WJC: Kassian hit on Senkerik (UPD: Suspended 2 Games against NOR/SWE)

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Is there really not a thread on this, or am I missing the obvious?

As a Canadian (and Team Canada fan) I feel confident that I can say that that was a DIRTY hit --looks like head targeting to me to a guy who had lost the puck.

I've watched it at 1/4 speed and 1/15th speed from different angels (Hi-Def) and he certainly leaves his feet a little to make the hit as well. From one angle it looked like he hit shoulder first but from behind it shows the head taking about 90% of the blow.

I'd give Kassian a suspension as well for sure.

cenas*

senkerik.jpg

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
Is there really not a thread on this, or am I missing the obvious?

As a Canadian (and Team Canada fan) I feel confident that I can say that that was a DIRTY hit --looks like head targeting to me to a guy who had lost the puck.

I've watched it at 1/4 speed and 1/15th speed from different angels (Hi-Def) and he certainly leaves his feet a little to make the hit as well. From one angle it looked like he hit shoulder first but from behind it shows the head taking about 90% of the blow.

I'd give Kassian a suspension as well for sure.

It was a bad hit and i hope the kid is ok that said he likely will get a suspension but frk will aslo likely get one as well.

13 others

Apr 18, 2007
I've watched it a few times and it looks like no contact to the head was made but in a snapshot it shows he got his jaw a bit. Honestly, It seems like contact to the jaw was inevitable because he was shorter. He will be suspended for the Norway game so I couldn't care less.

Boom King

Dec 11, 2010
Kassian already gets a 1 game automatic suspension due to his match penalty and as for any subsequent suspensions, knowing the IIHF, there's probably going to be another 1 game suspension. It doesn't even have to be a hit to the head in IIHF, it can just be around the general area. The initial replays I saw on TSN didn't seem there was head contact but his shoulder definitely was in the area which may be enough for a suspension.

Dogbert*

The mere fact that was penalized is a joke. Having a one-game suspension (at minimum) tacked on is simply a farce and an embarrassment to this sport.

The worst part is that this is only the beginning. The NHL will adopt similar measures soon. We're seeing the death of contact in hockey, and I can't believe some of you are fine with it.

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
The mere fact that was penalized is a joke. Having a one-game suspension (at minimum) tacked on is simply a farce and an embarrassment to this sport.

The worst part is that this is only the beginning. The NHL will adopt similar measures soon. We're seeing the death of contact in hockey, and I can't believe some of you are fine with it.

The player getting hurt was bad i did not think the hit was as bad as some are making it out to be.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
My thoughts on this was that I felt the hit was not a hit to the head however it was late and a late hit against a defenseless foe is nearly as bad as a hit to the head.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
Definitely not a headshot. Could've been called interference however. The guy got rid of the puck a few seconds beforehand.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
My thoughts on this was that I felt the hit was not a hit to the head however it was late and a late hit against a defenseless foe is nearly as bad as a hit to the head.

I agree it was not a head shot but it was big time interference which I didn't care for.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I agree with the 5 minutes and a game for the hit. For the refs in real time it was really close and really hard to tell. I still can't really tell after watching the replay over and over. However I don't understand the match penalty. It results in an automatic 1 game suspension, I feel it would be better to let the committee meet and decide on any suspension tonight, then making it automatic because it was so close.

Or was the match penalty automatically assessed because of the 5 and a game?

cenas*

Definitely not a headshot. Could've been called interference however. The guy got rid of the puck a few seconds beforehand.

Giving you the benefit of doubt and I'll post this again..

senkerik.jpg

That is Kassian's shoulder hitting Senkeriks head. As in, a hit to the head.

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
I agree with the 5 minutes and a game for the hit. For the refs in real time it was really close and really hard to tell. I still can't really tell after watching the replay over and over. However I don't understand the match penalty. It results in an automatic 1 game suspension, I feel it would be better to let the committee meet and decide on any suspension tonight, then making it automatic because it was so close.

Or was the match penalty automatically assessed because of the 5 and a game?

The thing is they handed out the 5 minute because he was hurt that is why so many are upset.

BobDobolina

Jan 11, 2010
NYC
Late and to the head. That's a misconduct in IIHF games, no news there. He'll miss the game against the incredibly strong Norwegian powerhouse.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
If anything I think it was interference for being late and it wasn't that late. It's another case of a player having his head down and the hitter gets blamed. When you watch the hit, Kassian didn't launch at all, he pretty much just stood his ground and the Czech player bounced off him.

ILuvLucic*

senkerik.jpg

That picture proves nothing. Kassian's shoulder hits the shoulder, that we know. But as for the head, you'd need to have a picture from a side angle. I'm with Macguire, the head snapped back due to whiplash.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

senkerik.jpg

from the angle shown it appears his shoulder is touching his head, however if you turned the camera you might notice a gap there and you might not, it's hard to tell, that picture definately doesn't prove anything, if anything it makes it less clear

cenas*

Homerism doesn't waver even in the face of evidence. This could be a case study..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad