Injury Report: Kevin Klein - Post #1 For All Updates: Klein says he's good to go!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raspewtin

Stay at home defenseman hater
May 30, 2013
Kostka's HERO chart also shows him being better than Shea Weber. Ever think that Kostka is just an example of good fancy stats, but actual bad play on the ice?

This is the perfect timee to bring up McIlrath and let him get some games under his belt.

But by what measure? His horrible game against the Islanders?

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Whatever. I'm not going to reply to every post individually, so..

Yeah, I do find it hard to believe he will be drastically improved a few months after his last game. What did I see that was so awful? As I said, he seemed slow, out of place, hesitate to make a decision but at least he put a fight on the scoresheet to make himself seem a little useful.

It wasn't just Boyle who played over him. IIRC Koskta was playing over McIlrath as well.

and YES I did see people hyping McIlrath LAST season. How much he had improved, strides taken etc. Exactly what is being said now was said then.

Someone mentioning how its been 450 days since his first NHL game. Hes played 2 since. Doesn't that say something? I realize our D is deep.. but still.

I don't think its ignorant to judge him on the games I've seen him play. Its only the 3 games, but the fact that hes been in the organization for 5 years and has only sniffed the NHL in emergency situations says something about his play.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
and i still dont think McIlrath was as bad as people want to make him out to be in those games. a lot of his problems were general team problems that exacerbated mistakes he made.

he's a rookie. Hayes looked blah at times this year. Miller was sent down to Hartford. He's been one of our best forwards for a while despite not putting up a ton of points.

this is why i wanted McIlrath to play over Hunwick when we had a few injuries...he's a long term solution to our cap problem. Hunwick isnt. Until you try him, you won't know.

If McIlrath can play, and produce, and not hurt you. Keep him, trade Klein, recoup assets at the draft, and bring back the team we want to next year by saving on his contract.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
If only there was some way to do both?

Of course you can, but that is where discrepancies are found.

A corsi chart tells you Kostka is a great player, but when you watch him play, his decision making ability, turnovers, awareness, positioning, and various other things that you see while watching him, argue against the data chart.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Not a big deal IMO.

Hunwick will fill in...McIlrath playing makes negative sense. Hunwick has played 40 games this year and is a +12, why the **** would McIlrath play?

Hunwick is a LD, and he's a short term solution. Put McIlrath in. At worst you can shelter his minutes and bench him in close end game situations. i fail to see how AV can shelter the ever loving crap out of a useless player in Tanner Glass but can't do the same thing for McIlrath one of our top prospects.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Hunwick being a lefty is a very poor reason to play him over McIlrath. He may be a short term solution, but the problem (Klein's injury) is short term as well.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Hunwick being a lefty is a very poor reason to play him over McIlrath. He may be a short term solution, but the problem (Klein's injury) is short term as well.

You'll have to move someone over, or completely rework the pairs.

the rangers seem to prefer, for most shifts, unless they are specific situational shifts, to do 1 Offensive Defenseman with one Defensive Defenseman.

Putting Hunwick with Yandle? Oof..not sure I like that pairing at all. Against Buffalo it won't be a problem..but going forward? High Risk for sure.

I like McIlrath...I think he deserves a shot...and by a shot I don't mean 1 game with limited minutes. Give him 4 or 5 games. Shelter his minutes, let him adapt.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Hunwick has been with the team the entire year, and has played decently. So yeah, he's going to be in the lineup. Its not an insult to Mcilrath, its just stating the obvious.
I'm honestly surprised people are discussing him. :help:

Hunwick has played 40 games with us this year. We're not in a playoff race, correct, we're in the President's trophy race. They already tweeted that Hunwick will be in, just like he should be, no?

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Looking at cap calculatíons on different sites - in theory there is plenty of cap space to recall a player now - especially with Lundquist on LTIR. Makes no sense at all right now to talk about cap issues. Must mean that The Big Bad Brass knows that there is substantial bonus money to be paid out to Hayes, Fast and Miller - money that they do not want to defer to next season as the cap will be really tight as it is...

HowdyDrewDoughty

Mar 5, 2015
What about sliding McDonagh to right side (as he played well in 2014 Olympics)? Then roll the pairs:

Staal --- McDonagh
Yandle ---- Girardi
Hunwick ---- Boyle

Hunwick is a lefty, replacing Klein who is a righty.

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
But by what measure? His horrible game against the Islanders?

I just haven't liked him in any game I've seen him play contrary to what the stats say, and I like using advanced stats. I'll admit that it's probably a personal bias on my part, but I don't want to see Kostka recalled from Hartford.

BrianLeetch2

The Butcher
Oct 4, 2005
Toms River NJ
Kostka sucks, If he was any good as his charts say some team would have him in their top 6. Someone here said his Hero Charts were better than Shea Weber. Wow

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Back it up with what? Some numbers that don't tell the whole story?

Just because you have a stat for something doesn't mean you "backed it up"

My "proof" is that every game I've watched McIlrath play on the pro squad he has been slow, made bad decisions and quite frankly looked like he was playing at a level that was too high for him.

I don't have any numbers for you, though. I know that you think your numbers are better than actually just watching and evaluating, and you actually believe Girardi is a bad player :laugh:

Yeah it kind of does. If I go into my CEO's office to give him my opinion on something and start spouting off nothing but conjecture, I will be laughed at. Stats don't tell the whole story. However, the eye test does not either. If anything, it is smarter to use just statistics because it is an understood metric. 10 goals is 10 goals. Two people can watch a game and their "eye tests" will have completely different results.

Whatever. I'm not going to reply to every post individually, so..

Yeah, I do find it hard to believe he will be drastically improved a few months after his last game. What did I see that was so awful? As I said, he seemed slow, out of place, hesitate to make a decision but at least he put a fight on the scoresheet to make himself seem a little useful.

It wasn't just Boyle who played over him. IIRC Koskta was playing over McIlrath as well.

and YES I did see people hyping McIlrath LAST season. How much he had improved, strides taken etc. Exactly what is being said now was said then.

Someone mentioning how its been 450 days since his first NHL game. Hes played 2 since. Doesn't that say something? I realize our D is deep.. but still.

I don't think its ignorant to judge him on the games I've seen him play. Its only the 3 games, but the fact that hes been in the organization for 5 years and has only sniffed the NHL in emergency situations says something about his play.

You are kidding right? You sit here and bash other posters use of statistics and talk about your proof being that you have seen him play. Your proof is THREE GAMES???

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Please no kostka. If Klein is out for extended time as are just gonna have to live with hunwick. The beauty of having 6 capable guys was that basically none of our defenseman played over 20 minutes a game. I mean yandle got 18 minutes vs the caps. That bodes quite well for the playoffs and the long season.
Just hope with Klein being out that doesn't change but I could definitely see a Domino effect occurring where hunwick won't be able to share the minutes equally with the rest of the d

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
First off--just no to Kostka. Whatever his corsi numbers are I don't care. He sucks. He hasn't proven he can play in the NHL at all and I doubt he'll be back with us next year. McIlrath probably will and if there was a time to get a good idea where his game is at--it's now. So if we're calling someone up we might as well go with the guy that might still have some future here.

But....AV I very strongly suspect is going to use a left hander on the right side for now. He's going to put Hunwick back in the lineup and see how things go before anyone is called up. It's just which left hander? moves over to the right and again I wouldn't play either Staal or McDonagh on the right side. Staal because of his eye injury/vision issues and McDonagh because he got creamed already in a right side experiment earlier this year which knocked him out of the lineup for a while. As for now we should beat both Buffalo and Florida--next two games and get a decent idea how Hunwick's coming back in the lineup is going to work.

It's a whole lot better when you have right handed D playing on the right side. I expect Girardi is going to get a lot of extra ice time and Boyle's minutes will go up to. Hopefully Klein won't be out too long.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
What about sliding McDonagh to right side (as he played well in 2014 Olympics)? Then roll the pairs:

Staal --- McDonagh
Yandle ---- Girardi
Hunwick ---- Boyle

Hunwick is a lefty, replacing Klein who is a righty.

This is EXACTLY what I'd do. If McDonagh can play the way he did in the Olympics on the right side, that top pairing has some serious potential. I think Yandle can only benefit from increased minutes and Girardi can benefit from lesser assignment as well.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Looking at cap calculatíons on different sites - in theory there is plenty of cap space to recall a player now - especially with Lundquist on LTIR. Makes no sense at all right now to talk about cap issues. Must mean that The Big Bad Brass knows that there is substantial bonus money to be paid out to Hayes, Fast and Miller - money that they do not want to defer to next season as the cap will be really tight as it is...

That was my thinking as well, but I don't see many bonuses that they could earn.

The "B" bonuses are out of the question for all 3, except maybe Hayes, but I doubt he'll be top 3 in Calder Voting. Too much competition.

Of the "A" bonuses, Hayes might get the bonus for the end of season All Rookie Team. Outside that, I don't any of the 3 earning bonuses.

It's possible that Hayes could reach 20 goals or 35 assists, but unlikely. So the most we will likely have to pay out in bonuses is $212,500.

Last edited:

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I would do

McDonagh-Girardi
Staal-Yandle
Hunwick-Boyle

I think that's what I'd do as well. One thing I've noticed about Yandle so far is he's really cagy about not getting hit square when he does get hit and he's good at making guys miss altogether. After McDonagh's injury earlier in the season I don't want to do that experiment with him again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad