Value of: Kerfoot + Dermott

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

heisenbergsitti

Aug 23, 2021
Ek, Hartman and Rask are being used as the top 3 centres on the Wild right?

Currently Kerfoot has produced 11 pts in 17 GP

Which is as much as the 2 leaders on Minnesota, Hartman and Kaprizov.

EK has 8 and Rask has 1 point. Sturm has 5.

Kerfoot is also only owed 2.7M actual money next year, less than his cap hit. I would say that Minnesota would have a need/want on Kerfoot on the price based upon him being more productive than most Wild, his contract and versatility.

Rask hasn't played all year, this was literally his 1st game in a while. Again wild don't need Kerfoot. He's not a top 6c. Minnesota has Marco Rossi with Marat Khusnutdinov coming. Kerfoot isn't even a c, and he wouldn't play on Minnesota as a Winger. Points aren't everything considering Hartman has 8 goals. It's not Minnesota fault leafs don't have depth like Minnesota .

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Rask hasn't played all year, this was literally his 1st game in a while. Again wild don't need Kerfoot. He's not a top 6c. Minnesota has Marco Rossi with Marat Khusnutdinov coming. Kerfoot isn't even a c, and he wouldn't play on Minnesota as a Winger. Points aren't everything considering Hartman has 8 goals. It's not Minnesota fault leafs don't have depth like Minnesota .

Kerfoot can play C/LW, when JT went down, who do you think played 2C? 6 pts in 7 GP, not too shabby.

Also, in my experience don't count on all your prospects panning out or reaching their potential.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Kerfoot will be traded most likely after July 1 when he is owed 750 k.

Floor teams would love a 26 year old 40 pt player for league min. And free 2.7 I. Cap

Reactions: 93gilmour93

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
This trade is part of something larger I’m working on, but just want to gauge some opinions on this part of the trade.

if the leafs were to trade Kerfoot + Dermott to a team like Buffalo/Arizona for only pick(s) in return, how much could we get back?

this isn’t a regular cap dump since both these players are good and are on good contracts (relative to their abilities) and only cost a combined $5 million. They also both have an additional year left on their contracts.

would Buffalo/Arizona’s own 2nd work? 2nd + 3rd? or is that too much?

Why the arbitrary packaging? and why are Arizona and/or Buffalo giving up draft picks?

You want to "dump" Kerfoot and/or Dermott for futures and then turn around to use those futures for some other bigger piece, sure, there is a logic to that although it's rarely ever done.

In shopping Kerfoot, you've gotta look for a mid-level team that needs a depth forward and has some cap space. Boston, New Jersey, Rangers, Nashville, Seattle, Columbus and Anaheim all theoretically plausible destinations.

In shopping Dermott, likely a little more flexibility given his cap hit, and the fact that he's younger... but the same principle applies. Bad teams don't generally give up draft picks mid-season.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Man, this forum's inability to follow a player and reliance solely on several-year old narratives is hilarious. Kerfoot has improved his game significantly over the past year and is a versatile and responsible middle six forward. He does well on the 2nd line wing and can play 3c. He gets decent production for his contract, plays reasonable defense, and produced 6 points in 7 games in the playoffs. I know y'all love to point out that he's in every thread and while I'm thrilled to congratulate you on your astute observational skills, I really must insist that the cap dump narrative is two years old and that you should do better.

Frankly, I can't see us moving him any time soon unless it's in a deal for a much bigger name. Considering that the Leafs are still plagued by playoff demons and big names are expensive, I doubt very much that sort of deal is in the works. As per usual, he might be traded in the summer to open up cap space, especially if the Leafs are confident in someone like Robertson or Amirov being ready for a middle six wing job.

Dermott, eh, he's serviceable. I don't see any reason why we should be giving up our defensive depth. I wish people would just relax and enjoy having 7 good defensemen instead of trying to ship them out to get 3rd round picks or whatever.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Man, this forum's inability to follow a player and reliance solely on several-year old narratives is hilarious. Kerfoot has improved his game significantly over the past year and is a versatile and responsible middle six forward. He does well on the 2nd line wing and can play 3c. He gets decent production for his contract, plays reasonable defense, and produced 6 points in 7 games in the playoffs. I know y'all love to point out that he's in every thread and while I'm thrilled to congratulate you on your astute observational skills, I really must insist that the cap dump narrative is two years old and that you should do better.

Frankly, I can't see us moving him any time soon unless it's in a deal for a much bigger name. Considering that the Leafs are still plagued by playoff demons and big names are expensive, I doubt very much that sort of deal is in the works. As per usual, he might be traded in the summer to open up cap space, especially if the Leafs are confident in someone like Robertson or Amirov being ready for a middle six wing job.

Dermott, eh, he's serviceable. I don't see any reason why we should be giving up our defensive depth. I wish people would just relax and enjoy having 7 good defensemen instead of trying to ship them out to get 3rd round picks or whatever.

The problem is, in addition to being a 2nd line winger (which he's decent at doing), is that he's also our "backup" 2nd line centre. Yes, I know he has 5 points in 18 games which isn't horrible, but David Kampf is a black hole offensively. He cannot step up into a 2nd line role if Matthews or Tavares get hurt. Kerfoot can.

heisenbergsitti

Aug 23, 2021
Kerfoot can play C/LW, when JT went down, who do you think played 2C? 6 pts in 7 GP, not too shabby.

Also, in my experience don't count on all your prospects panning out or reaching their potential.

Well a top 10 pick. And potential 1st round pick will pan out. Also Minnesota doesn't need anymore Wings. Toronto can keep Kerfoot

bellringer77

Nov 14, 2017
I’d be interested in just Dermott because Detroit is just barebones on the left side outside of Leddy.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Ek, Hartman and Rask are being used as the top 3 centres on the Wild right?

Currently Kerfoot has produced 11 pts in 17 GP

Which is as much as the 2 leaders on Minnesota, Hartman and Kaprizov.

EK has 8 and Rask has 1 point. Sturm has 5.

Kerfoot is also only owed 2.7M actual money next year, less than his cap hit. I would say that Minnesota would have a need/want on Kerfoot on the price based upon him being more productive than most Wild, his contract and versatility.
Kerfoot is producing as a LW not as a C. The Wild have no need for another W. They would gladly upgrade at C, but Kerfoot hasn't shown any ability to produce from the C spot at anything more than a #3C. As you pointed out the Wild don't have a Tavares or a Matthews getting the defensive match-ups and helping Kerfoot's point totals.

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
The value of those two are not as much as people may like. What the leafs may get for them won’t make sense and they’re better of holding on to them for the playoffs.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Kerfoot is producing as a LW not as a C. The Wild have no need for another W. They would gladly upgrade at C, but Kerfoot hasn't shown any ability to produce from the C spot at anything more than a #3C. As you pointed out the Wild don't have a Tavares or a Matthews getting the defensive match-ups and helping Kerfoot's point totals.

Kerfoot was 2C in playoffs last year and produced 6 points in 7 games.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Kerfoot was 2C in playoffs last year and produced 6 points in 7 games.

Kerfoot - That’s lovely, but wouldn’t his career numbers be weighted juuust a bit more? I’m not saying he’s just a cap dump but he’s probably not worth moving for what he’d bring back.

Dermott? I mean he’s he’s a 6/7 so why not keep him for depth. Why deal him for a mid rounder?

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
That’s lovely, but wouldn’t his career numbers be weighted juuust a bit more? I’m not saying he’s just a cal dump but he’s probably not worth moving for what he’d bring back.

I think he could likely fetch a 2nd in the right situation but the Leafs likely won't do it because he's insurance for a Matthews/JT injury, maybe an off-season move.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I think he could likely fetch a 2nd in the right situation but the Leafs likely won't do it because he's insurance for a Matthews/JT injury, maybe an off-season move.

He may, he may not. It depends on how he continues playing and who sees him as a fit. An offseason move would make more sense like you said.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009

Kerfoot's production has always been, and will always be, driven by his linemates. Put him in a 2nd line role with "top 6 quality" wingers, and he'll produce just fine.

Put him in a 3rd line role, where you use one of the top 2 lines in a matchup situation (think Boston with Bergy or Maybe St. louis) and he'll also do just fine.

His challenge is, he's not really suited to be a "shutdown line C" because he's weak on the draw.... And a lot of teams (not all) have 2 centres better offensively than him. Very few teams use one of their top 2 Cs in a shutdown role.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Kerfoot is a decent player. Dermott meh, not so much. Vanilla player.

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
If Kerfoot was on any other team you’d be trying to peddle him to Toronto for Robertson+1st, but because he’s producing on the leafs he’s worth nothing

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
I think at this point Kerfoot will not be traded as he's been our only good LW'er. Ritchie and Engvall have been pretty bad. Bunting has been ok, but is not a Top 6 winger.

If anything your looking to acquire a rental LW without giving up a 1st and hoping they can take Ritchie or Engvalls contracts.

There is the chance the Leafs get help internally in the form of Robertson, Steeves or Ho-Sang to help out. I also don't see Mikheyev making much of a difference when he comes back.

Last edited:

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
"Minnesota need Kurfoot!"
"No they don't they need a top 6 center"
"But look at all those points"
"Yes, he got those points playing with a top 6 center, which is why we need an actual top 6 center"

/Thread

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Well then maybe you guys should keep him and try moving out the players who don't step up their game during the playoffs.

I know you're probably looking for something to feel good about with your team but remember, if you're not first, you're last.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad