WJC: Kassian hit on Senkerik (UPD: Suspended 2 Games against NOR/SWE)

umwoz

Feb 28, 2010
Maybe? Check the video, another Czech player was already in possession of the puck when Kassian went for the hit. You can't get much later than that (other than Marincin).

Way to use an invalid measurement. You should talk about how far the puck traveled not the fact that a pass was already made to a Czech player that was 3 feet away from him, who barely possessed the puck at all, just chipped it ahead to the boards.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
It is always amazing how opinions can vary so greatly. Not quite the OJ trial but still puzzling how people are questioning a two game suspension here. I am Canadian and a fan of a physical game but hits to the head have to be dealt with harshly and swiftly. Frk's move although dirty and potentially painful is not the same level so those asking for 4 games need to re evaluate.

The hit on Leblanc after he scored was dirty and also deserved punishment - he was in a vulnerable position.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Way to use an invalid measurement. You should talk about how far the puck traveled not the fact that a pass was already made to a Czech player that was 3 feet away from him, who in fact never possessed the puck at all, just chipped it ahead to the boards.

That does count as a possession (and it was a little more than just a "chip"). So yes, it was very late.

umwoz

Feb 28, 2010
Perfectly reasonable suspension. Blind sided late hit that clips the head, no need for that.

People need stop this, it's not a blind side hit. His blind side was on the exact opposite side, the only reason he was blind to the hit was because he was looking down staring at his pass.

That does count as a possession (and it was a little more than just a "chip"). So yes, it was very late.

Okay I'm not here to argue the possession, but the player was 3 feet away. Just saying that he possessed the puck says absolutely nothing about how late the hit was. Was it late in my opinion, slightly, yes. But in a night where Marincin used the 4 second rule, Kassian's 1 second seems very borderline considering where his and Senkerik's path were heading.

NHLHammerbound*

These are kids playing, amateurs for the most part, and Kassian if he wanted to has no end of potential victims who are much smaller than him and haven't played in leagues where if you have your head down for a second will have someone ready to take it off as in North America. One of the IIHF's responsibilities is to ensure that the players are protected. Period. End of story.

Sorry but that's absurd Kassian wasn't head hunting. He wasn't looking for victims. He wasn't targeting the head. Much less trying to take anyone's head off as you SO UNFAIRLY imply. :shakehead He was just finishing his check, EXACTLY as taught. This is a high speed, contact sport played by BIG BOYZ and sometimes people get hurt, even when ( as in this case ) there was NO INTENT to injure... END OF STORY

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
It is always amazing how opinions can vary so greatly. Not quite the OJ trial but still puzzling how people are questioning a two game suspension here. I am Canadian and a fan of a physical game but hits to the head have to be dealt with harshly and swiftly. Frk's move although dirty and potentially painful is not the same level so those asking for 4 games need to re evaluate.

The hit on Leblanc after he scored was dirty and also deserved punishment - he was in a vulnerable position.

Maybe not 4 games but he should get 2 games for the spear.

29dryden29

Jul 4, 2010
London Ont
What a joke 2 games for a great hit chicken **** officials. Oh well we will just have to demolish the Wegians and then the Swedes to make a point.

Davebo*

Really? Please help me see it in better light. He targeted the head, it was blind-side and both his feet left the ground to make that hit. There was a reason he was given 20 game suspension.

I think a lot of people are viewing his CHL hit - where he did leave his feet, and thinking that video is the hit that occurred last evening. It's what I've come to expect from this site....

He did not leave his feet last evening.

umwoz

Feb 28, 2010
Never heard of finishing the check? That is the purpose. It happens every single hockey game in the NHL and in Europe.

Whether this was finishing the check or not(due to the borderline lateness) is the question. But to say that since a player doesn't have the puck, you are automatically intending to injure is an ignorant statement.

Last edited by a moderator:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Isn't that the point of any hit? To inflict punishment or intimidate.

At the end of the day the damage done was mostly due to the huge size difference between the players. Kassian is 4 inches taller and weighs 48lbs more than the Czech kid.

Kassian was hardly moving fast, he was pretty much gliding, when he turned to hit the Czech player. As Sabres fan I'm used to watching Kaleta flying into hits like a missle. I'm actually amazed at the damage done by the hit.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
typical IHF- out of touch

hit not suspendable,more then likely a reputation suspension

marouielli must have been influenced by dave branch,afterall marouelli works

for the ohl as a supervisor of officials

hit to head not intended,shoulder to chest intented

keep your head up and be aware who is on the ice

NHLHammerbound*

Our Kidz ARE taught to finish their checks. Euro Kidz are too. That's how the game is played at this level, like it or not ! Otherwise, if it was so blatantly illegal/ immoral as u imply. Why no interference call initially ? Indeed neither ref raised his hand. The penalty only came AFTER it appeared that Czech kid was hurt. Sans this, NO PENALTY woulda been assessed IMO

mooseOAK*

Never heard of finishing the check? That is the purpose. It happens every single hockey game in the NHL and in Europe.

Whether this was finishing the check or not(due to the borderline lateness) is the question. But to say that since a player doesn't have the puck, you are automatically intending to injure is an ignorant statement.

I should have worded it properly, that kind of hit. A player can finish their check with going high to the head area, can't they?

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I should have worded it properly, that kind of hit. A player can finish their check with going high to the head area, can't they?

So if someone 6'3" is hitting someone thats 5'11" they have to bend down into a squat position in order to hit them?

Davebo*

Players can enter the offensive zone with their head up, can't they?

And that wasn't a high hit by any stretch of your imagination. :shakehead

McBold

Jan 22, 2005
I think we are going to start seeing WJC-5'10", WJC-5'11", WJC-6'0", etc tournaments come into play next year.:sarcasm:

I don't like seeing players go out on stretchers, but I also don't think it warrants a suspension.

Smokies430

Nov 21, 2009
I was watching the game, wearing my team Canada jersey, and as soon as I saw the hit I thought like Maguire....shoulder to chest. But on the replays it was clear to me the top of his shoulder caught his chin (clear to me...not so clear to others obviously). However his intention was not to hit his chin. If the Czech player had been able to just skate away would there have even been a penalty? I doubt it. One game was more than sufficient

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad