Player Discussion Kaapo Kakko

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
I wont say that but sometimes guys that are not huge scorers in a lower level are drafted with hope they will become huge scorers at this level. I think people see #2 overall draft pick and think he must be a big scorer. My fear is that he really was not really a huge scorer before he was drafted so maybe that was more hope than reality. We also have to be honest that draft year was not great. The media played it up like Hughes and KK were almost equal but their ceilings were quite different imo. Lastly while I understand people's frustrations its not that he is not trying. He just may not have it.
Kakko had a fantastic d-1 offensive season in Finland. He had better numbers (adjusted) than barkov.

Reactions: B17 Apricots

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Kakko had a fantastic d-1 offensive season in Finland. He had better numbers (adjusted) than Barkov.

And then literally never improved a single aspect of his game after.

Just insane. He's a flabbergasting player. I have no clue if it is effort (I do think a good bit of this IS a lack of effort from him), lack of hockey smarts, or just a flat out inability to improve. Perhaps it's a mix of all three.

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
People thought it was effort with Lafreniere too, but I don’t buy it with Kakko any more than I did with Laf. I think lack of confidence looks a lot like lack of effort.

And on the flip side Kakko ABSOLUTELY seems like the shy, awkward, not confident type.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
People thought it was effort with Lafreniere too, but I don’t buy it with Kakko any more than I did with Laf. I think lack of confidence looks a lot like lack of effort.

And on the flip side Kakko ABSOLUTELY seems like the shy, awkward, not confident type.

If it wasn't a lack of effort, we'd hear about him going HAM doing power skating training. It's literally his worst attribute and we haven't heard of him putting in any real offseason work in it. In fact, we barely hear about any of his offseason training.

I don't think it's ALL a lack of effort, but I don't see him doing the work required to play at this level, either.

I just don't get him at all. It could just be he's getting horrific advice, I guess, but regardless - it sure comes off as this is at least partially effort-related.

Dude sucks. Time to move on.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
If it wasn't a lack of effort, we'd hear about him going HAM doing power skating training. It's literally his worst attribute and we haven't heard of him putting in any real offseason work in it. In fact, we barely hear about any of his offseason training.

I don't think it's ALL a lack of effort, but I don't see him doing the work required to play at this level, either.

I just don't get him at all. It could just be he's getting horrific advice, I guess, but regardless - it sure comes off as this is at least partially effort-related.

Dude sucks. Time to move on.
I distinctly remember 2 years ago, there were reports that said he was running stair and training in SWD because he knew he had to make his lower body more powerful.
I actually think skating wise, he took a step back then the previous season.
His confidence is likely shot too, no question.
When 2 diff coaches scratch at the biggest time of the year, it says something.
The best scenario for him is to be dealt to a team like ANA….
Not much media scrutiny in that market, and they stink so there’s not a lot of expectations.
He could actually get top 6 min and PP time there

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I distinctly remember 2 years ago, there were reports that said he was running stair and training in SWD because he knew he had to make his lower body more powerful.
I actually think skating wise, he took a step back then the previous season.
His confidence is likely shot too, no question.
When 2 diff coaches scratch at the biggest time of the year, it says something.
The best scenario for him is to be dealt to a team like ANA….
Not much media scrutiny in that market, and they stink so there’s not a lot of expectations.
He could actually get top 6 min and PP time there

Oh, great. He was going up and down stairs. Wonderful. I see it did a lot of work.

Imagine thinking Kakko has done ANYTHING to deserve top 6 time or PP time? My God. 🤣

TwentyFour

Sep 13, 2019
Sorry but in my opinion Kappo put way more effort in that game 6 then any of the 6+ million core players.

Go ahead and trade him to another team , this current rangers core (panarin ,zib,trouba , kreider) are not bringing home a cup. It may be my game 6 bitterness but 50 years of watching this team is just brutal.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Sorry but in my opinion Kappo put way more effort in that game 6 then any of the 6+ million core players.

Go ahead and trade him to another team , this current rangers core (panarin ,zib,trouba , kreider) are not bringing home a cup. It may be my game 6 bitterness but 50 years of watching this team is just brutal.

I'd love a detailed description of why you think that. I'd like some actual specifics since, to me, he floated around aimlessly nearly every game. It even earned him a healthy scratch.

What would you say he even does, here?

1717297971188.png

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I’ll accept nothing less than unconditional surrender on Kakko. There’s never been a more obvious spot to upgrade. Keeping him here because he’s got a cheap QO is an act of charity for Kakko that doesn’t make the Rangers better.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I’ll accept nothing less than unconditional surrender on Kakko. There’s never been a more obvious spot to upgrade. Keeping him here because he’s got a cheap QO is an act of charity for Kakko that doesn’t make the Rangers better.

I wouldn't even say he has a cheap QO. Kind of average for what he brings to the team, I guess.

Reactions: McRanger92

Kiekura

Oct 6, 2013
I'd love a detailed description of why you think that. I'd like some actual specifics since, to me, he floated around aimlessly nearly every game. It even earned him a healthy scratch.

What would you say he even does, here?

View attachment 878597

And that is his problem. He always floats outside of the game, waiting for others to do something and just making passes.

Many Finnish hockey journalists etc has been saying for a while now, that he needs to put that body to work, drive the net, shoot and shoot more and not always try to find passing lane.

He is so scared to make mistakes that he has complitely killed off his game.

Reactions: CLW

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
It’s time for a change for him. I’m sure his reps have, or will be soon, be communicating that to NYR.

He needs to see if he can jumpstart his career elsewhere. There will be a market for him.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
I would have liked to see him get a shot at PK here, I think there could be some value there.

He’ll move on and play in the league for another 10 years as a middle 6 RW. Hes not a bust as much as he is just a no frills JAG. And the league is filled with them

Reactions: bhamill

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
I think KK is not nearly as good as some people say but also not nearly as bad as some people say. This season was a disappointment.

Yes. Vibes are BAD for sure but I still don't want to trade him or let him walk. I'd take my chances on him as our own lottery ticket and maybe something cool happens.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

dshea19

Jun 9, 2015
This team needs a significant change. Something to change the identity of the team. As constructed, they aren’t going to win a cup. Relying on an amazing goalie and hoping the rest settles out is not the recipe for a championship. They wasted HL’s best years with that formula. They can’t do that again. Kakko, I assume, is probably going to be one of the pieces used to make that change. They might even need to take a slight step back to really make something that is a dangerous contender for the cup. Kakko is one of the few pieces that they have complete control over how they can best utilize his value in a trade. Because of movement clauses and limited ntc’s, they can’t be as aggressive as they may want to be in trades. I think KK has failed to make himself indispensable. Regardless of how anyone feels, we all have to agree that he has failed to grasp the chances given to him. There can be arguments made that he hasn’t been given the best or consistent chances, but he hasn’t really done anything with any chances.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I’m actually of the belief that he’s much worse than people actually think. He’s shown some flashes but overall, he’s useless most of the times on the ice.
Thats what makes him so hard to judge. The couple of flashes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad