Canada Soccer Part VII: Copa America Semifinal Edition

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
I think you will see:

Larin up top

Millar/JD/Laryea

Kone/Eustaquio

Regular back 4

Millar has been at his best when trying to combine with Davies on the left.. We will need some Davies overlaps and some balls in for the big boys.

I do believe Marsch spent Osorio's bullets last game with the idea of not getting Kone a card to be suspended and to have Kone bounce back here.

Tajon may have got back in to start but it will be Laryea used as the blunt instrument down the right, to harass Aramburu and give his all for as long as he can or until we need something else.

Shaff goes back to his super sub role down the left for Millar where he seems to really excel when defenders are just a touch fatigued.

Tani for Larin who can't be playing 90 minutes.

Russell-Rowe down the right for Laryea if we need a goal.

Leaves 1 sub for an unexpected injury or Osorio late for some assurance on the ball.

I don't see anyone else getting into the rotation without something happening.

We miss Tajon for obvious reasons, we miss Hoilett who would have been an option on the right to replace Tajon and we miss Adekugbe to give us a left back that would allow Davies to play as an attacker if need be.

We've given opportunities to Akinola, Cavallini (for way too long), Ugbo and Brym. I do think Theo has some potential as a box forward for long throws or late corners. Tani more of a stretch or counter forward.

I gave very little consideration to penalties here, which could certainly put Osorio in the fray.

Because of our style of play the good thing about Copa is there is no extra Time. I can agree with your front 3 and David as #10 but benching Osorio after the game he's had would be a step backwards.

Kone has been our worst starter while Oso had a hell of a 2nd half against Chile. He is our most capped player, with major club experience. Kone is still a novice, an unfinished product and we tend to forget that.

We need Osorio in difficult moments with high pressure while Kone is protected with less duties giving him the opportunity to redeem himself from the disastrous earlier performances.

The only good news with our wingers is you know when Shaff comes on he'll deliver. I don't mind Laryea but I can't stand Millar. I hope he proves me wrong.

I personally believe it's time we see some Bair, Waterman, Choinière. If we go through and they manage to make a good impression we will be more flexible to adjust due to Tajon's absence than have Millar by default.

Last edited:

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Because of our style of play the good thing about Copa is there is no extra Time. I can agree with your front 3 and David as #10 but benching Osorio after the game he's had would be a step backwards.

Kone has been our worst starter while Oso had a hell of a 2nd half against Chile. He is our most capped player, with major club experience. Kone is still a novice, an unfinished product and we tend to forget that.

We need Osorio in difficult moments with high pressure while Kone is protected with less duties giving him the opportunity to redeem himself from the disastrous earlier performances.

The only good news with our wingers is you know when Shaff comes on he'll deliver. I don't mind Laryea but I can't stand Millar. I hope he proves me wrong.

I personally believe it's time we see some Bair, Waterman, Choinière. If we go through and they manage to make a good impression we will be more flexible to adjust due to Tajon's absence than have Millar by default.
You could be right on Oso. He has had 6 days.

The Euro quarters are merely an appetizer for tonight.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
The lineup is out. Oso is starting over Kone Thankfully.

Larin
Shaff-David-Laryea
Oso-Eustaquio
Back 4

I'm just happy there is no Millar.
Yep - stuck with what he had last time. Millar will be on at some point and I felt it would be better to start him. Shaff for the second half and Shaff for pens. Maybe Marsch is saying to heck with pens and playing to win.

Reactions: red devil and Tuggy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad