WJC: Kassian hit on Senkerik (UPD: Suspended 2 Games against NOR/SWE)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MrBoxOffice

Mar 6, 2008
Kingston/Halifax
Players should just skate around bent parallel to the ice with their chest so no matter what its a head hit.

Certainly seems like what is it coming to these days.

At what point does the onus stop falling on the player getting hit?

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
Canada will miss his physical presence against the Swedes. He's been one of the better forwards in terms of physical play and going to the dirty areas. He also plays on the #1 PP unit.

Let's see if Canada is able to overcome this.

imkinger

Oct 18, 2006
always-on-the-road.blogspot.com
Rule 540 - Checking to the Head and Neck Area – A player who directs a check or blow, with any part of his body, to the head and neck area of an opposing player or “drives” or “forces” the head of an opposing player into the protective glass or boards, shall be assessed at the discretion of the Referee, a minor and a misconduct penalty; a major and game misconduct penalty; or a match penalty. When injury occurs, a match penalty must be assessed.

That's straight from the IIHF rule book. You can complain that you don't like the rules that the IIHF enforces, but you can't say that check was 'clean' (within the rules).

There was clearly contact to the head (penalty) and there was a injury on the play (match penalty). I think the supplementary discipline was a bit much (the extra game), but you CAN'T SAY THAT WAS A CLEAN CHECK BY IIHF RULES (the only rule set that applies at the WJC).

Botta

Jul 12, 2010
The mere fact that was penalized is a joke. Having a one-game suspension (at minimum) tacked on is simply a farce and an embarrassment to this sport.

The worst part is that this is only the beginning. The NHL will adopt similar measures soon. We're seeing the death of contact in hockey, and I can't believe some of you are fine with it.

Well, i know some people`s opinion is that there should be less violence in hockey, if not more people will turnaway from the sport

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
Well, i know some people`s opinion is that there should be less violence in hockey, if not more people will turnaway from the sport

If some get there way no contact etc massive amount of people would turn away from the sport.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
That's straight from the IIHF rule book. You can complain that you don't like the rules that the IIHF enforces, but you can't say that check was 'clean' (within the rules).

There was clearly contact to the head (penalty) and there was a injury on the play (match penalty). I think the supplementary discipline was a bit much (the extra game), but you CAN'T SAY THAT WAS A CLEAN CHECK BY IIHF RULES (the only rule set that applies at the WJC).

Seems relatively easy to grasp, doesn't it? :)

I guess considering every hit to be clean and follow up ranting about how hockey's going down the drain and contact's being eliminated is just the hip thing these days.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
It looked like a "clean hit" by me, but it was heavy and a guy got hurt. End of the day, I don't mind them punishing things like this. As long as the standard is consistent. There really isn't any need to risk hurting a player with some of the really heavy hits like that, even if we as a viewing audience have been accustomed to enjoying the entertainment value of it. I'd be content if Kassian and other players thought twice about really taking a guy out in that fashion in the future, as a result of this kind of suspension example. It is still kids just starting their careers, after all.

wwvdw

Dec 22, 2009
Sweden
Rule 540 - Checking to the Head and Neck Area – A player who directs a check or blow, with any part of his body, to the head and neck area of an opposing player or “drives†or “forces†the head of an opposing player into the protective glass or boards, shall be assessed at the discretion of the Referee, a minor and a misconduct penalty; a major and game misconduct penalty; or a match penalty. When injury occurs, a match penalty must be assessed.

/thread.

This is IIHF hockey, not the NHL, not the CHL.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany

If some get there way no contact etc massive amount of people would turn away from the sport.

Contact doesn't equal violence. Hockey isn't hockey without contact. Contact is not being eliminated from hockey. There's no basis for that hypothesis.

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
Contact doesn't equal violence. Hockey isn't hockey without contact. Contact is not being eliminated from hockey. There's no basis for that hypothesis.

Well if you take hits like this one out yes you taking contact out of the game.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
/thread.

This is IIHF hockey, not the NHL, not the CHL.
It is easily argued that Kassian did not "direct" his hit to the head area. There was clearly some contact, but it was difficult to find that on slo-mo replays, the refs didn't see it live. The word "direct" automatically implies a subjective evaluation, and so it is fair game for people to come down on either side. But hardly anybody is arguing against the assessment of the match penalty anyway.

eli J

Claw Machine broke
Nov 14, 2010
Moncton, NB
As much as I HATE and DESPISE Pierre McGuire - and Bob McKenzie for that matter - I have to agree with the Master of Disguise... it's a ******** suspension. I feel terrible for the Czech player and he has my sympathies but this was the result of a physical game, not a malicious check. I'm not going to comment on Kassian's OHL suspension, I don't know the details and for all I know he deserved that one, but I think this was completely overblown. Not a big deal, he'll be back for our medal run, but it's frustrating.

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
No, you don't. Late hits to the head don't equal all contact in hockey. Due to the former part they were actually out of the game for a long time.

Yes it does if you say this hit should not be allowed then one by one hits will be removed.I don't support late hits but at the same time if you ban this type of hit where do it end do we just keep banning any type of hit.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Yes it does if you say this hit should not be allowed then one by one hits will be removed.
Why? There's no logical reason for that to happen to all hits because it was done with these. If that was a logical reason, contact would have been doomed the day they made rules like boarding, charging or interference (banning certain types of hits), which is a long time ago.

It's nothing more than a fatalistic belief. There's no actual reason for that, though.

I don't support late hits but at the same time if you ban this type of hit where do it end do we just keep banning any type of hit.
Do you play hockey? There's a reason certain types of hits are banned. There's a reason why you can't hit players into the boards or from behind or jumping through the air. It's not because they try to take contact out of the game. But if you have types of hits that end up with severe injuries a lot more often than your average hit, that's a problem. Nobody gains anything from severe injuries. The fans don't, and most certainly the players don't. So hits from behind got banned, for example. You don't have such a reason to ban your textbook open-ice hit to the chest or shoulder...

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
Why? There's no logical reason for that to happen to all hits because it was done with these. If that was a logical reason, contact would have been doomed the day they made rules like boarding, charging or interference, which is a long time ago.

It's nothing more than a fatalistic belief. There's no actual reason for that, though.

Do you play hockey? There's a reason certain types of hits are banned. There's a reason why you can't hit players into the boards or from behind or jumping through the air. It's not because they try to take contact out of the game. But if you have types of hits that end up with severe injuries a lot more often than your average hit, that's a problem. Nobody gains anything from severe injuries. The fans don't, and most certainly the players don't. So hits from behind got banned, for example. You don't have such a reason to ban your textbook open-ice hit to the chest or shoulder...

Not talking about hits from behind into the boards there awful and yes there is issues with them.As for head shots if its a clear head shot yes something needs to be done about that banning or limiting open ice hits is going down a very slippery slope.If the player last night did get up kassian gets nothing the growiing trend of making calls based on injurys is a big concern.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Okay I'm not here to argue the possession, but the player was 3 feet away. Just saying that he possessed the puck says absolutely nothing about how late the hit was. Was it late in my opinion, slightly, yes. But in a night where Marincin used the 4 second rule, Kassian's 1 second seems very borderline considering where his and Senkerik's path were heading.

I wasn't counting time of the lateness, rather the possession factor, meaning it was not a legal hit in that sense. Time is irrelevant when the target has no puck and his teammate has already passed the puck to someone else.

BigBadBread

Shi Shi Shawww
Dec 4, 2006
Rule 540 - Checking to the Head and Neck Area – A player who directs a check or blow, with any part of his body, to the head and neck area of an opposing player or “drives” or “forces” the head of an opposing player into the protective glass or boards, shall be assessed at the discretion of the Referee, a minor and a misconduct penalty; a major and game misconduct penalty; or a match penalty. When injury occurs, a match penalty must be assessed.

This. It was against IIHF rules so it had to be called.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Not talking about hits from behind into the boards there awful and yes there is issues with them.As for head shots if its a clear head shot yes something needs to be done about that banning or limiting open ice hits is going down a very slippery slope.If the player last night did get up kassian gets nothing the growiing trend of making calls based on injurys is a big concern.

Its written right into the IIHF rule book that says you give a match if the guy is hurt...there is no such rule in the CHL or NHL...

Every year its the same old thing, people get bent out of shape on here about how the game is officiated and called during this Tourny...you have to realize that the IIHF has some odd rules...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad