Value of: Kaprizov this off-season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I would think you could pry Cozens out of Buffalo for Kaprizov. He is projecting to be a 1C signed long term.

Kaprizov will skate circles around Jack. Eichel does well when there are other weapons on the ice to take the focus off him. Kaprizov does well despite being the only weapon on the ice.

I'm so confused by your take that Kaprizov is so much better than Jake Eichel, but you should trade him for Cozens that I'm at a loss of words.

roon

Mar 1, 2012
Minnesota
I'm so confused by your take that Kaprizov is so much better than Jake Eichel, but you should trade him for Cozens that I'm at a loss of words.

I was asked for an example of a young 1C that someone would trade for Kap. Cozens is 22 and put up 68 points on a shit Buffalo team, which for the record is not far off from what Eichel was doing on that team. He is being paid 7.1 million a year long term and would instantly upgrade our middle. Would I trade Kap for Cozens straight up? No - but Cozens could be had for sure.

The Wild aren't trading Kaprizov for Dylan Cozens lol
Straight up - of course not. However - Buffalo is a trading partner you look hard at....lots of young talent and draft picks there.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
I was asked for an example of a young 1C that someone would trade for Kap. Cozens is 22 and put up 68 points on a shit Buffalo team, which for the record is not far off from what Eichel was doing on that team. He is being paid 7.1 million a year long term and would instantly upgrade our middle. Would I trade Kap for Cozens straight up? No - but Cozens could be had for sure.

Straight up - of course not. However - Buffalo is a trading partner you look hard at....lots of young talent and draft picks there.

Buffalo was 3rd in scoring last year when Cozens did that.

Eichel's Buffalo teams finished 21st at best when he was there.

I'm not sure Cozens is even a better center than JEE.

roon

Mar 1, 2012
Minnesota
Buffalo was 3rd in scoring last year when Cozens did that.

Eichel's Buffalo teams finished 21st at best when he was there.

Just further makes my point - Eichel isn't someone that can carry a team on his own...Kaprizov is.

That doesn't mean Cozens is either - it just means that trading Kaprizov for Cozens and other pieces to further build the overall talent level on the team is worth considering. Once you hit the playoff's and defense tightens up - that one guy creating plays doesn't cut it anymore. Which is why it doesnt make sense to handcuff yourself to Kaprizov if it means you cant afford a supporting cast around him.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Just further makes my point - Eichel isn't someone that can carry a team on his own...Kaprizov is.

That doesn't mean Cozens is either - it just means that trading Kaprizov for Cozens and other pieces to further build the overall talent level on the team is worth considering. Once you hit the playoff's and defense tightens up - that one guy creating plays doesn't cut it anymore. Which is why it doesnt make sense to handcuff yourself to Kaprizov if it means you cant afford a supporting cast around him.

Is Kaprizov carrying the Minnesota Wild on his own?

Seems a little bit of a stretch. If Eichel had the defensive group that Kaprizov had and the forward depth the Wild have, I think he would've been fine in Buffalo.

It ain't like Vegas was some line-up of stone cold killers last year.

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
If you can keep Kaprizov, you do it. Why would you rather have two great players versus one elite player?

Who wins championships without Kaprizov level talent?
Teams that manage the cap around their stars like Tampa. We'll put you down for the "blank check" approach. I'm not even saying you're wrong, I probably even agree. But giving Kaprizov a 'Joe Mauer' deal to stay has risks too.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Teams that manage the cap around their stars like Tampa. We'll put you down for the "blank check" approach. I'm not even saying you're wrong, I probably even agree. But giving Kaprizov a 'Joe Mauer' deal to stay has risks too.

Tampa has never managed the cap around their stars. Their stars have all gotten significant cap and term..

Tampa’s entire model during their championship years was built around going dirt cheap at bottom six and bottom pairing D.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
They will probably want Michkov though...

Michkov wouldn't be involved, but Couturier and Sanheim don't move the needle. Farabee would be a good choice for the "young NHL player" part of the return though

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
With Parise/Suter on the books for 2 more years at a high cap hit, it's almost impossible for the Wild to be super competitive. After that, they only have 1 year left of Kaprizov before he asks for huge long-term money as a 29yr old in July 2026.

For that reason, I can see the logic in looking ahead and questioning if he should be traded for top-dollar sooner rather than later.

That said - I think it highlights why signing him to a 5yr deal was a mistake. The term of the deal aligns very poorly with the Wild's path to success.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
No thanks on the basket full of maybe. Rather pay Kirill than hope one of the assets we get back turn out to be either a top end C or gamebreaker. Now that we have one of those i couldn't stomach going to games with a bunch of very good players and zero hope.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Would give up a lot from the Habs but they'd need a goalie immediately as well to make it not a waste. Minny should do whatever they can to keep him long term

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
Tampa has never managed the cap around their stars. Their stars have all gotten significant cap and term..

Tampa’s entire model during their championship years was built around going dirt cheap at bottom six and bottom pairing D.
Not convinced you know what managed means but ok.

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
He’s 26 now but with KHL years until age 23 compared to playing in the NHL grind those are much lighter miles. Unless he suddenly gets injury prone (which would surprise me given his fitness levels and history) anyone would be so lucky to sign him to an 8-year deal at age 28.

Pablo El Perro

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
Kaprizov is great, but that blue chip 1C isn't coming back without having baggage. Just enjoy the player you have.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Well - Only Foligno got a 4 year deal. Hartman expires this year and freddy is signed for 2.1 mil and can play 3rd/4th line minutes for that money.

What good is having the most talented player in franchise history if you cant surround him with enough talent to get the job done?

Lets say we have 20 million in Cap space after the buyouts drop off and we get rid of zucc/hartman. Kap will be asking for atleast 4-5 mil of that space in addition to what he makes now. You have 16 million to go out and get a 1C in FA where you will overpay. You also have Faber and Wallstedt deals to think about etc.

My fear is that we get out of "Cap Hell" and we do the exact same thing we have always done - run a mediocre lineup, get bounced in the first round and draft around 20-24 where we can hope to get another middle six potential forward.

I'm not looking for anyone to be happy about it. People generally aren't happy to take medicine that tastes terrible even though its good for their long term health.
Lol, its just not a good argument bro. If you think offloading Kaprizov for a load of magic beans is going to magically make your franchise better “in the long run” by all means keep thinking it. Reality just doesn’t work that way. The franchise will be set back infinitely worse if they let Kaprizov go in a trade, no amount of assets in return is worth that.

By all means, become the GM of the Wild and give the rest of us in the Central easy dubs on your club.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Not convinced you know what managed means but ok

All of the Tampa stars got huge deals and huge term?

Vasi
Kuch
Hedman
Stamkos

Who did they lowball or trade?

Kucherov who is a comparable forward to Kaprizov signed for 9.5 million which is less than Kaprizov got prior to his Hart, Art Ross, Pearson year. He was 7th in terms of forward contracts when he signed.

Vasi signed for 9.5 million after winning a Vezina. Was that a cheap deal for a goaltender? He was the third most paid goaltender in the league at the time.

Hedman's contract made him the 3rd most paid defenseman. At the time he had never been a Norris finalist.

Stamkos is the only "cheap deal" that they got out of their core and it was largely because he chose to re-sign with a contender versus trying to go to UFA. Even then. He was the 7th most paid forward. It was also largely because his play dipped for three consecutive years where he was the 34th most productive player by points and 14th by P/PG.

Kaprizov is 12th in production and 13th by P/PG.

Show me how these players were "managed". They got huge term and huge cap. Tampa paid their stars.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad