Player Discussion Kaapo Kakko

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Why are you shocked? Why the f*** would he sign in Europe, when he's clearly an NHL level player? He got a contract pretty fast didn't he?
Extremely fast! Now I'm wondering is there a reason for both sides that it came so fast?

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Extremely fast! Now I'm wondering is there a reason for both sides that it came so fast?
Because there wasn't much to bargain from Kakko's side, and if they want a trade that contract might be more tempting for other teams. Remains to be seen.

What it does tell you, is that both the organization and the player are on the same page. Whatever that might mean.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Because there wasn't much to bargain from Kakko's side, and if they want a trade that contract might be more tempting for other teams. Remains to be seen.

What it does tell you, is that both the organization and the player are on the same page. Whatever that might mean.
Yeah I have no idea what it means. Just seemed unusual. I do think it is a good thing though. I think Drury is ready to go to work.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Yeah I have no idea what it means. Just seemed unusual. I do think it is a good thing though. I think Drury is ready to go to work.
I think it went down like this: "Look, we could be looking to trade you and a fresh start for you somewhere else isn't maybe the worst idea. Sign your QO, it makes it easier for us to look for a trade. And if we don't find any, we are happy to keep you, and you are probably happy to stay here for at least one more year? Great, sign here".

Even while Kakko is not in ideal spot personally with the roster, he does play for a contender. And he plays for a contender in New York. There could be worse places to be, than third line here.

Reactions: NickyFotiu

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I think it went down like this: "Look, we could be looking to trade you and a fresh start for you somewhere else isn't maybe the worst idea. Sign your QO, it makes it easier for us to look for a trade. And if we don't find any, we are happy to keep you, and you are probably happy to stay here for at least one more year? Great, sign here".

Even while Kakko is not in ideal spot personally with the roster, he does play for a contender. And he plays for a contender in New York. There could be worse places to be, than third line here.
I could see that and it would be smart on both parties part. I think the crazy quick signing is a real positive. I'm very happy that Drury and KK got it done this way.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Such a shame. Every time we go down this line of names ... of our rebuild generation. I just shake my head at the rebuild.

2017: Lias bustaroni, Chytil totally fine for his position, almost steal, if he stays healthy.
2018: Krav Bust Inc., Key ok, still potential homerun, Lundkvist, bust-ish.
2019: The Kaapo enigma, the Robertson files, Hendrikson bust.
2020: Alfi turning the corner, Schneider solidness, Cuylle, looks to be a great draft for once.
2021: Othmann is great, don't think anybody else from that draft will amount to much.

I quite like Lamb for 2021. Don't sleep on him. Vaisanen as well.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
exercise:

For those who feel Kakko will be gone, what is a realistic return on value that you'd be happy with?

What might a fair deal for the player look like?

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
exercise:

For those who feel Kakko will be gone, what is a realistic return on value that you'd be happy with?

What might a fair deal for the player look like?
That’s the problem.
I acknowledge he had a bad year last year.
I think he has a higher ceiling than he’s shown here.
I can’t see a return that we don’t immediately regret.

Reactions: mas0764

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
We need Lav to show Kakko the patience (and ice time) he showed with Laf. I'm fully expecting Drury to go sign a 1RW, Kakko still getting 13 min ATOI, and generally not given the chance to fully develop the way Laf did last season. This kid needs minutes to get better. Fearing mistakes will lose him ice time is not the way with a player like Kakko.

The only way this works out well for us is something like Drury signs Kane. Kane goes down in preseason - comes back in like December/January and Kakko managed to solidify his spot. Super edge case and unlikely.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
We need Lav to show Kakko the patience (and ice time) he showed with Laf. I'm fully expecting Drury to go sign a 1RW, Kakko still getting 13 min ATOI, and generally not given the chance to fully develop the way Laf did last season. This kid needs minutes to get better. Fearing mistakes will lose him ice time is not the way with a player like Kakko.

The only way this works out well for us is something like Drury signs Kane. Kane goes down in preseason - comes back in like December/January and Kakko managed to solidify his spot. Super edge case and unlikely.
Just to point out Lavi absolutely gave Kakko a shot at the top 6. He even pointed out Kakko didn’t play his way off that line, and that he had played well but that results do matter more than metrics.

The overall line needed to be rehauled but I don’t disagree with lavi on that being an offseason move.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Just to point out Lavi absolutely gave Kakko a shot at the top 6. He even pointed out Kakko didn’t play his way off that line, and that he had played well but that results do matter more than metrics.

The overall line needed to be rehauled but I don’t disagree with lavi on that being an offseason move.
I would try Kreider-Zib-Laf, Panarin-Trocheck-Kakko
Let Laf carry the BFFs. Let Bread and Butter help Kakko develop his game.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011

After 5 years of playing almost every game with few exceptions I think its time to lose the afraid to make a mistake stuff. KK and all hockey players make mistakes. KK has not been called out on them 99% of the time. The best thing in my opinion for KK is stop making excuses. If you say he does not play much power play I would agree and not view that as an excuse. That would be a fact. I have no problem with facts. I think its time we stop with the other stuff though or we will start sounding like Ed Jovo talking about Krav. Almost everyone wants KK to be great. Nobody is trying to stop that in any way. I think the organization was optimistic about KK coming off 2022-23. I do not know what happened last season but it has nothing to do with coaching or fear of making mistakes imo.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
After 5 years of playing almost every game with few exceptions I think its time to lose the afraid to make a mistake stuff. KK and all hockey players make mistakes. KK has not been called out on them 99% of the time. The best thing in my opinion for KK is stop making excuses. If you say he does not play much power play I would agree and not view that as an excuse. That would be a fact. I have no problem with facts. I think its time we stop with the other stuff though or we will start sounding like Ed Jovo talking about Krav. Almost everyone wants KK to be great. Nobody is trying to stop that in any way. I think the organization was optimistic about KK coming off 2022-23. I do not know what happened last season but it has nothing to do with coaching or fear of making mistakes imo.
Hey, if he can get his shit together all on his own, that's fantastic. I think the kid has a lot of confidence issues. Like a lot of his hype was around how well he played vs NHL players at the 2019 worlds during his draft year. 40 SOG in 10 games. I think only Marchessault had more at 41. All I can say was he was super confident. Quinn and Gallant beat that confidence out of him. I know us boomers and gen-x'ers can tough that shit out but some of these young kids don't have that in their DNA. I think Krav had that mental fragility too.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Hey, if he can get his shit together all on his own, that's fantastic. I think the kid has a lot of confidence issues. Like a lot of his hype was around how well he played vs NHL players at the 2019 worlds during his draft year. 40 SOG in 10 games. I think only Marchessault had more at 41. All I can say was he was super confident. Quinn and Gallant beat that confidence out of him. I know us boomers and gen-x'ers can tough that shit out but some of these young kids don't have that in their DNA. I think Krav had that mental fragility too.
Well I can not say I know what is in his head but I'd be surprised if his issues comes down to fear of making mistakkes. I could be wrong but I suspect there are other things at play. More confidence would be great but that comes from playing well not just playing more minutes imo. I do not claim to know the answer to KK. I usually consider myself a fair judge of talent but I honestly do not know what to make of KK. I do not mind admitting that. In general I think KK has played better than his "haters" say but worse than the people that blame coaches say. I'm definitely rooting for him. I just hope we can judge him in a fair way based on his actual play regardless of line, coaches, etc.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I bet he is gone by the end of tonight
I'm okay if we get a good return but whether its KK or any other player I do not want to make a move just to make a move. If Drury and the coaches thinks it betters the team though then I would be okay. I think KK had an rough season and playoffs but my mind is not closed on him. I would be okay giving him one more year as a "make it or break it" type season.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
This might be my last post in the Kakko discussion thread. I'm gonna get a emotional. The real player development was the friends we made along the way

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Well I can not say I know what is in his head but I'd be surprised if his issues comes down to fear of making mistakkes. I could be wrong but I suspect there are other things at play. More confidence would be great but that comes from playing well not just playing more minutes imo. I do not claim to know the answer to KK. I usually consider myself a fair judge of talent but I honestly do not know what to make of KK. I do not mind admitting that. In general I think KK has played better than his "haters" say but worse than the people that blame coaches say. I'm definitely rooting for him. I just hope we can judge him in a fair way based on his actual play regardless of line, coaches, etc.
I believe there were 3 times in 2-3 seasons where he started to heat up and immediately got injured. That accounts for both the playing better than the haters, worse than the people that blame coaches say. The second group is probably focused on those spurts of good play more than the haters who probably consider them statistically insignificant. There's probably someone here who knows how to calculate the p-value impact of his "good" games vs his norm.

Reactions: NickyFotiu

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad