Proposal: Kessel to NYR

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Bill Armstrong was based out of Providence as a scout for the Blues for most of his NHL scouting career. He only moved to St Louis once he became an AGM. He was even a coach for the AHL team in Providence. I suspect he knows Brett Berard’s father rather well. I’m guessing he keeps an eye on Brett.

On draft day, when BA was forced to sit out, and was not allowed to participate, I was sitting in my home screaming “Berard! Berard!” at my TV screen. I couldn’t believe he dropped to the Coyotes. Their picks had all be sanctioned by the NHL because the previous GM was an idiot and a cheater.

Anyway, the Coyotes took Mitchell Miller instead. Then all hell broke loose and the team was absolutely disgraced. Again. For the millionth time.

I bet as Bill Armstrong sat alone in his office watching the draft, he was probably screaming “Berard! Berard!” at his TV screen also. I bet he smashed all his new furniture and punched a few holes in the walls when they took Miller.

I bet BA would retain 50% on Kessel to get Berard.

That same year, the Blues took Jake Neighbors in the 1st. Armstrong ran their scouting team that whole year, until a couple of weeks before the draft. He likely had a hand in the decision to take Neighbors.

Armstrong’s very first pick was Dylan Guenther that next year. Obviously Guenther and Neighbors were teammates in Edmonton. So clearly Armstong had eyes on the Oil Kings for a couple of years. He spent two high picks on a couple of their best players.

Matthew Robertson was the team MVP in Jake Neighbors’ draft year. And he was team captain in Dylan Guenther’s draft year.

I bet BA would retain 50% on Kessel to get Robertson.

If the rangers are going to trade any cost controlled guys with solid progress/potential- think Berard/Cuylle/Othmann/Robertson/Lundkvist/Jones etc it will def be in a package for a legit young 2C, not a 1yr rental like Kessel.
If NYR wanted Kessel for the playoffs, the most I’d see them offering is a draft pick or a prospect that’s lower on the depth chart but that still has some potential. Example ( Renunnen)

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Bill Armstrong was based out of Providence as a scout for the Blues for most of his NHL scouting career. He only moved to St Louis once he became an AGM. He was even a coach for the AHL team in Providence. I suspect he knows Brett Berard’s father rather well. I’m guessing he keeps an eye on Brett.

On draft day, when BA was forced to sit out, and was not allowed to participate, I was sitting in my home screaming “Berard! Berard!” at my TV screen. I couldn’t believe he dropped to the Coyotes. Their picks had all be sanctioned by the NHL because the previous GM was an idiot and a cheater.

Anyway, the Coyotes took Mitchell Miller instead. Then all hell broke loose and the team was absolutely disgraced. Again. For the millionth time.

I bet as Bill Armstrong sat alone in his office watching the draft, he was probably screaming “Berard! Berard!” at his TV screen also. I bet he smashed all his new furniture and punched a few holes in the walls when they took Miller.

I bet BA would retain 50% on Kessel to get Berard.

That same year, the Blues took Jake Neighbors in the 1st. Armstrong ran their scouting team that whole year, until a couple of weeks before the draft. He likely had a hand in the decision to take Neighbors.

Armstrong’s very first pick was Dylan Guenther that next year. Obviously Guenther and Neighbors were teammates in Edmonton. So clearly Armstong had eyes on the Oil Kings for a couple of years. He spent two high picks on a couple of their best players.

Matthew Robertson was the team MVP in Jake Neighbors’ draft year. And he was team captain in Dylan Guenther’s draft year.

I bet BA would retain 50% on Kessel to get Robertson.

thanks but no interest in Kes-meister
if due to surplus that is not there yet but may emerge, we can then discuss yr interest in those guys

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
3rd party fan in this but I would absolutely think Kessel makes sense for a team like the Rangers.

Better player than given credit for, a playoff performer and no commitment beyond this season.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I don't think the cost is high.

acknowledged but not the point
Rangers have an emerging young core that needs mins
they should be trading Strome NOW to max his return value and give those mins now to Barron and also create a roster spot for Krav when he gets here.

We do not need or want Kessel and forced to give him mins is counterproductive

they are already juggling lines way too much.
should roll w/best combos and let them familiarize, develop chemistry.
adding another vet F does NOT help w/that

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
they should be trading Strome NOW to max his return value and give those mins now to Barron and also create a roster spot for Krav when he gets here.

Morgan Barron cannot play 2C at this point, that's stupid, especially when the Rangers are one of the top teams in the league, you don't liquidate players.

Kravtsov isn't likely to play another game for the NYR.

Adding a player like Kessel might get a playoff round win which is good, especially if it doesn't cost the farm to do so. Rangers will trade youth at some point for real NHLers, nothing wrong with that.

Kreider-Zibby-Kakko
Panarin-Strome-Kessel
Lafreniere-Chytil-Goodrow

Solid top 9.

The mindset of futures futures futures youth youth youth is silly.

Overrateprospects

Dec 23, 2021

Morgan Barron as 2C? What do you think they get for Strome?

noupf

Jan 31, 2007
Enough is enough with these Kessel to NYR threads. His ass is old, slow and simply over the hill.......he is something that is absolutely not needed or wanted in New York.

If the Rangers are going to trade youth and picks, its sure as hell not going to be for an old ass Phil Kessel. Its going to be for somebody closer to their prime and that can seriously help for a couple years at minimum.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Morgan Barron cannot play 2C at this point, that's stupid, especially when the Rangers are one of the top teams in the league, you don't liquidate players.

Kravtsov isn't likely to play another game for the NYR.

Adding a player like Kessel might get a playoff round win which is good, especially if it doesn't cost the farm to do so. Rangers will trade youth at some point for real NHLers, nothing wrong with that.

Kreider-Zibby-Kakko
Panarin-Strome-Kessel
Lafreniere-Chytil-Goodrow

Solid top 9.

The mindset of futures futures futures youth youth youth is silly.

Obsession w/keeping Strome who we cannot afford is ridiculous.

Barron is playing 3C and can be pushed to 4C if nec
Goodrow- Zib - Panarin
LaF - Chytil - Gauthier
Kreider - Barron - Kakko
Reaves - Rooney - Hunt

once Kratsov can he wull return and bump Goodrow to 4th line W

we are not losing value by not playing Krav to establish his current value

pls admit that Zib + Fox raises confirm ZERO possibility of keeping Strome

Hence
get 2nd + each for both him and Geo, and use that in off season to continue to build best position

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Morgan Barron as 2C? What do you think they get for Strome?

Chytil line = 2C, tho if first 3 are all killing it no need to get overly hung up on numerical designations.
LaF - Chytil - Gauthier
this line is even better as LaF is starting to get NHL legs -> skating = better play = more scoring
Key here is to get down to your real core, and give them max mins to get chemistry.

So Barron = 3C
Kreider - Barron - Kakko
uncertain how well they score but will be terror to play vs

-------
Strome = late 2022 1st or equiv
more if retained
can be slightly more if delayed gratification and pick is not 2022 but 2023, etc

CupSeeker

Jan 28, 2021
What would NY be seeking in a Kravtsov deal? They don't seem to have much in the way of holes for a team on the other side of their rebuild. My thought would be an NHL player that doesn't block the kids but helps the team reach and possibly excel in the playoffs (not necessarily Kessel). Would that be an accurate assumption or do NY fans see a clear hole or player they want to upgrade where Kravtsov would be part of a package for?

Eichel is obviously someone NY had/has interest in but he's special in a way most players are not. Is there a spot that needs to be filled by someone more common?
We need an upgrade at 2C. Other than that we are pretty much set. We need to be patient and let these youngins develop but there is nobody in the pipeline that projects to 2C unless Chytil starts to reach his potential.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
We need an upgrade at 2C. Other than that we are pretty much set. We need to be patient and let these youngins develop but there is nobody in the pipeline that projects to 2C unless Chytil starts to reach his potential.
What 2C that's available are you sure can add more value than Strome? Unless they manage to pry Horvat out of Van or the Wings make Larkin available, I'm not sure I see a player who is definitively better than Strome out there. Not to mention the cost to acquire a Horvat or Larkin.

Last edited:
Reactions: Barnaby

CupSeeker

Jan 28, 2021
What 2C that's available are you sure can add more value than Strome? Unless they manage to pry Horvat out of Van or the Wings Larkin available, I'm not sure I see a player who is definitively better than Strome out there. Not to mention the cost to acquire a Horvat or Larkin.
that is the challenge. Reilly Smith? Horvat would be a home run depending on the cost. Giroux?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Obsession w/keeping Strome who we cannot afford is ridiculous.

Barron is playing 3C and can be pushed to 4C if nec
Goodrow- Zib - Panarin
LaF - Chytil - Gauthier
Kreider - Barron - Kakko
Reaves - Rooney - Hunt

once Kratsov can he wull return and bump Goodrow to 4th line W

we are not losing value by not playing Krav to establish his current value

pls admit that Zib + Fox raises confirm ZERO possibility of keeping Strome

Hence
get 2nd + each for both him and Geo, and use that in off season to continue to build best position

Your line up is f***ing bananas lol.

Kreider-Zibby are a pair
Panarin is strictly a LW, ditto with Reaves at RW.

Are you even a NYR fan or just posing as one?

CupSeeker

Jan 28, 2021
And what assets are you giving up for Smith?
As little as possible for a rental. They are in cap hell with Eichel, so hopefully a 2nd and one of our "extra" young defenseman not named Schneider, Jones, Lundqvist or Robertson. Although, Robertson would not be a deal breaker if Krav is coming back and we have a real shot at going a few rounds. I firmly believe that playoff experience (as much as possible) is crucial this year cause we will have the talent to compete starting next year with our young guys progressing. I would also consider Garand or Geo if Vegas wanted a goalie.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
As little as possible for a rental. They are in cap hell with Eichel, so hopefully a 2nd and one of our "extra" young defenseman not named Schneider, Jones, Lundqvist or Robertson. Although, Robertson would not be a deal breaker if Krav is coming back and we have a real shot at going a few rounds. I firmly believe that playoff experience (as much as possible) is crucial this year cause we will have the talent to compete starting next year with our young guys progressing. I would also consider Garand or Geo if Vegas wanted a goalie.
I really don't understand how you fail to understand that you need to give in order to get. You want to get a legit NHL center without giving up anything of value. It doesn't work that way.

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Chytil line = 2C, tho if first 3 are all killing it no need to get overly hung up on numerical designations.
LaF - Chytil - Gauthier
this line is even better as LaF is starting to get NHL legs -> skating = better play = more scoring
Key here is to get down to your real core, and give them max mins to get chemistry.

So Barron = 3C
Kreider - Barron - Kakko
uncertain how well they score but will be terror to play vs

-------
Strome = late 2022 1st or equiv
more if retained
can be slightly more if delayed gratification and pick is not 2022 but 2023, etc
Pretty sure Laf-Chytil-Gauthier arent even playing together anymore.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I don't understand why Reilly Smith keeps getting brought up to play 2C for NYR. There's a reason he's playing wing and it wasn't because Vegas was stacked at center, especially when Karlsson was out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad