Proposal: Kessel to NYR

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Indeed he is.
I think the teams that should be interested in Kessel are teams looking to compete, who’ve had an underachieving power play.

New Jersey is an example. They added Hamilton and maybe that’s enough. But they want to take the next step and had one of the worst power plays in the NHL last season.

San Jose is still trying to hang on for some reason. They should give up but Doug Wilson won’t. They had a very poor PP last season and now with Kane’s fate up in the air, who knows?

Calgary had a bad power play last season, too. They are another team desperately trying to keep the little window open. Kessel would undoubtedly boost their PP. If they think that can help get them over the hump, perhaps they’d be interested.

Chicago, Philly, and St. Louis are other options that might make some sense from a “we’re on the bubble and could use a PP boost” perspective. But, you know, the Rangers are also on that list. They had a very average PP last year. I’d think they could bank on internal improvement from young guys, though. Then again Buchnevich for Blais doesn’t help.

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
I would be intrigued with the JETS loading up for the playoffs and picking up Kessel at the deadline.

Jets only have three R/H shots on the roster (Wheeler, Pionk and DeMelo)

Not sure what I’d be comfortable trading, but definitely wouldn’t get into a bidding war because honestly he’d be a luxury. A potentially valuable luxury, but a luxury none the less.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I think the teams that should be interested in Kessel are teams looking to compete, who’ve had an underachieving power play.

C3559D5F-5942-4606-917A-B2DFE27DC864.jpeg

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Kessel for Nemeth is a done deal.

1. I think AZ gets more for PK elsewhere, so moot pt.
2. While this is an expiring contract, generally do not want to do assets better deployed for long term either building surplus of talent or dealing for cheap but quality asset with more than expiring term for cost paid.
3. That said, if Kessel surrenders his NMC and I can flip him again if I want to, I consider retained Kessel.
4. Nemeth is a wonderful surprise and short term stays No to N for K.
5. A deal that works for me is:
Geo
McKegg
Hajek
Brodzinski

for

kessel

we can partially retain on Geo so if yotes want to flip him for picks, that ups his value.

Howev, I do not want to give any other pieces for K

LionsHeart

Mar 25, 2009
Queens, NY
NYC seems like the last place Kessel would want to go tbh.
The amount of hot dog stands we have here will surely change his mind.

In all seriousness, Kessel does and doesn’t make sense. I could see it at the deadline, but not now. I also wonder if they’d maybe want to see what else the market has to offer in a few weeks.

Reactions: DazeHereToAmaze91

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
I would be intrigued with the JETS loading up for the playoffs and picking up Kessel at the deadline.

Jets only have three R/H shots on the roster (Wheeler, Pionk and DeMelo)

Not sure what I’d be comfortable trading, but definitely wouldn’t get into a bidding war because honestly he’d be a luxury. A potentially valuable luxury, but a luxury none the less.
Arizona could use a tough, defensively responsible checking center. And a tough, defensively responsible stay at home defenseman. That’s what I’d be looking for in a Kessel deal.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I’d be willing to drop a 3rd and a mid level prospect... maybe a 2nd but I’d have to think about it. Kessel might be a fit on the RW next to Zibanejad and Kreider. I don’t believe the Rangers would need retention this year so I wouldn’t want to pay extra for that.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
I’d be willing to drop a 3rd and a mid level prospect... maybe a 2nd but I’d have to think about it. Kessel might be a fit on the RW next to Zibanejad and Kreider. I don’t believe the Rangers would need retention this year so I wouldn’t want to pay extra for that.
AZ already has two retention slots tied up. So a deal with no retention, allowing them to retain on another piece at the deadline, would likely be appealing enough to drop the asking price.

Reactions: banks and Barnaby

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Rangers don’t have a 3rd this year.

Retention kind of irrelevant on expiring contract/wouldn’t be prohibitive.

Reactions: bernmeister

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Kessel is nmc w/some ntc per CF.
Also 34, when does he it 35/+ protections.

While NY can take w/o retention, and as I said can retain on Geo, we:
- can not give up first or second and do not have a third this year
we can discuss a 3rd for next year which can be downgraded if K busts
- need to obtain value for included Hajek, who must be included so we can reduce our roster size, but then also must include McKegg, so that we can eventually not only add Kessell but also Kravtsov

I would actually prefer to
bring in Barron
see how Kessell works out and if decent, flip him for a profit
use that roster space for Kravtsov

however, if K controls everything under his contract, that may be enuf monkey wrench to kabosh this

Kessell should not be viewed as instant win now gratification
\he should be considered, if applicable, as a stop gap investment who is a short term hopefullly useful body that facilitates our longer term roster moves.

both on grounds of not investing in average 30+, 35+ guys
AND
more immediately, since we clearly have our hands tied up $/cap wise until Trouba is moved, this guy is not gonna be extended next year no matter what.
THEREFORE
do not surrender long term assets for short term squander

KingTech

Sep 20, 2020
Arizona could use a tough, defensively responsible checking center. And a tough, defensively responsible stay at home defenseman. That’s what I’d be looking for in a Kessel deal.
Phil would help out our pp huge. Would Lizzotte and a 3rd be enough?

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
NYR could use a RW
What’s the cost on Kessel ?
Have the cap space . 2nd rounder ?

Kravtsov avail but would need some futures back too

Kessel and a 2nd for Kravtsov and ?

No Krav is a stud doing well in the K.
Drury will capitulate and let him play here and humbled from this experience will listen to bern and play K w/top shelf guys for signif mins

NO NO NO
we are not dealing youth for vets

and wtf about Kess?
Whotf knows how much he has got left in the tank

We are doing well, but need still to set up for future dominance

get something for Strome, sell high, promote Barron
Geo to oil

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
NYR could use a RW

A 5th? Can’t see it being any more than that.

Flan the incredible

Nov 8, 2014
If Arizona can move any player with a big dollar contract (Kessel) without retaining it might allow them to trade another player they normally wouldn't be able to without retention (Stralman etc).

Still don't see a big return for Kessel with or without retention.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
NYR could use a RW

No, Kravtsov is not going to be a part of a trade for a rental.

Also Kessel is not the right type of player for the Rangers.

Reactions: bernmeister

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Bill Armstrong was based out of Providence as a scout for the Blues for most of his NHL scouting career. He only moved to St Louis once he became an AGM. He was even a coach for the AHL team in Providence. I suspect he knows Brett Berard’s father rather well. I’m guessing he keeps an eye on Brett.

On draft day, when BA was forced to sit out, and was not allowed to participate, I was sitting in my home screaming “Berard! Berard!” at my TV screen. I couldn’t believe he dropped to the Coyotes. Their picks had all be sanctioned by the NHL because the previous GM was an idiot and a cheater.

Anyway, the Coyotes took Mitchell Miller instead. Then all hell broke loose and the team was absolutely disgraced. Again. For the millionth time.

I bet as Bill Armstrong sat alone in his office watching the draft, he was probably screaming “Berard! Berard!” at his TV screen also. I bet he smashed all his new furniture and punched a few holes in the walls when they took Miller.

I bet BA would retain 50% on Kessel to get Berard.

That same year, the Blues took Jake Neighbors in the 1st. Armstrong ran their scouting team that whole year, until a couple of weeks before the draft. He likely had a hand in the decision to take Neighbors.

Armstrong’s very first pick was Dylan Guenther that next year. Obviously Guenther and Neighbors were teammates in Edmonton. So clearly Armstong had eyes on the Oil Kings for a couple of years. He spent two high picks on a couple of their best players.

Matthew Robertson was the team MVP in Jake Neighbors’ draft year. And he was team captain in Dylan Guenther’s draft year.

I bet BA would retain 50% on Kessel to get Robertson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad