Player Discussion Kaiden Guhle

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
Seems like Slavin took a really team friendly contract though. I wouldn't be surprised if Guhle got a similar contract, even though he is a lesser player, because I expect the market value to be at that pricetag.

Anything less Would be a team friendly deal in my mind.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Guhle is good and we all like him. But you don't pay him upwards of $7M plus unless he is producing offense. Sorry. That's when we get into trouble, paying a premium for defensive guys. Danault got his $5.5M not because of his great defensive play but because he could also do 20/50.

Probably his offense is taking a back seat to Matheson, but I would bridge him and agree that he will get a chance to open things up, see what he can do.

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
Guhle is good and we all like him. But you don't pay him upwards of $7M plus unless he is producing offense.[...] Probably his offense is taking a back seat to Matheson
That's the thing, was he even put in a position where he could produce offense?

2nd pairing on a bottom-feeder team, with 0:16 power play time on average. that's 1.2% of his total ice-time. for comparison, Matheson got 3:41 PP time, which was 14.4% of his total ice time.

maybe Kaiden has it in him, we just don't know yet.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Guhle is good and we all like him. But you don't pay him upwards of $7M plus unless he is producing offense. Sorry. That's when we get into trouble, paying a premium for defensive guys. Danault got his $5.5M not because of his great defensive play but because he could also do 20/50.

Probably his offense is taking a back seat to Matheson, but I would bridge him and agree that he will get a chance to open things up, see what he can do.
I agree. For the amount of money I'd be prepared to offer Guhle on an 8 year contract based on what he's shown offensively up until now, I can't see why he'd commit long term to that.

He had a decent pace in his rookie year with 18 points in 44 games, but then in 70 games last season he only had 4 more points than that. He had decent junior numbers and has shown signs that he can produce in the NHL so I assume he'd want to either wait a year and then negotiate as an RFA, or sign a 2-3 year contract and hope he improves.

Reactions: yianik

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016

2nd pairing on a bottom-feeder team, with 0:16 power play time on average. that's 1.2% of his total ice-time. for comparison, Matheson got 3:41 PP time, which was 14.4% of his total ice time.

He’s not an offensive D. He didn’t produce much offense even in juniors.

I’d offer him 8 years, $5M AAV. If he doesn’t take that, then 2 years, $3.5M AAV and look to trade him for a young top-six forward.

Reactions: ReimanSum1908

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I agree. For the amount of money I'd be prepared to offer Guhle on an 8 year contract based on what he's shown offensively up until now, I can't see why he'd commit long term to that.

He had a decent pace in his rookie year with 18 points in 44 games, but then in 70 games last season he only had 4 more points than that. He had decent junior numbers and has shown signs that he can produce in the NHL so I assume he'd want to either wait a year and then negotiate as an RFA, or sign a 2-3 year contract and hope he improves.

Tough to put up points without PP time and playing on his off hand is not helping as well as it limits his ability to make stretch passes.

Reactions: Redux91

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

I’d offer him 8 years, $5M AAV. If he doesn’t take that, then 2 years, $3.5M AAV and look to trade him for a young top-six forward.
He was almost a PPG in his D+2. Not historic numbers but you’re selling him short there.

Depending on his usage I don’t think 40 points is out of the question

Reactions: BJCOLLINS and Mrb1p

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
I agree and I don't even really think it's accurate to say that he hasn't produced offence. 40 points in 114 NHL games with zero PP time while mostly playing on a matchup pair is pretty legitimate production from a defenceman who isn't selling out for offence. Over the past two seasons combined he's 51st among defencemen in even strength P/60. Hard to really complain about that from a rookie & 2nd year player who had big defensive responsibilities on a terrible team.

At 5v5 he's produced at basically the same rate as Letang and Hanifin since he entered the league. He's never going to be Erik Karlsson but I wouldn't typecast him as a DFD by any means. One of these years he's going to comfortably break 45P because injuries or circumstance will get him 1.5-2 minutes a night of PP time.

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021

He would need PP time for that…. And with Hutson that won’t happen for him. 6x 5M works for me. He’s our best D out of the core and future Asst captain

Reactions: yianik

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018

He wasn’t used on the PP because it is quite clearly not the best use of his time. There isn’t much offensive creativity you will see from Guhle. He can get in lanes and pick up some assists with quick transition play, but he will never be a staple on the PP. it’s not his game.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
lol, picking apart the offensive game of a brilliant young (22) defenceman…….this kid is the real deal, teams win with this type of player! There is no doubt Guhle will be a dominant defensive force when he’s 25-30yo, a perennial team Canada D.
He is unlikely to ever make a Canadian Olympic team at any point in his career.

Reactions: rahad

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
Canada is not overly deep at LD, I would say Guhle is in the convo for both 2026 and 2030, but especially the latter as he’ll be a seasoned 28yo then

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
lol, picking apart the offensive game of a brilliant young (22) defenceman…….this kid is the real deal, teams win with this type of player! There is no doubt Guhle will be a dominant defensive force when he’s 25-30yo, a perennial team Canada D.
That's not the point. The point is he's not worth 7-8M$ a year, at least not at this point.

6M$ is the highest I'd go, and even that's a stretch. Potential is high, but there's a decent chance he never actually gets much better than Ben Chariot ever was. A good old Canadian, top-4 rugged dman.

Reactions: BJCOLLINS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad