Confirmed with Link: Kent Johnson extended, 3 years 1.8AAV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GoChill

Apr 19, 2007
Has anyone seen the yearly breakdown of the deal? The final year is significant because that becomes his qualifying offer for the next contract. If this is 1.8, 1.8, 1.8 that is pretty cool. If it’s 800k, 800k, 3.8m it’s not as team friendly.

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
If they were confident they could get something like an 8mil per year deal with term after the season they would have pushed for 1
Exactly my point
It’s a negotiation
These players are ultra competitive
They don’t think that they can’t or won’t figure it out in an upcoming season
They are confident in their ability
When it comes to a contract they will usually be open to whatever is a fair offer given by the club….unless the club seeks to use the hammer

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009

“I could’ve signed a one-year deal, and had a year where you just prove it and try to get every dollar you can next year," Johnson said, "For me, I’m going to be really happy in my life if the next three years go like I think they will, and I’m going to be really underpaid. It will be a great thing, and I think a great thing for the team. I just feel good about that. That’s obviously the goal, to be really underpaid on this deal ... and with a one-year deal, there’s always risk with that too.”

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2011
This is a great contract for the Blue Jackets as the reward is far greater than the risk. I’m a bit surprised KJ accepted this offer but he must like the security it offers. To me, KJ is anything but Milano as one person said. KJ’s hockey IQ and playmaking skills are high level.

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Sponsor
Jul 13, 2022
Finland
KJ said:
“I could’ve signed a one-year deal, and had a year where you just prove it and try to get every dollar you can next year," Johnson said, "For me, I’m going to be really happy in my life if the next three years go like I think they will, and I’m going to be really underpaid. It will be a great thing, and I think a great thing for the team. I just feel good about that. That’s obviously the goal, to be really underpaid on this deal ... and with a one-year deal, there’s always risk with that too.”

Am I wrong thinking that players rarely use the word "underpaid" when talking about contracts, especially ones they've just signed? Can't remember anybody putting it quite like this - the way we fans do. Very refreshing. I hope he's right.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Am I wrong thinking that players rarely use the word "underpaid" when talking about contracts, especially ones they've just signed? Can't remember anybody putting it quite like this - the way we fans do. Very refreshing. I hope he's right.
He also burned an elc coming out of Michigan. That’s the con of doing that if you don’t do well on the elc or have a down year like Beniers did. Take a bridge deal. More guaranteed money but no chance at hitting any bonuses.

New HC so important to get to camp on time. Plus new gm who won’t have any loyalties to you.

Some players thrive under the pressure of a prove it year while others do better with some security. He now has at least 2 seasons to show he’s worth a big third contract.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Is Jarmo still negotiating contracts ??? Well if KJ gets 3 years, Marchenko ought to receive a life time contract.

CannonFire1

Jun 22, 2023
There is lots of talent but KJ is also coming off an injury, will need to acclimate to a new coach / system, and appears to have struggled adding strength. In those circumstances a 1 year deal carries risk. This buys him a lot of runway.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I’ve been wondering how KJ’s rehab is going and whether he’s been able to work on his lower body strength.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
To me, KJ is anything but Milano as one person said. KJ’s hockey IQ and playmaking skills are high level.

I think he’s on a completely different level than Milano, even if they play a similar style. Johnson seems to play in the middle of the ice more than Milano did. Johnson also has a very sneaky good shot. Very accurate and very good release. Panarin-like in that the quickness of their hands and accuracy make up for the overall velocity.

I’m not worried about Johnson as a player, similar to Milano. I’m worried about the length of time it will take for him to reach his potential, like with Panarin.

Noticed and enjoyed his wording. Team first attitude, while acknowledging he’s in a good position personally and enjoys his position within the team. Nice to finally have a player where things aren’t “lost in translation”…

I’ve been wondering how KJ’s rehab is going and whether he’s been able to work on his lower body strength.

The ONLY (or main) question I have with Johnson is this. His strength and overall fitness level. If there’s anything that will hold him back it’s going to be this. While his intensity level will need to ramp up a bit, that all should come naturally once he gains some size/strength/muscle.

The question is if he can or will put in the work to add the strength needed to be as effective as he can be on the ice, or just how long it will take.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Really like what Waddell is doing here , feels like there is an actual plan … his first 2 players he mentioned by name ( young players ) were Chinakov and Kj. Both signed great deals… Both are highly competitive players that work non stop in pursuit of being great . This deal with KJ is going to be a steal, especially with a competent coach . And KJ quotes show you he likes it here , and money isn’t his driving force . He’s committed to putting his head down , working , and the results will take care of themselves

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Has anyone seen the yearly breakdown of the deal? The final year is significant because that becomes his qualifying offer for the next contract. If this is 1.8, 1.8, 1.8 that is pretty cool. If it’s 800k, 800k, 3.8m it’s not as team friendly.
The QO for an RFA is no longer just based on the final year of the contract. It's now a max % increase over the AAV or something. You no longer have the deals like the Meier contract with SJ which was a $6 mill AAV but $10 mill cash in the final year or Tkachuck, $7 mill AAV with $10 mill in the final year.

Even with that, Johnson would have arbitration rights, so from his POV, he can still get a lot more than his QO. CBJ, won't have the pressure point of a high QO in the event KJ doesn't perform up to expectations.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
The QO for an RFA is no longer just based on the final year of the contract. It's now a max % increase over the AAV or something. You no longer have the deals like the Meier contract with SJ which was a $6 mill AAV but $10 mill cash in the final year or Tkachuck, $7 mill AAV with $10 mill in the final year.

Even with that, Johnson would have arbitration rights, so from his POV, he can still get a lot more than his QO. CBJ, won't have the pressure point of a high QO in the event KJ doesn't perform up to expectations.
I'm not sure that's accurate. I believe CBJ had to qualify Bean based on the last year if his deal which made it a no brainer to not qualify him. I could be wrong but that's what I recall this year.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I'm not sure that's accurate. I believe CBJ had to qualify Bean based on the last year if his deal which made it a no brainer to not qualify him. I could be wrong but that's what I recall this year.
For the amount that KJ signed for it would be the Leasor or the salary or 120% of the AAV cap hit.

For the amount that KJ signed for it would be the Leasor of the salary in the final year or 120% of the AAV cap hit.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I am gonna put this right here: I am skeptical KJ is remotely close to 100% come training camp. I think we should all be realistic.

Even if he has been able to work his lower body...and I think even working the lower body while rehabbing the upper body is complicated. Anyone ever had major shoulder surgery? I have...working up any muscle group in any area of the body puts pressure on muscles all over the body...you work out the legs you still feel it in the shoulder and upper body. Everything is connected.

I would not be shocked to see him still going easy in TC, start the year in Cleveland on a rehab assignment and then work his way back to Columbus. I don't know how long he can do a rehab assignment for or if it has to be an IR situation so he can continue to workout and get stronger but I just don't see him in a top nine role on the opening game roster.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I am gonna put this right here: I am skeptical KJ is remotely close to 100% come training camp. I think we should all be realistic.

Even if he has been able to work his lower body...and I think even working the lower body while rehabbing the upper body is complicated. Anyone ever had major shoulder surgery? I have...working up any muscle group in any area of the body puts pressure on muscles all over the body...you work out the legs you still feel it in the shoulder and upper body. Everything is connected.

I would not be shocked to see him still going easy in TC, start the year in Cleveland on a rehab assignment and then work his way back to Columbus. I don't know how long he can do a rehab assignment for or if it has to be an IR situation so he can continue to workout and get stronger but I just don't see him in a top nine role on the opening game roster.
I don't disagree, however, there were pictures (video?) circulating of him playing roller hockey this summer. I questioned it but it was confirmed it was him. while they may not be a checking situation, it still would point to the ability to have full mobility in his shoulder? I certainly think his contract is reflective that he is coming off surgery and year one could be a little rough. Use year 2 and 3 to show growth and then get his payday (here or elsewhere)

Reactions: squashmaple

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I don't disagree...I certainly think his contract is reflective that he is coming off surgery and year one could be a little rough. Use year 2 and 3 to show growth and then get his payday (here or elsewhere)
This is where I am at. I think GMDW and KJ's camp realized year one of the deal might not be indicative of his trajectory. He will be overpaid in year one and then hopefully the CBJ recoup that value on the back two years of the deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad