Player Discussion Kaapo Kakko

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Some of that may be true but I think the coaches thought it was more than his center since KK was scratched in the playoffs again. KK also didn't produce in the playoffs 2 sradons ago when his center (Chytil) was on a major hot goal run. I think KK can be better than he has been but I think that is up to KK.

We lost. Two eastern conference finals.

Scratching Kak made absolutely zero difference in each of those series.

I hope he can put it together this year. We would be beyond deadly.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011

I agree but that is kind of the problem. Nobody would have considered scratching Chytil or Laffy in those playoffs 2 seasons ago. We want KK to get to that level. I have not lost hope for KK but he does have to play better than he did last season. Right now 2022-23 is his career year. I'd like KK to make 2022-23 his floor not his ceiling. If he does that then he becomes a legit asset.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Scratching Kakko in back to back playoffs, for one game, when he's really not hurting us any is kind of a dick move imo, I mean if it were me I'd want out of NY fast, especially considering he was replaced by the corpse of Blake Wheeler. I had hoped they could turn him around but they likely sent him packing after that, I dunno. I still believe there's a good player in there, I just wish they'd lay out a plan for him if they haven't, seems communication isn't our strong point.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
I agree but that is kind of the problem. Nobody would have considered scratching Chytil or Laffy in those playoffs 2 seasons ago. We want KK to get to that level. I have not lost hope for KK but he does have to play better than he did last season. Right now 2022-23 is his career year. I'd like KK to make 2022-23 his floor not his ceiling. If he does that then he becomes a legit asset.
Just to be clear.
He was at that level 2 years ago. everyone was furious with gallant for that move.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Just to be clear.
He was at that level 2 years ago. everyone was furious with gallant for that move.
He played well in the 2022-23 regular season. The benching I referred to was in the playoffs the season before 2022-23. KK had some good and some bad games in those playoffs. At times he did not seem to be playing as well as his linemates (Chytil and Laf). I was surprised at the benching but not furious. He had been kind of invisible for 3 straight games in that playoff series besides missing an empty net that may have made a big difference in that series.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
He's 7 months older and a full season more developed. Find another comparison as that's utter trash.
Well, with his injury time, he's actually NOT a full season more developed.
In fact Kakko has played 344 NHL games (300 reg season, 44 playoff) while Lafrenierre has played 298 reg season games and 43 playoff games for a total of 341 NHL games...

We all know Kakko had a shit year, but he showed steady improvement each season over the last until this past season, when he did suffer a serious knee injury. His D+4 he scored 40 points almost entirely at 5v5. I'm more than willing to believe he can top that pretty easily if he stays healthy and has linemates that he meshes with.
I'm also not opposed to moving on from him provided we get good value for him. IMO getting less value than a young very defensively responsible winger who can put up 40 5v5 points (at a 2.4mil cap hit) would be stupid. We already know he can do that. Because he DID at only 21 years old. Why settle for less? Just because we think he should be better?

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
iirc the cap was given as a reason, which was kinda bs. Buch would have signed with us at the same price, and we could have fitted that.

Whatever the plan was, they threw it out the window after one year.
Signing Trocheck, added another top-six player.
I'd much rather have Trocheck than Buch.... would we have signed Tro if Buch was here? No idea, but we don't and didn't have unlinited cap.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
I'd much rather have Trocheck than Buch.... would we have signed Tro if Buch was here? No idea, but we don't and didn't have unlinited cap.

Buchnevich was traded to make room for an Eichel deal that never happened and Trocheck might be the 2nd best UFA signing in team history so that's a difficult thing to look past.

The worst, worst, WORST thing about the Buchnevich trade wasn't just losing him it was the pathetic return.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
shop.profetkeyboards.com

Isn't that the exact point?

Scratching Kakko made absolutely zero difference.

Let that sink in.

And I do stand by the fact that it was the right call at the time to make that trade. The return was f***ing awful, the idea behind the trade wasn't.
Agreed. At the time, without hindsight, that is the right move if you believe in your prospects.

That said, the return killed this team.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Isn't that the exact point?

Scratching Kakko made absolutely zero difference.

Let that sink in.

Agreed. At the time, without hindsight, that is the right move if you believe in your prospects.

That said, the return killed this team.

We will see. I think he can still turn this all around. Honestly, the whole fan base should. Kakko becoming a better player is so much more valuable than whatever dogshit teams are willing to give up for him.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Meanwhile, the Rangers replaced Barclay Goodrow with Sam Carrick, a fourth-line center swap, and, assuming they go this route, it'll be Zac Jones and not Erik Gustafsson, who signed with the Detroit Red Wings, on the third defense pair with Trouba to start the season. Maybe new addition Reilly Smith can be the answer at right wing on the line with Mika Zibanejad and Chris Kreider. Kaapo Kakko could get traded, but Brennan Othmann might be ready for the NHL, potentially giving New York a third line of Filip Chytil between Will Cuylle and Othmann to start the season. They have Carrick, Jimmy Vesey, Matt Rempe, Adam Edstrom and Jonny Brodzinski for bottom-six roles.

Dan Rosen dropped this little nugget in a mailbag.

Likely speculation on his part considering theyll need to see Othmann have a good camp first. I think the chances of Kakko being moved before the start of the season is low.

Unless he knows something we dont...

Last edited:

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Scratching Kakko in back to back playoffs, for one game, when he's really not hurting us any is kind of a dick move imo, I mean if it were me I'd want out of NY fast, especially considering he was replaced by the corpse of Blake Wheeler. I had hoped they could turn him around but they likely sent him packing after that, I dunno. I still believe there's a good player in there, I just wish they'd lay out a plan for him if they haven't, seems communication isn't our strong point.

Maybe he should, I dunno, play better if he doesn't want to be scratched? I sure hope he doesn't whine like this post.

Breakout season for Kakko:

GP G A PTS +/-
70 25 30 55 +7

Just hoping he's not spending this summer imbibing mystery beverages, eyes closed, at outdoor events.

Again, I would be totally fine with 35-40 points as long as he started playing harder out there. His skating is just so bad and he has one speed. Dude is a CVT when we need a 6-speed.

If he doesn't put in the effort to change that, I'm cool with moving on from him.

Reactions: will1066

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011

Likely speculation on his part considering theyll need to see Othmann have a good camp first. I think the chances of Kakko being moved before the start of the season is low.

Whether its Trouba or KK I don't want to make a move unless we have a replacement plan in place to make us better. I don't want to make a move just to make a move. Id be fine if its part of a realistic plan to get better though.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008

Wondering why Othmann getting the love over Berard????
I guess cause he’s a 1st rounder???
I’m really anxious to see how Cuylle does in his second year.
I think living with Trochek and his fam was great for him.
This season he should be settled in and take another step forward developmentally. I think he’s got runway to play higher up in the line up. He’s got all the tools, similar to Kakko, but I actually think Cuylle has a better wrist shot. He’s also more physical. Hes going to get his hits again this season, but if we see an uptick in his skating, he could be one of the most pleasant surprises in the line up.
I’m not with dropping him to 4th line. I’d like to see his minutes/role increase.
I’d also like to see him on a line opposite a player with wheels/creativity.. Cuylle has no problem going straight to the front of the net and staying there. It would be great if someone can get him the puck in those situations

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Wondering why Othmann getting the love over Berard????
I guess cause he’s a 1st rounder???
I’m really anxious to see how Cuylle does in his second year.
I think living with Trochek and his fam was great for him.
This season he should be settled in and take another step forward developmentally. I think he’s got runway to play higher up in the line up. He’s got all the tools, similar to Kakko, but I actually think Cuylle has a better wrist shot. He’s also more physical. Hes going to get his hits again this season, but if we see an uptick in his skating, he could be one of the most pleasant surprises in the line up.
I’m not with dropping him to 4th line. I’d like to see his minutes/role increase.
I’d also like to see him on a line opposite a player with wheels/creativity.. Cuylle has no problem going straight to the front of the net and staying there. It would be great if someone can get him the puck in those situations

I’d love to see Cuylle get PP time this year. I think having him in a Kreider type game in front would definitely help his game get better. He has the size to do so. I rather see Cuylle on the PP over Kakko. I also would love to see Schneider get some PP time, especially over Trouba. Schneider has underrated offensive game. I can see him scoring 10 goals in a season in the future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad