Confirmed with Link: Kent Johnson extended, 3 years 1.8AAV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
FTR, I'd rather he be training with James Malatesta rather than Bedard and Celebrini.
Why?

He's known and played with Bedard for years? And guys like Bedard and Celebrinni are more likely to be training with higher profile trainers.

Maletesta and Johnson aren't likely to be teammates this year, so it's not like the need to be gaining chemistry.

I think I'd rather Johnson be in this company

Rather than someone who may never even play in the NHL

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Why?

He's known and played with Bedard for years? And guys like Bedard and Celebrinni are more likely to be training with higher profile trainers.

Maletesta and Johnson aren't likely to be teammates this year, so it's not like the need to be gaining chemistry.

I think I'd rather Johnson be in this company

Rather than someone who may never even play in the NHL
Pretty sure that was in reference to the style of play of Malatesta vs Bedard and the workout history of Malatesta. Not that Bedard or McJesus aren't worthy partners but that Malatesta's game is very, very different and they want THAT to rub off... I think it was a bit tongue in cheek from that regard.

Reactions: Doggy and Koira

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Pretty sure that was in reference to the style of play of Malatesta vs Bedard and the workout history of Malatesta. Not that Bedard or McJesus aren't worthy partners but that Malatesta's game is very, very different and they want THAT to rub off... I think it was a bit tongue in cheek from that regard.
I get that, but off-ice training isn't going to translate to Johnson changing his style of play.

He's also training with Bedard and Celebrinni because they are all from the same region, Malatesta is on the other side of the country.

Now if the point was that it would be nice if they were all in Columbus/Ohio training and getting ready for camp...that I would fully agree with.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
but Kent Johnson is never going to play the way James Malatesta does. he's a skill-first playmaking LW who thrives with the puck on his stick, should eventually run an NHL power play and can weave through guys in transition.

I'd much rather have him training with guys who are elite in playing a similar game to him and working to add speed (that's a hell of a group to work with if that's his goal) than trying to beef up. his game would benefit more from pace than from strength.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
but Kent Johnson is never going to play the way James Malatesta does. he's a skill-first playmaking LW who thrives with the puck on his stick, should eventually run an NHL power play and can weave through guys in transition.

I'd much rather have him training with guys who are elite in playing a similar game to him and working to add speed (that's a hell of a group to work with if that's his goal) than trying to beef up. his game would benefit more from pace than from strength.
It's not his goal, it's who he's actually working out with, Bedard and Celebrinni that is.

Now that he’s back on the ice and in the weight room, Johnson reiterated there won’t be any excuses come training camp. He's spent most of the past few weeks working out in his hometown of Vancouver with a group that includes the past two No. 1 overall picks in Connor Bedard and Macklin Celebrini, as well as Christiansen and such established NHLers as Alex Kerfoot and Mat Barzal.

Johnson also has found the time to visit teammate Cole Sillinger up the road in Kelowna, B.C., and tripped to visit and train with friend Owen Power in Toronto. He’ll likely spend the rest of the summer at home, though, and be ready to go when he’s back in Columbus for camp.

Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad