 3C..... any 3C..... is foolish.

And..... the team's real 3C might be on the roster. Posters think Tampa is trading Cirelli. They aren't. But Cozens is the exact same type of player. So if he's not put at wing, put him as the 3C. Trade for Zegras as the 2C.

But just to take swings in free agency for the sake of getting players? Detroit has done that for 3 seasons and they are no better for it. Between Detroit's approach and Buffalo's, I'd rather wait to see if Krebs develops than do what Detroit did.

Take a look at the Athletic's player cards. Copp is getting $5.6M a year as the 3C. Chiarot has been a disaster. Even Compher as a 2C is just hitting where he should. Detroit is stuck with some contracts.

At least Krebs is young, has potential to improve, and he's cheap. Cozens had a down year and still basically gave the team what Compher did.

So, I'm completely about moves. Just have to be the right ones.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Maybe he just can't do it. He lacks that grip, lacks that experience, lacks the guts. Look at how Zito built this team, not through the draft, but through bold moves, through low-risk, high-reward trades.

Kevyn has assets to trade, but he seems to be constantly retreating, afraid of losing some of his prospects or Krebs, who he might be tied to.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018

Your second statement is half valid. I'm good with trading Krebs for a better player, even as part of a package deal. 3C won't be the reason Adams gets fired.

Because some of the moves posters are yearning for are knee jerk reactions, unreasonable, or just simply don't fit the Sabres needs.

The Sabres desperately need a net front scoring presence, and hopefully that type of player can also play physical. That's why I've been advocating for a Tkachuk trade for months. The Sabres als lost offensive creativity when the traded Mittelstadt. That's why I'm advocated for a Zegras trade.

But just going out and getting a 3C for the sake of getting a 3C..... any 3C..... is foolish.

And..... the team's real 3C might be on the roster. Posters think Tampa is trading Cirelli. They aren't. But Cozens is the exact same type of player. So if he's not put at wing, put him as the 3C. Trade for Zegras as the 2C.

But just to take swings in free agency for the sake of getting players? Detroit has done that for 3 seasons and they are no better for it. Between Detroit's approach and Buffalo's, I'd rather wait to see if Krebs develops than do what Detroit did.

Take a look at the Athletic's player cards. Copp is getting $5.6M a year as the 3C. Chiarot has been a disaster. Even Compher as a 2C is just hitting where he should. Detroit is stuck with some contracts.

At least Krebs is young, has potential to improve, and he's cheap. Cozens had a down year and still basically gave the team what Compher did.

So, I'm completely about moves. Just have to be the right ones.
You're the only one picking targets that are unavailable or that Adams will never trade for. That's your problem.

I told you I'm willing to give Krebs a shot, but I want to see insurance. I also never asked for a guy like Copp to be signed to this contract. I think Hartman's contract is better and he's a good player who will improve our team.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
You're the only one picking targets that are unavailable or that Adams will never trade for. That's your problem.

I told you I'm willing to give Krebs a shot, but I want to see insurance. I also never asked for a guy like Copp to be signed to this contract. I think Hartman's contract is better and he's a good player who will improve our team.
You think my problem is that I'm picking the wrong targets? Tkachuk's situation sounds earily similar to Eichel's. And Zegras is available according to multiple reports.

So, you want to give Krebs a chance at 3C but want insurance? So you basically want a 4C who could be a 3C or a winger who can play center well. Teams don't typically trade those players.

Minnesota isn't trading Hartman. He fits in perfectly with that team. They player your describing is Colton Sissons. And Trotz doesn't trade those types of players.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Adams has largely done this.

Adams also talked about being close to UPL.

Goalies have a huge mental portion of their game. I don't think Adams really wanted to trade UPL. I don't think it was an accident.

I personnaly wanted Mitts to be shot in the sun but that was 6 years ago and when he finally started showing after the Krueger firing I started to like him.
I dont have the patience to wait another 3 years until Krebs turns into something, which is not a gurantee after they botched his development because Adams created a logjam in Rochester instead of trading someone and aquiring a vet bottom 6 (not sending Krebs down to the minors where he actually belonged).
The time to win is now, I have lost my patience which I had with Adams after his inactivity to act during last season and finally with the Mitts trade reshuffling again for less experience.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Maybe he just can't do it. He lacks that grip, lacks that experience, lacks the guts. Look at how Zito built this team, not through the draft, but through bold moves, through low-risk, high-reward trades.

Kevyn has assets to trade, but he seems to be constantly retreating, afraid of losing some of his prospects or Krebs, who he might be tied to.
I’d argue he doesn’t just have assets to trade…he has assets he needs to trade.

You’re really going to run an Amerks team with

Rosen
Kulich
Savoie
Ostlund
Wahlberg
Neuchev
Kisakov
Kozak
Nadeau
Johnson
Novikov
Komarov
Metsa
And maybe even Helenius!

What…what are we doing here? How is this good for any of them? You can’t ice 2/3rds of your goddamned AHL team with prospects. Wahlberg just gonna be a 4th line minutes guy this year? That’s the development path?

His inaction isn’t just hurting the team anymore. It’s also hurting the future.

And what happens next year? We miss for the 14th time…still need those moves from three f***ing years ago he hasn’t made…but we’ll instead get younger again because six more prospects are ready for the NHL and we have two spots for them! Meanwhile value keeps slipping and your nhl team is an even bigger joke

Someone over there has got to get a handle on how bad this is getting. How bad he is making this.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022

When I see this roster, line 1/4 is set. 2 needs a high-end winger which will be filled by Zucker or Benson which is not ideal but is okay. We now know this team has a notoriously bad performing third line that disappears for 30 games every year. We need this line to be good and consistent. Sabres aren't Edmonton, they need more offense from their third line. Greenway isn't exactly a point producer, Zucker is up in the air, and Benson is super young. So that third line could be invisible if Kreb's can't elevate them.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
You think my problem is that I'm picking the wrong targets? Tkachuk's situation sounds earily similar to Eichel's. And Zegras is available according to multiple reports.

So, you want to give Krebs a chance at 3C but want insurance? So you basically want a 4C who could be a 3C or a winger who can play center well. Teams don't typically trade those players.

Minnesota isn't trading Hartman. He fits in perfectly with that team. They player your describing is Colton Sissons. And Trotz doesn't trade those types of players.
I'm all for getting Zegras or Tkachuk, I just don't see Adams doing it. For him to give up 3-5 assets for one of those players. Considering Adams seems like a guy who doesn't make those kinds of trades, except when he traded Eichel. I'll believe it when I see it.

Not really, I was talking about a player who can play both 3C and mid-six winger, not 4C. But your option could work too. Hartman was just an example, there are other players like that out there.

Eller - 3C/4C

Suter - 3C/3W (maybe 4C/4W)

Colton - 3C/3W

Granlund, Novak, McLeod, Gourde, Dickinson, Drury. Maybe Kotka.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018

Rosen
Kulich
Savoie
Ostlund
Wahlberg
Neuchev
Kisakov
Kozak
Nadeau
Johnson
Novikov
Komarov
Metsa
And maybe even Helenius!

What…what are we doing here? How is this good for any of them? You can’t ice 2/3rds of your goddamned AHL team with prospects. Wahlberg just gonna be a 4th line minutes guy this year? That’s the development path?

And what happens next year? We miss for the 14th time…still need those moves from three f***ing years ago he hasn’t made…but we’ll instead get younger again because six more prospects are ready for the NHL and we have two spots for them! Meanwhile value keeps slipping and your nhl team is an even bigger joke

Someone over there has got to get a handle on how bad this is getting. How bad he is making this.
It's very similar to Rob Blake and LA, where he had this hot, big pool of prospects for a few years and most of them went broke. He kept them in the AHL too long and they barely developed in the NHL

Reactions: sabremike

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I personnaly wanted Mitts to be shot in the sun but that was 6 years ago and when he finally started showing after the Krueger firing I started to like him.
I dont have the patience to wait another 3 years until Krebs turns into something, which is not a gurantee after they botched his development because Adams created a logjam in Rochester instead of trading someone and aquiring a vet bottom 6 (not sending Krebs down to the minors where he actually belonged).
The time to win is now, I have lost my patience which I had with Adams after his inactivity to act during last season and finally with the Mitts trade reshuffling again for less experience.
Here's the rub - it's not any of our patience that's being taken into account. Adams has a plan, which he's articulated. A lot of it is his patience with players.

Rosen
Kulich
Savoie
Ostlund
Wahlberg
Neuchev
Kisakov
Kozak
Nadeau
Johnson
Novikov
Komarov
Metsa
And maybe even Helenius!

Largely agree. I've been saying that the forward pool is too large for the team. That's why I'd be fine with the Tkachuk trade I've advocated for (Kulich, Peterka, Jokiharju, and a 1st).

My only difference is that I wouldn't trade Savoie, Ostlund, or Helenius. It's too hard to find centers.
When I see this roster, line 1/4 is set. 2 needs a high-end winger which will be filled by Zucker or Benson which is not ideal but is okay. We now know this team has a notoriously bad performing third line that disappears for 30 games every year. We need this line to be good and consistent. Sabres aren't Edmonton, they need more offense from their third line. Greenway isn't exactly a point producer, Zucker is up in the air, and Benson is super young. So that third line could be invisible if Kreb's can't elevate them.
I could make the same argument you're making about anyone on the 3rd line.

"Greenway isn't exactly a point producer, Krebs is still developing, and Benson is super young. So that third line could be invisible if Zucker can't elevate them."

It's not a Krebs thing.
I'm all for getting Zegras or Tkachuk, I just don't see Adams doing it. For him to give up 3-5 assets for one of those players. Considering Adams seems like a guy who doesn't make those kinds of trades, except when he traded Eichel. I'll believe it when I see it.

Not really, I was talking about a player who can play both 3C and mid-six winger, not 4C. But your option could work too. Hartman was just an example, there are other players like that out there.

Eller - 3C/4C

Suter - 3C/3W (maybe 4C/4W)

Colton - 3C/3W

Granlund, Novak, McLeod, Gourde, Dickinson, Drury. Maybe Kotka.
Most of those options won't get traded. Colton is a maybe because of Colorado's cap situation, but he's a better wing. Kotkaniemi is possible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad