Player Discussion Kaapo Kakko

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Again, this is all the exact same conversation we were having about Lafreniere last year.

It's just that Kakko's is coming two years later in his career. That matters, but it's not too late for him.

He's 7 months older and a full season more developed. Find another comparison as that's utter trash.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Insulting to Lafreniere to compare the two at this point. Lafreniere switched positions to accomodate himself in the top 6 and had a 28 goal season and dominant playoffs.

Yep. The comparison is so f***ing lazy and is just a complete joke.

Literally the only thing remotely similar is the draft position. Yet these people keep on making that dumb comparison.

Reactions: Barnaby and Atax

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
The irony in that is I believe Buch was traded more for KK to get a top 6 RW spot (at a reduced cap hit) than for Sammy Blais.

iirc the cap was given as a reason, which was kinda bs. Buch would have signed with us at the same price, and we could have fitted that.

Whatever the plan was, they threw it out the window after one year.
Signing Trocheck, added another top-six player.

Reactions: noncents

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
He's 7 months older and a full season more developed. Find another comparison as that's utter trash.
7 months and one year of development doesn't make the comparison "utter trash." We are talking about two very young players who haven't developed on the timeline we anticipated.

FWIW, I'm not claiming "just give it one more year and we will see Kakko do what Lafreniere did." I would agree they are different tiers as players at this point.

I'm just saying we just witnessed an unexpected jump not even a full calendar year ago. It would not be surprising to see a relatively unexpected improvement from Kakko.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Frankly, if Kakko just goes back to what he did in 2022-2023, that's pretty good value for 2.4mil.

Depends on whether he is a passenger as per usual or can actually contribute himself.

7 months and one year of development doesn't make the comparison "utter trash." We are talking about two very young players who haven't developed on the timeline we anticipated.

FWIW, I'm not claiming "just give it one more year and we will see Kakko do what Lafreniere did." I would agree they are different tiers as players at this point.

I'm just saying we just witnessed an unexpected jump not even a full calendar year ago. It would not be surprising to see a relatively unexpected improvement from Kakko.

On the contrary. It would be very surprising to see a guy who has literally not changed his game an ounce to all of a sudden take a major step forward.

Reactions: Barnaby

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
iirc the cap was given as a reason, which was kinda bs. Buch would have signed with us at the same price, and we could have fitted that.

Whatever the plan was, they threw it out the window after one year.
Signing Trocheck, added another top-six player.
You are right that the cap was the significant reason but we also had invested high draft picks in Krav, Chytil, Laf, and Kaapo so there was going to also be a possible top 6 position crunch. The hope was that one of our high draft picks would fill that top line role at a reduced cap cost.

NYRFANMANI

Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
You are right that the cap was the significant reason but we also had invested high draft picks in Krav, Chytil, Laf, and Kaapo so there was going to also be a possible top 6 position crunch. The hope was that one of our high draft picks would fill that top line role at a reduced cap cost.

Such a shame. Every time we go down this line of names ... of our rebuild generation. I just shake my head at the rebuild.

2017: Lias bustaroni, Chytil totally fine for his position, almost steal, if he stays healthy.
2018: Krav Bust Inc., Key ok, still potential homerun, Lundkvist, bust-ish.
2019: The Kaapo enigma, the Robertson files, Hendrikson bust.
2020: Alfi turning the corner, Schneider solidness, Cuylle, looks to be a great draft for once.
2021: Othmann is great, don't think anybody else from that draft will amount to much.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Such a shame. Every time we go down this line of names ... of our rebuild generation. I just shake my head at the rebuild.

2017: Lias bustaroni, Chytil totally fine for his position, almost steal, if he stays healthy.
2020: Alfi turning the corner, Schneider solidness, Cuylle, looks to be a great draft for once.
2021: Othmann is great, don't think anybody else from that draft will amount to much.
The more recent picks look much better than those earlier picks. We also did get a #1 pick for Lundkvist.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Chmelar is a pretty good bet to play even if it’s on a 4th line.

2020 also has a few other guys like Berard, Garand and this boards folk hero Rempe. That one may end up being really fruitful.

NYRFANMANI

Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
I mean, I don't have to explain, that the most recent picks are too recent to evaluate properly.

Much love for Sykora. But I was talking about our many 1st and 2nd rd picks, that were supposed to be the next core.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad