Kasperi Kapanen convicted of aggravated DUI in Finland; fined 108 700€)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
News just broken by the Finnish state broadcasting company: NHL-jääkiekkoilija Kasperi Kapasta epäillään törkeästä rattijuopumuksesta

Court case was filed 23rd of August, and the case will be dealt with in court in February 2024.

Finnish Criminal code:
Section 4 (1198/2002)
Driving while seriously intoxicated

If, in driving while intoxicated,

1) the blood alcohol level of the perpetrator is at least 1.2 per mille or his or her exhalation
contains at least 0.53 milligrams of alcohol per litre of air, or

2) the ability of the perpetrator to perform as required by the task is significantly impaired, or

3) the perpetrator has used an intoxicating substance other than alcohol or such a substance
together with alcohol so that his or her ability to perform as required by the task is significantly
impaired

and the circumstances are such that the offence is conducive to endangering the safety of another person, the perpetrator shall be sentenced for driving while seriously intoxicated to at least 60 unit fines or to imprisonment for at most two years.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Toonces-the-driving-cat GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
What an idiot. Very frustrating guy in general. He has the tools to being a very good player but he lacks the drive and then he does stupid stuff outside of the rink. I don't think his father had as good tools but he had better attitude and drive, which is why he was able to succeed in the NHL. Somehow that part hasn't gone from father to son.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
You would imagine him being able to afford a taxi. Now this will cost him quite a bit more. Finland has an income based daily fine system. So let's say he gets the law minimum of 60 day fines, and his yearly income this year after taxes 1,65 million dollars. That would mean he gets a fine of 130 000 euros.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
For anyone wondering, 0.53 milligrams of alcohol per litre of air roughly translates to 0.12 blood-alcohol level. This is just to provide context, not to be like "it's not a big deal."

Levels are indeed much stricter in Europe in terms of what gets classified as what. When I was in Slovakia we never once got in the car even after one beer for this very reason.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
What an idiot. Very frustrating guy in general. He has the tools to being a very good player but he lacks the drive and then he does stupid stuff outside of the rink. I don't think his father had as good tools but he had better attitude and drive, which is why he was able to succeed in the NHL. Somehow that part hasn't gone from father to son.

Well..

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
For anyone wondering, 0.53 milligrams of alcohol per litre of air roughly translates to 0.12 blood-alcohol level. This is just to provide context, not to be like "it's not a big deal."

Levels are indeed much stricter in Europe in terms of what gets classified as what. When I was in Slovakia we never once got in the car even after one beer for this very reason.

A lot of those countries seem way too harsh on DUI. Sebastian Aho (islanders) was charged with one for drinking the day before and blew a .03.

That’s nuts…

These guys know this I’m sure it’s pounded into their heads by agents/family to be extremely cautious when going back home

But still

I guess when your crime rate is very low you need to generate revenue some way.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreChamps
Jul 13, 2013
A lot of those countries seem way too harsh on DUI. Sebastian Aho (islanders) was charged with one for drinking the day before and blew a .03.

That’s nuts…

These guys know this I’m sure it’s pounded into their heads by agents/family to be extremely cautious when going back home

But still

TBF we don't know what he blew, but yeah I don't know if anyone will care if it comes out that he blew a 0.03 or something comically low like Aho.

And I do agree that everyone should know their local laws but like Aho was drunk and slept it off and blew a 0.03 the next day after sleeping it off, not sure anyone cared in Long Island.

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place

That’s nuts…

But still

Crime doesn’t generate revenue. The country or municipality has to pay for the police, the jail and its overhead, the people who work in the jail, the court and its overhead, the lawyers and judges, as well as the administrators who oversee it all. The fine imposed does not cover the costs incurred.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
TBF we don't know what he blew, but yeah I don't know if anyone will care if it comes out that he blew a 0.03 or something comically low like Aho.

And I do agree that everyone should know their local laws but like Aho was drunk and slept it off and blew a 0.03 the next day after sleeping it off, not sure anyone cared in Long Island.
He blew over 0.12, because he's charged with aggravated DUI. That's quite a lot of alcohol.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015

That’s nuts…

But still

Taxes probably do a better job. I’m pretty sure it’s more about safety and keeping the roads as sober as possible. I’d imagine someone who already sucks at driving sober could get way worse with even one beer in them.

Anyways I love the fines scaling with pay (for this but also other driving stuff right? Speeding too?). What does a multi millionaire care about a $500 or equivalent fine

BigEezyE22

Continuing to not support HF.
Feb 2, 2007
Jersey

That’s nuts…

But still

It was a metric.03 so I think that translates to a .085 or something.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

Jun 25, 2021

In Slovakia it is easy to bribe cops though. So it is not exactly as zero tolerance to drinking and driving as it seems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad