Kevyn Adams GM thread

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
It would go down as a top 5 fleecing in history
If you go back to the expansion draft...the consensus was that Tage wasn't worth protecting. That it was only being done to appease Pegula because he forced the RoR trade...especially getting it done for a low return before his bonus was paid...and this was what he got.

People can pretend it wasn't. But the internet is forever.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
If you go back to the expansion draft...the consensus was that Tage wasn't worth protecting. That it was only being done to appease Pegula because he forced the RoR trade...especially getting it done for a low return before his bonus was paid...and this was what he got.

Consensus != fact

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia

Yep. That arrogance was the only reason they kept him around for as long as they did and then couldn't give him away. Would he have been plucked by vegas(?)

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Maybe I’m just spitballing but is there any chance Friedman was making that shit up? I know I know but there a first time for everything.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest

This is revisionist history,

Tage had a really good Worlds tournament right before the expansion and there was a lot of hype about what the Sabres actually had in him.

Now maybe some of the no-nothing talking heads that don't actually understand what they are watching, but have very strong opinions that they trumpet to the world to drum up clicks, that could be possible, but scouts and folks that understand the game were intrigued.

Reactions: Jeremy2020

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Adams is awful. I’ll watch the first few games for the nostalgia of Lindy back but again this team is trash. The whole revamping the 4th line is what I clamored for last year before that clown brought the bums back. f***ing loser Gm for a loser franchise and city

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

sabremike

#1 Tageaholic
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Adams is awful. I’ll watch the first few games for the nostalgia of Lindy back but again this team is trash. The whole revamping the 4th line is what I clamored for last year before that clown brought the bums back. f***ing loser Gm for a loser franchise and city
Adams is comically unqualified for his position and in way over his head but he's just a symptom of the actual problem: the historically awful and incompetent owner.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Capture.PNG

I started Murray's sum with 2013-14 as he took over for Regier over halfway through 2012-13.

Since Pegula bought the team, there have been 4 .500+ seasons. One was all Regier, one was the Regier-Murray start of the tank season, and then you have the last two seasons under Adams.

Reactions: Dubi Doo

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
Ok. I'll bite. (But just once.)

He didn't do what you were clamoring for last year. Boo! He did it this year. Boo!

Historical background: Tank stupid. Murray/Botts miscarriage. Skinner! Nylander! Housely Sabres win ten straight (3RWs, but hey). Collapse. Wheezy Death. Kevyn Who hired. Eichel wants out. Oh, please, please stay, Jack. We love our precious tank-baby.

Less than four years ago (October 2020), Botts' man Krueger bangs the table for Hart-winner Taylor Hall. New boy Kevyn spends to the cap. Dead last. Abandon ship!

Kevyn is on the clock beginning with the execution of Ralph in March 2021 and is now fully in charge of a historically bad, Philadelphia Quakers level franchise.

In the last three years and four months the team has gone from cold garbage to a bubble-ish team. After this off-season's moves, the team is in far better shape than it was last year. It has a solid fourth line. There's depth in goal. The top six is ready to be refreshed with strong talent from the pipeline. And we have an experienced coach who will be focused on winning and not development.

This is steady, sustainable improvement over time. I'm satisfied. Continued incremental improvement should bring the Sabres into the playoffs soon. If not this year, then next.

Feel free to continue howling.

Last edited:

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
View attachment 891765

I started Murray's sum with 2013-14 as he took over for Regier over halfway through 2012-13.

Since Pegula bought the team, there have been 4 .500+ seasons. One was all Regier, one was the Regier-Murray start of the tank season, and then you have the last two seasons under Adams.
Botts is the only GM who improved every year yet gets trashed the most.

If one said Botts had a plan, winning percentage would back that up.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

Botterill wasn't supposed to see a last place team his first year. Then he improved on that unexpected season, but still was worse than Murray's competitive years (Murray had long term injuries to key guys both years), and then he improved on that, but still fell short of overcoming what he was sought to do, and that was be better than Murray.

But like Murray, he wasn't fired because of his on-ice results. And that's where the crux of the issue lies.

My issues with Botts was his head coaching hires and his complete disregard for a physical element to the team's play. Everything else was just 'meh' with him. He wasn't close to the "Boy Wizard" that came with the hype.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Ok. I'll bite. (But just once.)

He didn't do what you were clamoring for last year. Boo! He did it this year. Boo!

Historical background: Tank stupid. Murray/Botts miscarriage. Skinner! Nylander! Housely Sabres win ten straight (3RWs, but hey). Collapse. Wheezy Death. Kevyn Who hired. Eichel wants out. Oh, please, please stay, Jack. We love our precious tank-baby.

Less than four years ago (October 2020), Botts' man Krueger bangs the table for Hart-winner Taylor Hall. New boy Kevyn spends to the cap. Dead last. Abandon ship!

Kevyn is on the clock beginning with the execution of Ralph in March 2021 and is now fully in charge of a historically bad, Philadelphia Quakers level franchise.

In the last three years and four months the team has gone from cold garbage to a bubble-ish team. After this off-season's moves, the team is in far better shape than it was last year. It has a solid fourth line. There's depth in goal. The top six is ready to be refreshed with strong talent from the pipeline. And we have an experienced coach who will be focused on winning and not development.

This is steady, sustainable improvement over time. I'm satisfied. Continued incremental improvement should bring the Sabres into the playoffs soon. If not this year, then next.

Feel free to continue howling.
Good point. At this rate, It’ll only be 10 more years until we win a playoff round.

Botterill wasn't supposed to see a last place team his first year. Then he improved on that unexpected season, but still was worse than Murray's competitive years (Murray had long term injuries to key guys both years), and then he improved on that, but still fell short of overcoming what he was sought to do, and that was be better than Murray.

But like Murray, he wasn't fired because of his on-ice results. And that's where the crux of the issue lies.

My issues with Botts was his head coaching hires and his complete disregard for a physical element to the team's play. Everything else was just 'meh' with him. He wasn't close to the "Boy Wizard" that came with the hype.
We don’t even know how much decision-making power Botts had. I doubt Housley was 100% his decision, for starters.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
I know I'm probably in the minority here but I absolutely love the forward moves Adams has made so far. I honestly think our current top two lines and the talent in the pipeline will provide sufficient offense for a playoff bound team. More importantly, Lafferty, Malenstyn, and NAK is on paper the best checking line we've seen in years. Compare that to last year's trio to KO/Krebs/Girgensons and we're talking a massive step forward. We all recognize how soft this team is and how they're routinely bullied by more physical opponents. Well that gap in toughness to play against just got whittled down to almost nothing, The finishing touch being the ouster of Skinner for the much grittier Zucker, whom I've come to appreciate over the past week as I dig more into his style of play and strengths as a hockey player.

I'm a little less certain about the composition of our defense, Moving on from Joker seems like a priority at this stage. The ability to flip him for a more abrasive stay at home RHD would be glorious, but I don't know the odds of that occurring. Samuelsson's injury plagued career does not inspire confidence, but getting 65-70 games out him next season could be a huge internal boost to the blue line. Not sure Gilbert moves the needle much but he's fine as a depth signing.

Finally in terms of the roster a dialed in UPL for an entire season is a game changer for our playoff fortunes. I'd still like to see Levi in Rochester getting as much playing time as possible but it appears Adams has other plans. Reimer is decent insurance.

Then there's Ruff. Yes, I was not thrilled when he was brought back. But my ambivalence does not change the fact that he's the first legit NHL coach we've had since, well, Lindy Ruff. And any progress on the coaching front is welcomed after the string of losers we've hired over that past dozen years.

Still plenty of time for Adams to make more moves but if this is the team we're heading into next season with, I'm good with it.

Reactions: michaelsaas

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site

Was he perfect, no. But, he's been the best GM we had since Regier.

The coaching hire wasn't fantastic. The UFA pool wasn't fantastic filling a bottom 6 but he inherited an awful situation from Murray and like you said and the stats say, we got better every year. A lot of his biggest critiques were also driven through ownership. (ROR trade, Housley, Skinner extension, etc.)

Adams, inherited an improving team and dropped our winning percentage by 16%. He's shown regression twice. His trades and signings have been bad. Drafting has been the consistent good through the last two regimes.

I'm not sure how Adams gets so little criticism. He has been a bottom 5 GM in the league and will likely not be a GM again once fired.

Botts was respected enough to get a job shortly thereafter.

I know I'm probably in the minority here but I absolutely love the forward moves Adams has made so far. I honestly think our current top two lines and the talent in the pipeline will provide sufficient offense for a playoff bound team. More importantly, Lafferty, Malenstyn, and NAK is on paper the best checking line we've seen in years. Compare that to last year's trio to KO/Krebs/Girgensons and we're talking a massive step forward. We all recognize how soft this team is and how they're routinely bullied by more physical opponents. Well that gap in toughness to play against just got whittled down to almost nothing, The finishing touch being the ouster of Skinner for the much grittier Zucker, whom I've come to appreciate over the past week as I dig more into his style of play and strengths as a hockey player.

I'm a little less certain about the composition of our defense, Moving on from Joker seems like a priority at this stage. The ability to flip him for a more abrasive stay at home RHD would be glorious, but I don't know the odds of that occurring. Samuelsson's injury plagued career does not inspire confidence, but getting 65-70 games out him next season could be a huge internal boost to the blue line. Not sure Gilbert moves the needle much but he's fine as a depth signing.

Finally in terms of the roster a dialed in UPL for an entire season is a game changer for our playoff fortunes. I'd still like to see Levi in Rochester getting as much playing time as possible but it appears Adams has other plans. Reimer is decent insurance.

Then there's Ruff. Yes, I was not thrilled when he was brought back. But my ambivalence does not change the fact that he's the first legit NHL coach we've had since, well, Lindy Ruff. And any progress on the coaching front is welcomed after the string of losers we've hired over that past dozen years.

Still plenty of time for Adams to make more moves but if this is the team we're heading into next season with, I'm good with it.
We have 0 depth for when injuries occur, especially on offense. What happens if Cozens or TNT get injured? Season is over.

Our center spine isn't near good enough, we need (Mitts), well a top 9 center for sure. Another Top 9 winger would be another good place to be and I agree Joki needs to be off the roster. Was hoping they wouldn't qualify him.

Reactions: Sabresfansince1980

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I'm not sure how Adams gets so little criticism. He has been a bottom 5 GM in the league and will likely not be a GM again once fired.
Because he just drafts and does nothing. He barely trades for players. I remember Botterill getting criticized when he traded ROR and didn't fill that hole. Adams did the same thing, traded Mitts and didn't fill that hole. But for some reason people don't pay attention to that.

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
Because he just drafts and does nothing. He barely trades for players. I remember Botterill getting criticized when he traded ROR and didn't fill that hole. Adams did the same thing, traded Mitts and didn't fill that hole. But for some reason people don't pay attention to that.
And thankfully Tage worked out and we got Ryan Johnson and another pick we traded for Collin Miller.

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
Botterill's plan involved hiring family friend Ralph Krueger.

That alone is worthy of being trashed as a GM, IMO.
Botterill deserved to be fired for hiring Krueger. Even worse than hiring Krueger was bringing Krueger back after he failed to make the playoffs the COVID year when they let 24 teams in. And that was technically Adams.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Botterill deserved to be fired for hiring Krueger. Even worse than hiring Krueger was bringing Krueger back after he failed to make the playoffs the COVID year when they let 24 teams in. And that was technically Adams.
No, that was Pegula. He thought he found his McDermitt for the Sabres in Krueger. He set up the same power structure the Bills had.

Reactions: SabresFan26

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

Botts winning %

Adams

Neither was or has been good enough as GM. But Adams has put together better teams. Two of them were just development years. He wasn’t even trying to be a playoff team. Something Botts was trying to do every season of his tenure.

Last edited:

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
As GMs are packing up for the weekend, its time to accept that Adams simply isn't a functional GM. He told everyone that no stone would be un-turned, everything is on the table, aggressive improvement.

We got a marginally better 4th line, swapped Skinner for Zucker, and will likely have 8M or so in cap space sitting on the table once everyone is signed.

Every press conference is excuses.

Other teams don't want to make trades

Our tax rate is too high

Players just don't want to come here.

Maybe the Sabres make the playoffs, maybe they don't. It isn't a herculean task to finish in the top 16 of a 32 team league. If some of their kids have breakout years and Thompson/Cozens/Tuch return to form, Power takes the next step and UPL is great again. Maybe the stars align.

Probably not though. The amount of things that have to break right for us to make the playoffs are a lot less likely than the amount of things that have to go wrong for other teams to miss.

On paper, at least,

Washington, Ottawa, NJ, the Islanders all added significant pieces.

Ahead of us, in our divison, the top 4 hasn't changed. Florida, Tampa, Boston, and Toronto. In the Metro, the only real team to take a step back is probably Carolina. They've gone from a lock for top 3 to fighting with the Islanders and Washington for a spot.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
As GMs are packing up for the weekend, its time to accept that Adams simply isn't a functional GM. He told everyone that no stone would be un-turned, everything is on the table, aggressive improvement.

We got a marginally better 4th line, swapped Skinner for Zucker, and will likely have 8M or so in cap space sitting on the table once everyone is signed.

Every press conference is excuses.

Other teams don't want to make trades

Our tax rate is too high

Players just don't want to come here.

Maybe the Sabres make the playoffs, maybe they don't. It isn't a herculean task to finish in the top 16 of a 32 team league. If some of their kids have breakout years and Thompson/Cozens/Tuch return to form, Power takes the next step and UPL is great again. Maybe the stars align.

Probably not though. The amount of things that have to break right for us to make the playoffs are a lot less likely than the amount of things that have to go wrong for other teams to miss.

On paper, at least,

Washington, Ottawa, NJ, the Islanders all added significant pieces.

Ahead of us, in our divison, the top 4 hasn't changed. Florida, Tampa, Boston, and Toronto. In the Metro, the only real team to take a step back is probably Carolina. They've gone from a lock for top 3 to fighting with the Islanders and Washington for a spot.
The Top 16 don't always make the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad