Confirmed with Link: Kaapo Kahkonen 1 x $1M Winnipeg

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Does this mean that DD sticks with the Moose?
He's the big winner in this transaction.

Regardless of who was getting sent down Milic was in the position of 1A goalie with the Moose.

Di Vincentiis was likely ECHL bound, gets his debut in the A.

That's a young tandem in net, hopefully push each other to improve.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Your case is pretty much that you think that Kahkonen's more talented and a year younger. You haven't really attempted to expand beyond that, other than to ask me to ignore Comrie's time in Winnipeg in 2021-22, and think more about Kahkonen's time with Minnesota; as though it just happened.

I've consistently stated that Comrie was bad in Buffalo. Trying to understand if it was more than just his being bad in net, if other factors could have contributed with his bad play, might be a wasted exercise, but it doesn't hurt to look either. To me, a lot of work is writing 50K worth of posts with a high percentage of it being engaged in circular arguments. :naughty:

I'm hoping that Comrie builds on where he was three years ago. And good luck to Kahkonen in Colorado. Hopefully it's a great fit for both players, save for when we play them this year.

I'm not ignoring Comrie in 22 in Wpg. But that is the ONLY season he wasn't terrible in the NHL. It wasn't just the last 2 years in Buffalo. Kahkonen had more than one good season. His bad seasons were all in San Jose with the really bad Sharks in front of him. That's the whole story.

Comrie can't build on where he was 3 years ago because it isn't 3 years ago. I'm hoping that his success 3 years ago was a result of Helle's mentoring and they can do it again though. We'll see.

Reactions: JetsFan815

Dale53130

Nov 10, 2019
I'm not ignoring Comrie in 22 in Wpg. But that is the ONLY season he wasn't terrible in the NHL. It wasn't just the last 2 years in Buffalo. Kahkonen had more than one good season. His bad seasons were all in San Jose with the really bad Sharks in front of him. That's the whole story.

Comrie can't build on where he was 3 years ago because it isn't 3 years ago. I'm hoping that his success 3 years ago was a result of Helle's mentoring and they can do it again though. We'll see.

Both player's last "good" season was in 2021-22.

Beyond that, Kaapo was clearly better than Comrie prior to that (I agree), but we're talking about 29 games spread over 2 season with a team that was pretty good. It's not nothing, but again, it's also 4 seasons ago.

If you're not really counting Kaapo's time in SJ, then why are we only counting Comrie's time in Buffalo? Comrie's sample size there is also considerably smaller, you can also recognize that. Perhaps he needed more games to "normalize" to some degree.

Why no consideration for how Comrie was deployed coming back from injury last year, or after he was called up from the minors last year?

Listening to Comrie's interview from July, he talked about his dealing with two injuries in Buffalo, and now being in the best shape of his life.

Reactions: KingBogo

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I think Helly's opinion on who he prefers as his backup likely carries a lot of weight.
There's more to performance than just what you see on the ice. I think Comrie just fits this team, he's been around it for awhile. So practice habits, team dinners, family, dogs, fishing, all that kind of stuff is relevant to team chemistry.

Honestly if you compare preseason games 1 and 2 Kahkonen and Comrie, Comrie was just as solid in net. If it's a knockoff, you definitely choose chemistry in the locker room, as part of the team building process.

Flaherty seems to get Comrie to a higher level than any other coach, so let's hope being back in Winnipeg works for Eric.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Both player's last "good" season was in 2021-22.

Beyond that, Kaapo was clearly better than Comrie prior to that (I agree), but we're talking about 29 games spread over 2 season with a team that was pretty good. It's not nothing, but again, it's also 4 seasons ago.

If you're not really counting Kaapo's time in SJ, then why are we only counting Comrie's time in Buffalo? Comrie's sample size there is also considerably smaller, you can also recognize that. Perhaps he needed more games to "normalize" to some degree.

Why no consideration for how Comrie was deployed coming back from injury last year, or after he was called up from the minors last year?

Listening to Comrie's interview from July, he talked about his dealing with two injuries in Buffalo, and now being in the best shape of his life.

I AM counting Kaapo's time in SJ. I am not counting ONLY his time in SJ. You appear to be counting ONLY Comrie's 22 season in Wpg. I'm counting all of the time for both of them. I'm not eliminating 1 especially bad game for either. I'm not looking only at their best or worse seasons.

You are looking at every extenuating circumstance or excuse for Comrie. Have you done the same for Kaapo?

If you want to discount 4 seasons ago then lets discount 3 seasons ago too. How about we look only at last season? At least there is an argument for that, their most recent bodies of work.
Comrie - 10 gms, .874
Kahkonen - 31 gms, .895 plus 6 gms, .923
Not even close.

I think the Jets chose the wrong one, based on their resumes. I will hope to be proven wrong until I'm not.

Dale53130

Nov 10, 2019
I AM counting Kaapo's time in SJ. I am not counting ONLY his time in SJ. You appear to be counting ONLY Comrie's 22 season in Wpg. I'm counting all of the time for both of them. I'm not eliminating 1 especially bad game for either. I'm not looking only at their best or worse seasons.

You are looking at every extenuating circumstance or excuse for Comrie. Have you done the same for Kaapo?

If you want to discount 4 seasons ago then lets discount 3 seasons ago too. How about we look only at last season? At least there is an argument for that, their most recent bodies of work.
Comrie - 10 gms, .874
Kahkonen - 31 gms, .895 plus 6 gms, .923
Not even close.

I think the Jets chose the wrong one, based on their resumes. I will hope to be proven wrong until I'm not.

I've highlighted (at length) Comrie's time in Buffalo.

Mortimer, I like you. I am concerned that you're going to injure yourself moving the goalposts as frequently as you do.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I've highlighted (at length) Comrie's time in Buffalo.

Mortimer, I like you. I am concerned that you're going to injure yourself moving the goalposts as frequently as you do.

Come on Dale. The only goalposts I have had in this discussion has been all of their careers. I suggested using last year only as a response to your trying to break their careers down into chunks. (I don't accuse you of moving goalposts here, but you do seem to be trying to view the data in any way that will favour Comrie) If we are going to look at chunks of their careers then their most recent chunks make sense. If you don't like that one I have no problem reverting to ALL of their respective careers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad