Confirmed with Link: Kent Johnson extended, 3 years 1.8AAV

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
Fantastic. I thought Waddell spoke about a one-year deal? I certainly didn't expect it to be longer rhan two years.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
No clue why he'd sign a 3 year deal, but nice for cbj. Surely 2 years should be enough to get a big deal

Unless there's some big cap increase coming at that point which would make it worth it for him?

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Didn't Waddell say it was going to be a one year deal?

Anyway, 1.8M per is very reasonable and 3 years might be actually better than 2 because it's expiring a year later (2027) than some other current ELCs and bridge deals (2026: Fantilli, Brindley, Jiricek, Chinakhov, Svozil) so it might give them more flexibility for roster construction down the road.

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
No clue why he'd sign a 3 year deal, but nice for cbj. Surely 2 years should be enough to get a big deal

Unless there's some big cap increase coming at that point which would make it worth it for him?
Maybe he reasons that the progress he'll make over the next three years will be greater than the next two years, so that he'll get a significantly better next deal than he otherwise would.

Reactions: CBJx614

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I'm not sold on KJ. I see a good chance of him becoming a dime-a-dozen soft winger who will put up 40 points with PP time. He certainly isn't worthy of anything more than this contract at this point. The CBJ hedge their bet on him with very little risk. Smart stuff.

Waddell is being very prudent with his contracts-which is a welcome change from the previous incompetents.

The Monahan deal is rich but it's a prudent risk as a possible jump starter to the to-this-point ghastly Gaudreau deal.

Last edited:

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
It's surprising that KJ / Brisson would do that many years at such a low salary number.
I just don't think that they had much leverage. It may also speak to Waddell's people skills-something that Jarmo was extremely lacking in from my point of view.

He's basically guaranteed $5.4 million over this deal and it should set him up for life at a very decent standard of living. If he washes out-which is a possibility-he and his agent made a very good choice. If he doesn't-which is also a possibility-then he cashes in at the ripe old age of 24.

Sometimes I think we can forget that what might be considered a small contract is really a very big contract when one compares what a player's earnings potential is in the absence of hockey.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
It's surprising that KJ / Brisson would do that many years at such a low salary number.
I am shocked Brisson accepted this considering our past history with him. This is almost too good of a value to CBJ...that man must REALLY HATED Jarmo...
KJ just made himself more obtainable for the Canucks, the team he really wants to play for... there can't be any other reason.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
Like this contract. I wasn't a huge fan of the 1 year idea, because I feel like it literally just kicks the problem down the road to deal with again. Now he's settled in and identified as a potential core piece. Both he and the team have committed to each other in the short term, and thats good.

Hope we get Silly and Marchenko locked in over the coming days with no drama.

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
I'm not sold on KJ. I see a good chance of him becoming a dime-a-dozen soft winger who will put up 40 points with PP time. He certainly isn't worthy of anything more than this contract at this point. The CBJ hedge their bet on him with very little risk. Smart stuff.

Waddell is being very prudent with his contracts-which is a welcome change from the previous incompetents.

The Monahan deal is rich but it's a prudent risk as a possible jump starter to the to-this-point ghastly Gaudreau deal.
I don't see KJ on the CBJ when this deal expires. He's way too soft for my liking and I don't see that changing. So, it should be a pretty easy contract to move if he has a decent season.

Thank God we didn't sign him to that massive 7 year deal that some wanted last summer.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
That's a great deal. 3 years will tell us who he's going to be and the price is more than rig6

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Another good deal for both sides with a slight ad to the CBJ. Now if Silly & Marchenko sign similar length (2 or 3 years) and reasonable $ I will give D-Wad an A+ for the signings.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I just don't think that they had much leverage. It may also speak to Waddell's people skills-something that Jarmo was extremely lacking in from my point of view.

He's basically guaranteed $5.4 million over this deal and it should set him up for life at a very decent standard of living. If he washes out-which is a possibility-he and his agent made a very good choice. If he doesn't-which is also a possibility-then he cashes in at the ripe old age of 24.

Sometimes I think we can forget that what might be considered a small contract is really a very big contract when one compares what a player's earnings potential is in the absence of hockey.

I don't think KJ is a washout type of player, way too intelligent. He'll find a way. But it does seem that his camp is not overly confident that he'll figure it out in one year. They're playing a very long game.

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
I don't think KJ is a washout type of player, way too intelligent. He'll find a way. But it does seem that his camp is not overly confident that he'll figure it out in one year. They're playing a very long game.
Not overly confident?
Both player and agent are probably confident in the player’s ability
They probably agreed because they liked the money and the term

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Not overly confident?
Both player and agent are probably confident in the player’s ability
They probably agreed because they liked the money and the term
If they were confident they could get something like an 8mil per year deal with term after the season they would have pushed for 1

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad