News Article: Kassian to have hearing with league (Suspended 2 games)

JarvisFunk

Apr 1, 2012
Saskatoon
I am at the point that I want Kassian to square up and let Tkachuk drop his gloves and then skate away.
Press conference after....."He really is not in my league" is what I want Kassian to say.
Would be funny, but I'd much prefer the absolute beatdown that is bound to occur

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
DCup hunting
Actually a good read and really paints the NHL poorly in the scenario.

From the article, this is stuff I've been saying for years. Glad to see the comments in press. I had the same analysis of the Bertuzzi/Moore situation. The NHL not only allows and empowers this, it grooms it.

It’s hard to avoid the thought that this was intentional. The NHL wants this bad blood, because bad blood sells tickets. The NHL wants people to tune into the game to see if Kassian will go after Tkachuk in some way, to see if some of that bad blood will be spilt on the ice.
Canucks fans have seen that type of revenge go sideways. Everyone remembers the incident between Todd Bertuzzi and Steve Moore. There’s no need to rehash it. But what led up to the incident was a war of words, the type that built up anticipation for a rematch between the two teams, as fans were eager to see what would happen.
“There's definitely a bounty on his head," said Brad May. "Clean hit or not, that's our best player, and you respond. It's going to be fun when we get him."
Perhaps nothing will come of the Oilers/Flames rematch. Maybe the coaches of the two teams will have Kassian and Tkachuk on their best behaviour.

Reactions: The Sweetness

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
From the article, this is stuff I've been saying for years. Glad to see the comments in press. I had the same analysis of the Bertuzzi/Moore situation. The NHL not only allows and empowers this, it grooms it.

It’s hard to avoid the thought that this was intentional. The NHL wants this bad blood, because bad blood sells tickets. The NHL wants people to tune into the game to see if Kassian will go after Tkachuk in some way, to see if some of that bad blood will be spilt on the ice.
Canucks fans have seen that type of revenge go sideways. Everyone remembers the incident between Todd Bertuzzi and Steve Moore. There’s no need to rehash it. But what led up to the incident was a war of words, the type that built up anticipation for a rematch between the two teams, as fans were eager to see what would happen.
“There's definitely a bounty on his head," said Brad May. "Clean hit or not, that's our best player, and you respond. It's going to be fun when we get him."
Perhaps nothing will come of the Oilers/Flames rematch. Maybe the coaches of the two teams will have Kassian and Tkachuk on their best behaviour.

I think you are right in the money making angle...but I think Bettman will assign two experienced NHL refs for this one and give them a stern warning to call everything so the game doesn't get out of hand. The hype and buildup is already a top story around the league and the game is still two weeks away. It'll wind up being the equivalent to people buying tickets to watch some fights but a hockey game broke out instead.

I'd love to see something happen, whether that's Nurse & Tkachuk or Kassian gets his go with him but it'll be broken up quickly before any punches are thrown. Bettman doesn't want this game to become a Jungle B game.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
DCup hunting
I think you are right in the money making angle...but I think Bettman will assign two experienced NHL refs for this one and give them a stern warning to call everything so the game doesn't get out of hand. The hype and buildup is already a top story around the league and the game is still two weeks away. It'll wind up being the equivalent to people buying tickets to watch some fights but a hockey game broke out instead.

I'd love to see something happen, whether that's Nurse & Tkachuk or Kassian gets his go with him but it'll be broken up quickly before any punches are thrown. Bettman doesn't want this game to become a Jungle B game.

Not sure if you remember last week but I was disgusted already in the NHL's allowing of Tkachuk antics that I didn't even want to watch the BOA in realtime. I didn't need the guaranteed aggravation of it. Its got to that point with me because I know what an advantage it is for the Flames for the NHL to just allow and reinforce the Tkachuk shit and it was all imo likely to occur.

As a fan I don't like to be manipulated, and I don't like the games to be rigged. The NHL allowing Tkachuk to infract in any way is rigging the results. Its saying that this player can do whatever he likes and he is untouchable. This is clearly giving one team an advantage it does not otherwise have.

The NHL already allowed the mayhem. They empowered it, they got it. The vast majority of respondents can't see how Tkachuk didn't get a double minor to a major on the first hit, with possible misconduct.

Anytime a player is held Tkachuk hears a dinner bell going off and immediately charges at that player and nails him in the head. This has happened so many times. That Tkachuk even refers to it as train tracks is saying a lot.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
I think I have the Flames fans on the main a little riled up. They have now gone to personal insults and compairissons of Tkachuk to Messier, Draisitl and even McD.
I love this so much.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

““We used to be worried about headhunting and major things like that," said Parros when he took over the Department of Player Safety. "Now we're worried about slashing and some more minor infractions, you might say. So the game's in a good place. There doesn't need to be a huge shake-up, a huge change in philosophy.””

So Parros admits that player safety and removing predatory and dangerous hits are not part of his and the NHL’s mandate. Wow that could become a quote that comes back to haunt him when the next lawsuit gets filed against the NHL.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Not sure if you remember last week but I was disgusted already in the NHL's allowing of Tkachuk antics that I didn't even want to watch the BOA in realtime. I didn't need the guaranteed aggravation of it. Its got to that point with me because I know what an advantage it is for the Flames for the NHL to just allow and reinforce the Tkachuk **** and it was all imo likely to occur.

As a fan I don't like to be manipulated, and I don't like the games to be rigged. The NHL allowing Tkachuk to infract in any way is rigging the results. Its saying that this player can do whatever he likes and he is untouchable. This is clearly giving one team an advantage it does not otherwise have.

The NHL already allowed the mayhem. They empowered it, they got it. The vast majority of respondents can't see how Tkachuk didn't get a double minor to a major on the first hit, with possible misconduct.

Anytime a player is held Tkachuk hears a dinner bell going off and immediately charges at that player and nails him in the head. This has happened so many times. That Tkachuk even refers to it as train tracks is saying a lot.

And Parros, as has been discussed almost everywhere, not only dropped the ball but punted it away in this gross mishandling of the situation. I'm just glad to hear the Oilers management group finally showed some backbone and went to the league. It wouldn't surprise me the BoG band together and ask for his resignation at some point in the not to distant future.

Emotive

Oct 6, 2017

I’ll believe it when I see it. Not sure why lucic would need to be responsible to fight Tkachuks battles for him anyway. If Lucic fights kassian next game it proves nothing other than that Kass isn’t afraid to stick up for himself and Tkachuk is still a coward, but this also opens up an opportunity for kassian to give them a taste of their own medicine and get lucic to take a stupid penalty as well.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I’ll believe it when I see it. Not sure why lucic would need to be responsible to fight Tkachuks battles for him anyway. If Lucic fights kassian next game it proves nothing other than that Kass isn’t afraid to stick up for himself and Tkachuk is still a coward, but this also opens up an opportunity for kassian to give them a taste of their own medicine and get lucic to take a stupid penalty as well.
Lucic has to say this publicly. He is making $6M a year and he has 4 goals and 10 points. If he does not play the role of tough big brother how does he justify his role?

Reactions: TB12 and Emotive

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
I love how the headline story on TSN for the Flames is "Flames moving on from Oilers". Did they just forget about getting shut out by the Habs? Or are the Oilers really that "rent free" in their heads?

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
In the words of Flames fans, why would a guy on pace for a 24 goal 52 point season waste his time on a useless plug who won't even score 10 goals or 20 points?

My favourite thing in all of this was how Calgary fans were going hard on the "Kassian cost your first place in the Pacific". Weird to wake up 3 days later and be sitting above the Flames in the standings.

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015

I read today that he's actually a star turtle. Its a real thing.

upload_2020-1-15_20-19-4.jpeg

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
No question. Parros is the biggest ****ing idiot running DPOS. The guy was a no talent goon who couldn’t play the game to save his life. He is the last person they should have in that job.
I will never understand the decisions made by the league as to the people they’ve put into that position. All the ex players that have had this job were unusual choices to say the least. It really looks like patronage appointments made to appease the union.

Reactions: TB12

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Nice, hopefully this gets some media coverage.

The whole rent free thing is getting old...and the fact they are renting a billboard now. It doesn't appear they truly believe the rent free statement.

Really awesome initiative to come out of this. Good for her! I know a prominent Calgarian who is matching this money raised.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Well if nothing else all this seems to have brought HFOil together. Imagine what it’s done for the actual team. Go Oil!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad