Value of: Kaprizov this off-season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ctmagic

Jan 15, 2013
Let’s keep our superstar and waste him instead!
We could have 10 plus years to build around Kap. What more do you want? You trade and hope for what, one of the pieces to develop into a Kaprizov type player? Then what, trade that guy for some new prospects too? ROFL, clown take right there.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I think the part that isn't talked about enough is, does Kaprizov even want to extend here?

Everyone is so caught up in "why would the Wild want to trade him", the answer is "because the alternative might be to lose him for nothing."

Reactions: Saga of the Elk

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
No matter what it won't turn out well for the Wild. Trading Kaprizov would be an act of altruism.

It's been like this forever... half-way decent team, dumb-ass move to improve them, half-way not-so-decent, dumb-ass move to improve them, half-way decent team....

they should change the logo to Benoit Pouliot's face

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
if he leaves he leaves but regardless a trade would be the end of BG. There's no reasonable scenario that sees Kaprizov traded and the Wild becoming a better team IMO. In the present, I mean, where it counts for the GM.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
if he leaves he leaves but regardless a trade would be the end of BG. There's no reasonable scenario that sees Kaprizov traded and the Wild becoming a better team IMO. In the present, I mean, where it counts for the GM.

If Kaprizov walks for nothing it's the end for Guerin too.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
If Kaprizov walks for nothing it's the end for Guerin too.
yes of course. i've already said if we don't improve dramatically once the cap handcuffs are off he's a gonner. BG wouldn't make it a week past a trade whereas he'd at least get to stick around for the playoff exit in Kaprizov's last year.
Only way i'd see it working for Guerin is if Kaprizov personally pissed off Leipold somehow. Otherwise the only thing I can think of that would let him have another kick at the can would be if there was a more lateral trade where we maybe added to Kaprizov for a superior player though that's the least likely thing to happen.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
yes of course. i've already said if we don't improve dramatically once the cap handcuffs are off he's a gonner. BG wouldn't make it a week past a trade whereas he'd at least get to stick around for the playoff exit in Kaprizov's last year.
Only way i'd see it working for Guerin is if Kaprizov personally pissed off Leipold somehow. Otherwise the only thing I can think of that would let him have another kick at the can would be if there was a more lateral trade where we maybe added to Kaprizov for a superior player though that's the least likely thing to happen.

I was thinking it might be more like a Tkachuk for Huberdeau+ deal if anything, where Kaprizov is Tkachuk.

To me it's more defensible if he could manage to swing a deal like Kaprizov for Cozens+. You're not getting the better player and you probably lose that deal on the ice, but at least you're getting a good young player that can still contribute and grow with the rest of the core.

If Kaprizov wants to leave there's nothing Guerin can really do about that short of building a time machine and going back and building a better team during these years. If I'm an owner I'd rather have a GM who can be proactive in those types of situations so we don't have another Gaborik situation or Gaudreau situation.

Reactions: rynryn

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
I was thinking it might be more like a Tkachuk for Huberdeau+ deal if anything, where Kaprizov is Tkachuk.

To me it's more defensible if he could manage to swing a deal like Kaprizov for Cozens+. You're not getting the better player and you probably lose that deal on the ice, but at least you're getting a good young player that can still contribute and grow with the rest of the core.

If Kaprizov wants to leave there's nothing Guerin can really do about that short of building a time machine and going back and building a better team during these years. If I'm an owner I'd rather have a GM who can be proactive in those types of situations so we don't have another Gaborik situation or Gaudreau situation.
it's all reasonable and a little unfair for the GM but if our Russian wants to leave I think it's more about where he wants to live or whatever than how he feels the team is doing or being built. Or at least that might be enough of a consideration to make it worth a million or two if we throw some of those crazy numbers at him ($17m?!) and LA or NYR want to give him $14m. Provided they're still playoff teams as well.

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
I think what he's saying is that maybe it could work out like trading O'Reilly and Eichel did for Buffalo. It probably doesn't work out well very often, but keeping either guy likely wouldn't have been as good for Buffalo. Simply brushing it off as a bad idea is ignoring recent precedent.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Odd question but would Anaheim make sense? McTavish or Zegras for Kaprizov...something structured around that.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
I think what he's saying is that maybe it could work out like trading O'Reilly and Eichel did for Buffalo. It probably doesn't work out well very often, but keeping either guy likely wouldn't have been as good for Buffalo. Simply brushing it off as a bad idea is ignoring recent precedent.
i understand, but my feeling is--perhaps unfairly--you have to work a little harder to figure out Russian's motivations and other prospective GMs are going to be a little more wary as well. Eichel situation was full of drama iirc. I don't know that we'd get as good a return if the team we are trading with was uncertain about their chances of locking Kaprizov down.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
i understand, but my feeling is--perhaps unfairly--you have to work a little harder to figure out Russian's motivations and other prospective GMs are going to be a little more wary as well. Eichel situation was full of drama iirc. I don't know that we'd get as good a return if the team we are trading with was uncertain about their chances of locking Kaprizov down.

It's not like he's going to bolt back to Russia. He's here now, he's gonna stay here. His motivations aren't any different from any other player here. Being Russian has nothing to do with this situation. This is just a guy who's going to be a UFA in 3 years and has a full NMC for the last two of them. He wants money, he wants to go a place he'd like to live, he wants to win.

But Kaprizov should return less because he's got 2 years as opposed to Eichel's four.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
I think the part that isn't talked about enough is, does Kaprizov even want to extend here?

Everyone is so caught up in "why would the Wild want to trade him", the answer is "because the alternative might be to lose him for nothing."
I think there is no evidence to suggest one way or the other therefore it doesn't really matter. So people shouldn't dwell on this too much and treat this as a nice brain exercise. I think it's a interesting question and kind of curious what other people think he's valued that.

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
Anything less than a sign and trade would be underwhelming. Could maybe down the road see a team like the Canes looking for a splash to put them over the top, much like Eichel may have done for Vegas.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I think there is no evidence to suggest one way or the other therefore it doesn't really matter. So people shouldn't dwell on this too much and treat this as a nice brain exercise. I think it's a interesting question and kind of curious what other people think he's valued that.

That's pretty much my point, and why I've wanted to have this conversation. But it seems most people jump straight to "why would the Wild trade him? they wouldn't win that trade". I know they wouldn't win it, and I know they don't want to trade him, but that's not really the point here.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
If Detroit picks in the top 10: 1st rounder + Kasper/Danielson + something else.

If Detroit picks in the teens: 1st rounder + Kasper + Danielson.

Snotbubbles

Oct 25, 2007
Flyers send Couturier Sanheim and Farabee

Wouldn't it just make sense to pay Kaprizov? Couturier has no value, he's missed nearly 2 years and has a cap hit of 7.75M until 2030. He's going to be a LTIR guy for the last 4-5 years of his contract.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
If Detroit picks in the top 10: 1st rounder + Kasper/Danielson + something else.

If Detroit picks in the teens: 1st rounder + Kasper + Danielson.
Detroit drafted Kasper and Danielson because they’re desperate for high end centers beyond Larkin.

I guess they might move one is if they somehow win the lottery and get Celebrini. If that doesn’t happen, and it likely won’t, they’re looking for future centers too.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
It's not like he's going to bolt back to Russia. He's here now, he's gonna stay here. His motivations aren't any different from any other player here. Being Russian has nothing to do with this situation. This is just a guy who's going to be a UFA in 3 years and has a full NMC for the last two of them. He wants money, he wants to go a place he'd like to live, he wants to win.

But Kaprizov should return less because he's got 2 years as opposed to Eichel's four.
There have been a few where they only wanted to play in certain cities. cool factor of living in NY or LA or florida or whatever while they're in the States--the places Europeans know about. IIRC Panarin wasn't going to play anywhere but one of the coasts after Chicago (for example). Again, not be all of the decision but I find it reasonable to wonder after how hard it was to get him over here in the first place. (no matter those reasons). healthy paranoia.

I don't mind the thought exercise--just way more on the doom and gloom than hope side of things. Usually more fun to imagine prying a top player away from someone else than figure out how to scramble for what we could get. first, Kaprizov, Wallstedt for Draisaitl.

Last edited:

Realm

Jun 5, 2005
Overpaying Kaprisov would have been no problem had they not made the stupid decision to lock up Foligno for 4 years X 4. That contract will be awful when Kaprisov deal is up, it would have been nice to have that extra $3 million to spend on him, than a 36, 37 year old injured broken down banger in 3-5 years. Could have used a minimum $1 million dollar 23 year old banger at that point instead of a 35+ year old Foligno. Those are the contracts that make you lose top end talent.

roon

Mar 1, 2012
Minnesota
We could have 10 plus years to build around Kap. What more do you want? You trade and hope for what, one of the pieces to develop into a Kaprizov type player? Then what, trade that guy for some new prospects too? ROFL, clown take right there.

I'm not hoping for anyone to develop into a Kaprizov type player. I would however prefer a scenario in which instead of having 1 Superstar we have 3 young stars that can contribute more to the team than 1 guy eating up 15-17 million of the cap.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
No matter what it won't turn out well for the Wild. Trading Kaprizov would be an act of altruism.

It's been like this forever... half-way decent team, dumb-ass move to improve them, half-way not-so-decent, dumb-ass move to improve them, half-way decent team....

they should change the logo to Benoit Pouliot's face
I don't think that's fair, Benoit was too skilled and not gritty enough. It should be an AI generated face with the datapoints of Stephane Veilleux, Pascal Dupuis, Marcus Foligno, Freddy Gaudreau and, everyone's favorite color guy, Wes Walz.

We'll somehow need to work a star and a river in there, so people get surprised when it's pointed out to them that there's a mural within their faces.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad