Speculation: Kaliyev trade...

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
Blake don't want picks he wants players to help him get an extension this year.

He really should try Kaliyev on lines 1,2 or 3 and see if he clicks or builds back a bit of value and move him before the deadline if not.

However , he seems to have him in his sights to make an example of him by selling low, another mistake.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
I love how Kaliyev is labeled one-dimensional, but then players who continually fail to produce offensively are labeled “well rounded” If you are an offensive black hole you are not well rounded. The guys who played over Kaliyev (Lewis, Turcotte, JAD) are just as inept offensively as Kaliyev was defensively.

Kaliyev is just another example of the Kings forcing players to adapt to an archaic dead-puck era system and not finding ways to use unique talents at the NHL level (Clarke not being a regular in his age 20 season is another example)

I think somebody is going to know how to maximize his talents and work around his shortcomings and be able to utilize a player with an all-star caliber shot. We will miss him in a few years when the new GM is trying to build
something and needs finishers

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
I love how Kaliyev is labeled one-dimensional, but then players who continually fail to produce offensively are labeled “well rounded” If you are an offensive black hole you are not well rounded. The guys who played over Kaliyev (Lewis, Turcotte, JAD) are just as inept offensively as Kaliyev was defensively.

Kaliyev is just another example of the Kings forcing players to adapt to an archaic dead-puck era system and not finding ways to use unique talents at the NHL level (Clarke not being a regular in his age 20 season is another example)

I think somebody is going to know how to maximize his talents and work around his shortcomings and be able to utilize a player with an all-star caliber shot. We will miss him in a few years when the new GM is trying to build
something and needs finishers
that's the end goal when your mantra is "no one has to be great if everyone is good" or whatever

a bunch of JAGs that bore the entire building to death and lose the game anyway

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
but what if they moved down from 21 to 25 and picked up another 4th or possibly a second while also acquiring.... a forward.... I'll stop now
Or....I know this might sound crazy....just keep AK and play him and his low price cap hit -- and not on the 4th line, but in a way that accentuates his skills.
Edit: Oh my, reading that now, I realize how stupid and crazy that thought is.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Or....I know this might sound crazy....just keep AK and play him and his low price cap hit -- and not on the 4th line, but in a way that accentuates his skills.
Edit: Oh my, reading that now, I realize how stupid and crazy that thought is.
It would be ideal, sure, but I get the feeling the relationship has been damaged beyond repair.

I think it's best for both, especially Kaliyev, if he gets the opportunity to move on. I just hope the Kings can get something of value for him.

LIstening to Yannetti's interviews with both Hoven and Jesse, this is my expectation of the draft. I think LA will move down a few spots. Yannetti talks a lot about tiers. If you have 6 players all available at the same tier, why not move down 5 spots? You get extra picks that you need and you're guaranteed at least one of the players in your tier is still available.

But after the PLD trade, I'm also deathly afraid Blake will trade ANOTHER first-round pick for a piece that will barely move the needle.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
But after the PLD trade, I'm also deathly afraid Blake will trade ANOTHER first-round pick for a piece that will barely move the needle.
I hope he doesnt do this. There are no realistic moves that will change the complexion of the team. They will be the same middling team as last season while again heading into the season with Doughty and Kopitar playing large portions of the games.
Our best hope is Byfield and Clarke come in with something to prove and just take over. It is not farfetched for them to break through like that but its also not something I would bet on happening.
But its more realistic than thinking getting Ehlers or Couturier for first round picks and prospects are gonna take the team to the cup.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Kings are high on players in this draft don’t be shocked if they move around mainly getting more higher picks. They only have a pick in the 1st and then not again to the 4th.

If they move up and grab a few players in the late 1st or early 2nd they could land some really good players to refill the cupboard.

MonkeysUncle

May 31, 2024
Jesse knows something
Kings are high on players in this draft don’t be shocked if they move around mainly getting more higher picks. They only have a pick in the 1st and then not again to the 4th.
I think if a couple of players are left at 21, try to move to back couple of spots and pick up 2nd and 4th. There was a proposal with Chicago getting 21 and Kings picking up 34 50 72, not sure how both sides feel about that.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
I really dont.

I don't like to speculate for multiple reasons not the least of which is if I do people might assume I know something and I don't know anything
Jesse totally knows something and he is trying the old switcheroo.

We totally see it coming

young-cross-eyed-businessman-biting-600nw-730459927.jpg

MonkeysUncle

May 31, 2024
AK to Ottawa does make sense seeing as he played in Hamilton while Staois was there. Andlauer owned the team.
hopefully if something does happen, the player coming back is young with upside like Kaliyev , maybe a Jarventie , Grieg, Pettersson something along those lines, not Brannstrom as we don't need small average defensemen

Peter James Bond III

De-LUC-sional
Jul 8, 2020
but what if they moved down from 21 to 25 and picked up another 4th or possibly a second while also acquiring.... a forward.... I'll stop now
Yes! What I proposed above. Arty +21 OA for Ott #25 and 39 OA.
I have been looking around the web about an hour and watched some Ottawa podcast
and their thoughts on their offseason...and even going back 2 months.

First, Ott doesn't have any 3rd rds, but 4! 4th rounders...the last few yrs, Yannetti seems to be doing better in rds 4-7. Or at least, finding some pretty good prospects, that have shown something since their draft.

These guys were saying about how something had to give on their LD...Sanderson, Chychrun, Chabot, Brannstrom...and Klevin has played some games the last 2 yrs...they think that Brannstrom may be the one moved, but think he's come a long way, but they see him odd man out. They love his skating, transition, smarts and that he's reliable...just think he cannot play 3rd pairing, with his offensive game and they more need a 6'4" 205 LB Kleven there. Brannstrom seems a lot like Spence and not sure if the Kings should have 2, 5'10" 190 lb D....Spence is actually a little bigger, for that matter.
Brannstrom has legit skill and seems like they even tried him LW. He is also an RFA, (a 1 yr, 2M deal ended) like Arty and 25 yrs old...was a main piece in the Stone deal. I'd be against it, unless the Kings think he's Spence level and would play in in 1st or 2nd pairing...Maybe 'a left handed Spence' like Brannstrom would do well with Drew. It's not outlandish. Brannstrom can play. If the Kings could replace Englund with Dillon, there's that...but then Gav or Mikey moves? So, I don't see this working for the Kings.

Unless it's Klevin, but it seems they love him and are going to promote him. That leaves Chychrun and Chabot....Chabot has 2 yrs at 8 million....so, unless they take Arty and another contract...Gavy? But he has a NMC AND / OR retain a few million....I don't see it as Chabot. Kings need 2 forwards.
They talked about Mathieu Joseph, as possibly being on the move and they won't move Pinto (their opinion) Joseph has 2 more yrs at 2.95, so that's a bit rich...but, came off his best yr of 11 g 24 assists 35 pts...and is a good all around player and plays both LW / RW. 27 trs old...now, only if the Kings believe he's legit good as an Arvy replacement AND they get a true top 6 forward ala Teravainen, Toffoli (not my ist choice) DeBrusk, or dare I say even better?

The best scenario is a 2nd rd pick or a Klevin....o(r the 21 +Arty for 25 and 39 or Klevin!)
AND that Rob has a few teams bidding. I was once told (when I began selling my biz last yr) "if you have 1 offer....you have NO offers'....you need multiple bidders. Someone I've never seen on Hoven's Team Mayor X...wrote a short one liner, under the X post 'watch for Arty to Ottawa'
"It's branny" and that was it...cryptic and why I started watching Ottawa pods...now, unless the Kings truly believe Brannstrom is a legit top 1 or top 2 pairing, stay away. However,he can certainly play. If he was 6'0" 200 lbs, he would be special and not even available. Yeah, I don't want 2 d's the size of Spence and Brannstrom. Hear ya. That said, I'd honestly want Spence over Roy right now. Contract or not.

Another possibility? Tyler Boucher. who was 10th overall a few yrs ago and was a head scratcher...think he's Brian Boucher's son. Tough kid.

Klevin. 6'4" 205 LHD
His ability to close gaps and rub players out makes him a presence in neutral ice, though when he doesn’t have opportunities to close out on faster skaters and he has to gap up on them with speed, he can sometimes get beat wide. I’ve seen improved instincts with the puck these last few years, so there is some value outside of his defensive game there (though his shot, outlets and the occasional play off of a pinch is really where his offence starts and ends).

You hope he becomes a low-event, defence-first penalty killer who can play alongside a more modern type. He looks like he’s going to get there.

Tyler Boucher RW 20 yrs old. 6'1" 205 Belleville AHL.

He’s also, even when healthy, a flawed player. There is a lot to like. He has always been a very physically mature kid who was built broad and strong like an NHLer at an early age. Off the ice, he’s got a good head on his shoulders and presents himself very well. On the ice, he hits like a truck, gives it his all between whistles and plays with power. But his statistical profile doesn’t promise NHL, and his game can lack dimension beyond his physicality, strength and NHL shot (it really pops off his stick).

He’s got quick hands and some soft skill, but he’s not a particularly quick skater, so those hands are most useful in short moments inside the offensive zone when the game slows down, or on catch-and-release sequences for his shot, because he’s not a particularly dangerous or threatening rush player. His catch-and-release is both effortless and powerful (though he can miss the net a little too much for my liking).

He’s good on the bumper on the power play. He’ll get to the front of the net and make plays off the cycle, and he’ll score some clean goals with his shot, but when the pace in games ramps up, his impact typically lessens. Can he become a complementary power forward in a bottom-six role? I think so. He certainly has some NHL tools. Will he produce like a No. 10 pick? Don't know why he never reaches 30+ games anywhere...lol That's kind of a Kings' thing, for their youth, for that matter. What was Ottawa thinking, drafting him at 10 OA? He was a reach for a good third liner, almost. He's like Kyle Clifford, the sequel. Maybe more upside.

2020-21
undefined flag
U.S. National U17 Team
NTDP23038-
undefined flag
U.S. National U18 Team
NTDP149514300
undefined flag
USNTDP Juniors
USHL532513-1
2021-22
undefined flag
Boston Univ.
NCAA1721334-6
undefined flag
Ottawa 67's
OHL24771422-7Playoffs411260
2022-23
undefined flag
Ottawa 67's
OHL211071732-1
undefined flag
USA U20
WJC-20631482
2023-24
undefined flag
Belleville Senators
AHL2123534-4

Going to be a BIG week. Wish Arty better...he deserves better.

Last edited:

Jericho111091

Dec 18, 2014
Paramount Ca
I don't expect him to be a world beater or anything if/when he gets dealt, but I also don't understand how this team can claim to know his abilities as a player when he's believed to be a one dimensional scorer yet they give him 4th line minutes and maybe 30 seconds of special teams time a night

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Why are we still talking and haven't made a trade with Struble?

I'm paying extra to have my words travel across the continent and...no results. "Sigh"

This is going to be an extra interesting few weeks....

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
Attach Kaliyev to Kuemper and send both to Ottawa for a 7th

Yes I know Ottawa would never do it but if we get rid of all Blake’s mistakes can we get rid of Blake and his buddy Luc

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
Attach Kaliyev to Kuemper and send both to Ottawa for a 7th

Yes I know Ottawa would never do it but if we get rid of all Blake’s mistakes can we get rid of Blake and his buddy Luc

Looking like Ottawa landed Ullmark today.

https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/bosto...anding-spot-for-bruins-linus-ullmark-revealed

"Trade rumors surrounding Boston Bruins goalie Linus Ullmark are at an all-time high. According to Bruce Garrioch, trade talks between the Bruins and Ottawa Senators have intensified. David Pagnotta also recently wrote that two sources informed him that Ullmark would accept a trade to Ottawa if a deal was finalized.

However, while Ottawa's interest in Ullmark is high, other clubs, including the Detroit Red Wings, are still in the goalie market. With Ullmark being the last big fish on the trade market, it would not be too shocking if the Red Wings stepped up their efforts to acquire him."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad