Value of: Kaprizov this off-season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

roon

Mar 1, 2012
Minnesota
The Wild need a lot of help up and down their lineup. Sure our prospect pool is decent - but its full of middle six talent...

Kaprizov is going to demand a big payday and I simply don't feel like paying a 28 year old winger 13 million a year for 7/8 years is in the best interests of this club.

So - what is your teams best offer? Looking for young blue chip 1st line C's or draft picks. Can be Kaprizov plus for the right deal obviously, but we simply need to move on from the Foligno's/Hartmans/Freddy G's of the world taking up more than 4th line minutes if we are ever going to be anything but a 1st round exit.

I'm sure other Wild fans will come in telling me I'm wrong or out of my mind. Realistically though trading him is our best chance at truly getting young cost controlled top line talent that can change this franchise in my opinion.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
The Wild need a lot of help up and down their lineup. Sure our prospect pool is decent - but its full of middle six talent...

Kaprizov is going to demand a big payday and I simply don't feel like paying a 28 year old winger 13 million a year for 7/8 years is in the best interests of this club.

So - what is your teams best offer? Looking for young blue chip 1st line C's or draft picks. Can be Kaprizov plus for the right deal obviously, but we simply need to move on from the Foligno's/Hartmans/Freddy G's of the world taking up more than 4th line minutes if we are ever going to be anything but a 1st round exit.

I'm sure other Wild fans will come in telling me I'm wrong or out of my mind. Realistically though trading him is our best chance at truly getting young cost controlled top line talent that can change this franchise in my opinion.
You’re wrong or out of your mind!

Have it and I will just put this on ignore. I don’t think anything productive would come from it personally, you don’t theoretically trade a player like that and have two happy parties.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
the wild are hand-cuffed with the buyout penalties for parise and suter for two more seasons. so far they have performed high above (my) expectations with nearly 15m of dead cap. if guerin has a competitive roster again this season i would stick it out with kaprizov. his last contract year the wild finally have opportunities to really invest into their roster.

roon

Mar 1, 2012
Minnesota
First off, I don't think offloading the most talented player in franchise history is in the best interests of the club. Secondly, you don't move on from the Folignos/Hartmans/Freddy G's by giving them 4 year contract extensions.

Well - Only Foligno got a 4 year deal. Hartman expires this year and freddy is signed for 2.1 mil and can play 3rd/4th line minutes for that money.

What good is having the most talented player in franchise history if you cant surround him with enough talent to get the job done?

Lets say we have 20 million in Cap space after the buyouts drop off and we get rid of zucc/hartman. Kap will be asking for atleast 4-5 mil of that space in addition to what he makes now. You have 16 million to go out and get a 1C in FA where you will overpay. You also have Faber and Wallstedt deals to think about etc.

My fear is that we get out of "Cap Hell" and we do the exact same thing we have always done - run a mediocre lineup, get bounced in the first round and draft around 20-24 where we can hope to get another middle six potential forward.

You’re wrong or out of your mind!

Have it and I will just put this on ignore. I don’t think anything productive would come from it personally, you don’t theoretically trade a player like that and have two happy parties.

I'm not looking for anyone to be happy about it. People generally aren't happy to take medicine that tastes terrible even though its good for their long term health.

Reactions: Raistlin

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I tried doing something like this a week or so back. Would be looking for a 1st+very good forward prospect+good young NHL ready player. He'd be a full two year rental at that point, so it shouldn't be outrageous if a team can fit him. We'd obviously be able to take short term cap dumps back.

Last edited:

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
The problem is, most of the teams with cap space aren't close enough to contending to bring in a win-now player like Kaprizov, and most of the contending teams that would be interested won't have the cap space to take on his contract, high picks in the lottery, or the blue chip prospects needed to entice the Wild

So, to maximize the return, Minnesota would probably be best to retain 50% of his salary

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
The problem is, most of the teams with cap space aren't close enough to contending to bring in a win-now player like Kaprizov, and most of the contending teams that would be interested won't have the cap space to take on his contract, high picks in the lottery, or the blue chip prospects needed to entice the Wild

So, to maximize the return, Minnesota would probably be best to retain 50% of his salary

For me, retention or taking back a short term cap dump wouldn't be an issue if the return is right in the first place.

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
Why would there be an issue with paying a 28 year old with Kaprizov's talent a retirement contract?

Are you trying to become the old Wild again?
Handcuff yourself with no high end talent or handcuff yourself trying to keep it? In a perfect world, he signs a large but team "friendly" contract and they can afford to build around him. But for this excercise and AKL's from last week, pretend perfect world isn't an option.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Handcuff yourself with no high end talent or handcuff yourself trying to keep it? In a perfect world, he signs a large but team "friendly" contract and they can afford to build around him. But for this excercise and AKL's from last week, pretend perfect world isn't an option.

If you can keep Kaprizov, you do it. Why would you rather have two great players versus one elite player?

Who wins championships without Kaprizov level talent?

roon

Mar 1, 2012
Minnesota
Why would there be an issue with paying a 28 year old with Kaprizov's talent a retirement contract?

Exactly the opposite - trying to do something the Wild have never done. Build through the draft - get young and talented.

If you can keep Kaprizov, you do it. Why would you rather have two great players versus one elite player?

Who wins championships without Kaprizov level talent?

Las Vegas just won a cup without anyone on Kaprizov's level.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis

Name a young, cost controlled 1C that someone would move for kaprizov

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Las Vegas just won a cup without anyone on Kaprizov's level.

1696441010230.png

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
That’s the crux of the proble,m.

no team is trading a layer who is younger and a top line center for a player who can walk in 2 years

this is rental price return of a 1st+ 2 decent prospects/ picks but not giving it a top 13 draft pick 22 or under unless its a player like Laf

Reactions: Gurglesons

roon

Mar 1, 2012
Minnesota

I would think you could pry Cozens out of Buffalo for Kaprizov. He is projecting to be a 1C signed long term.

Kaprizov will skate circles around Jack. Eichel does well when there are other weapons on the ice to take the focus off him. Kaprizov does well despite being the only weapon on the ice.

• Haha
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan

Yea my question as well.

Kaprisov at 28 paying him till 35/36 is a no Brainerd if he wants to sign. Talent like that barely hits FA.

ref19

Oct 3, 2017
I would think you could pry Cozens out of Buffalo for Kaprizov. He is projecting to be a 1C signed long term.

Kaprizov will skate circles around Jack. Eichel does well when there are other weapons on the ice to take the focus off him. Kaprizov does well despite being the only weapon on the ice.
The Wild aren't trading Kaprizov for Dylan Cozens lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad