Proposal: Kasperi Kapanen for Brandon Montour (Keep it civil)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
What he said. I've never been that impressed with Kapanen... not writing him off or anything, but I wouldn't rank him in the same place as Montour who has looked like the real deal right out of the gate.

Kapanen had a very good rookie season in the AHL as a teenager.

What else did you expect from him?

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
After Vatanen's extension, I thought it made Montour somewhat expendable. If the plan was to keep all three of Fowler, Vatanen, and Lindholm, I'd say he's definitely tradable. However, since we're considering moving Fowler, and at this point, it's almost certain to happen; it strongly decreases the availability of Montour IMO. That said, I think we only trade him for or part of a package for a better player. Not for a few lesser assets.

jboknows

Feb 9, 2010
Not saying this deal makes sense for Anaheim, but...

it surprises me that people on here have such strong (negative) opinions on Kapanen already. I mean he put up respectable numbers in his 19-year old rookie year in the AHL and in every game I saw him play I always thought to myself that he has a lot of skill and untapped potential. Will he get there? Maybe not, but it seems premature to say he's not a potential top-6 guy in the future. I'm excited to see how this season goes - I expect a big increase in production as he takes on a larger role in the offense.

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
Kapanen still has potential to be a skilled top 6 forward.

Id do a one for one.

Oct 18, 2011

it surprises me that people on here have such strong (negative) opinions on Kapanen already. I mean he put up respectable numbers in his 19-year old rookie year in the AHL and in every game I saw him play I always thought to myself that he has a lot of skill and untapped potential. Will he get there? Maybe not, but it seems premature to say he's not a potential top-6 guy in the future. I'm excited to see how this season goes - I expect a big increase in production as he takes on a larger role in the offense.

It's not a negative opinion on Kapanen to call Montour the better prospect. Montour came in his first year and was first team all AHL, which means he almost won AHL Dman of the year. He is older yes, but he also went from lower tier hockey, then dominated the NCAA for the short time he was there, then was immediately great against men in the pro's

lindholmie

Feb 22, 2015
hell nah. young RHD dmen are worth so much. especially one that has the potential to be ghost lite

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Not really related to this thread...but does Montour need to be protected for expansion? Doesn't he have two pro seasons?

Avs44

May 16, 2011
He had 1 year of service this last season and he will accumulate another this year, at the time of the expansion draft, he will have played 2 pro seasons.

The 2014-15 season would have to count as a pro season for him to have to have to be protected. Next season will NOT count, because the expansion draft will take place before July 1st. It's why players like Ehlers will not have to be protected. If a player has not already accumulated two pro years by now, they're exempt.

ijuka

May 14, 2016

One is a winger, one is a RHD with absurd numbers. Which do you think is worth more, even if the players were just as good?

Raymoondo

Leafs Cup 2021
Apr 9, 2013
Toronto
One is a winger, one is a RHD with absurd numbers. Which do you think is worth more, even if the players were just as good?

He never said he was worth Montour?
Pretty sure he's responding to those people that said Kapanen is way too overhyped or is just meh.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
This. He really is far and away better. He has better output as a defenseman in the AHL for one. Kasperi Kapanen was overrated before coming to Toronto, now it's just silly.

At this point, it really doesn't look all that likely he will become a top-6 in his career. Anyone who's watched him in the AHL would concur.
Um what? Don't act like you watch the AHL you're clueless.

Kapanen put up just shy of .6PPG as a teenage rookie on a team with insane winger depth. He struggled to adjust in the first half but had a very strong finish to the season after his WJC golden goal. He was arguably the best player for the Marlies in the playoffs, and why don't you take a look at that roster. He single handily pushed them over the top against Albany.

Even if he spent 2 more years in the AHL he would be only 21, and your comment would look just as stupid as it does now.

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
Um what? Don't act like you watch the AHL you're clueless.

Kapanen put up just shy of .6PPG as a teenage rookie on a team with insane winger depth. He struggled to adjust in the first half but had a very strong finish to the season after his WJC golden goal. He was arguably the best player for the Marlies in the playoffs, and why don't you take a look at that roster. He single handily pushed them over the top against Albany.

Even if he spent 2 more years in the AHL he would be only 21, and your comment would look just as stupid as it does now.

Ducks have Noesen that has put similar PPG since entering the league. How likely is him turning into a top 6 player now. Rantanen and Nylander doubled Kapanen's pace, and even Rantanen has question marks on his top six upside.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
People are pretty rough on Kapanen in here.

He was the youngest player in the entire AHL last year, not really fair to compare him to a prospect 2.5 years older than him.

Ultimately I see him being a Richard Zednik type of player. Talented but streaky.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Ducks have Noesen that has put similar PPG since entering the league. How likely is him turning into a top 6 player now. Rantanen and Nylander doubled Kapanen's pace, and even Rantanen has question marks on his top six upside.

All prospects have question marks obviously, but do you honestly think Rantanen, who is consistently ranked as a top 15 prospect in the NHL has anything lower than 1st line upside? He just plainly wouldn't be ranked there, or score at the 3rd best rate of all time as a 19 year old AHL'er, if that were true. I'm a leaf fan, no bias towards Rantanen

Also, Noesen was 21 turning 22 when he entered the AHL for a full season, Kapanen just turned 20. The argument here isn't that Kapanen's production means he's a potential top 6 NHL'er, its that he's too young and played on too deep of a team to judge him with accuracy yet.

Currysux*

Kapanen isnt Nylander or Rantanen, why does he have to be as good as him? Anyone thats watched Kapane would know his main issue is consistency. A lot of times he plays like a guy you would pick top 10 and other times he looks like a guy who you would pick in the third round. His NHL stint was a good example of that. You see him dangle the Lightning but then he would turn the puck over and cause a goal against. He will definitely be a third liner, he has the speed and defensive game will make him a third liner its how effective offensive thant will determine whether or not he will be a star or not.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Seriously? Think about what you're saying.

Besides, Kapanen has some of the most impressive raw skill of any prospect out there. He's the best skater in the organization and has a borderline elite shot/puckhandling skills. He will get his chance this season as the Marlies go-to-forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad