Confirmed with Link: Kaapo Kahkonen 1 x $1M Winnipeg

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
This is a bit of a head scratcher for sure - but I think there is a really strong relationship between Comrie and the Jets based on the history.

I still think KK is the guy to be your backup, I think theres more potential to be better there. Not going to worry about it too much - he'll probably clear so if Comrie is bad they can always pivot
Comries dad gonna buy all the empty seats tomorrow? ;)

I would really like Liljegren for the bottom pair. He could take Pionk’s spot next year potentially
This team buyin to defense kind of affords jets the ability to try a lilljgren on the backside.

Reactions: macmaroon

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
I would have preferred if he stayed up, hope we don't lose him on waivers although I fear we might with multiple teams like the Canucks and the Leafs having down horrendous goaltending or injuries or both.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
Northern MB
This is a bit of a head scratcher for sure - but I think there is a really strong relationship between Comrie and the Jets based on the history.

I still think KK is the guy to be your backup, I think theres more potential to be better there. Not going to worry about it too much - he'll probably clear so if Comrie is bad they can always pivot
Head scratcher for sure.

I’m pulling for Comrie, he’s someone I’ve rooted for since the Jets drafted him, and rooted for in other uniforms. Seems like an awesome guy, and dedicated to his craft. But sorry… he ain’t it as an NHL backup.

Of course goalies are voodoo and Comrie could pull off an excellent season. Maybe Flaherty can rebuild his game (he looked AWFUL in Buffalo). Who knows.

It seems the more sensible move would’ve been to keep Kahkonen and pivot to Comrie - or another replacement level goalie - if he wasn’t getting the job done.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
If him and Comrie give a similar performance I get keeping Comrie up over him. He's best friends with a bunch of the core and will just make the room that much tighter.
Scheifele identified him as one of his best friends and the Scheifele, Morrissey, Lowry, Helly leadership group is pretty tight. I’m guessing this is a default between 2 relatively equal players to who is the best fit with the team.

Dale53130

Nov 10, 2019
It's an easy (as pie) decision frankly.

Here's how the back-ups produced since the 2020-21 season:

2020-21

2020-21.png

2021-22

2021-22 Jets Goallies.png

2022-23

2022-23.png

2023-24

2023-24.png

Why wouldn't you want him back?
  • Continuity - with Hellebuyck and Wade Flaherty (+Winnipeg, teammates, etc.)
  • He had a strong year the last time he was a back-up for the Jets
  • Seems to be well liked, upbeat, encouraging, etc.
He's one of our own, so to players around the league, it shows that the Jets still take care of former players. For a small market, that's the way you should approach it.

If Brossoit and Comrie keep having strong years with the Jets, bomb with other teams, I'd still love to have them back. If Hellebuyck had a say in it, all the better! He's our best player, and the best player in the 2.0 era. If Greg Maddux only wants to pitch to Eddie Perez, then you don't force him to play with Javy Lopez if he's not comfortable with it.

It's not like the Jets have to worry about developing a starting goalie over the next few years, because we still have Hellebuyck for the next 6 seasons.

Kaapo Kahkonen's last 3 seasons (+career stats)

Kaapo Kahkonen.png

Comrie's last 3 seasons (+career stats)

Comrie 3 years.png

I don't think Kaapo separates himself enough.

Here are the top games that Comrie played in last year, 6 away games, and not the easiest competition down the stretch.

Comrie Game Log.png

Kaapo January Game Log.png

SJS sucked, and so did he, isolating from January on. Nice finish with NJD, save in the win column.

If we were absolutely forced to pick one of the two as a starting goalie, then Kaapo. Thankfully that's not a situation that we're in. For a back-up for just this year, I'm comfortable with Comrie.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
If we were absolutely forced to pick one of the two as a starting goalie, then Kaapo. Thankfully that's not a situation that we're in.
Yes, thankfully there is absolutely zero chance that Helly could sustain an injury that keeps him out for weeks, or months. I mean, that's just inconceivable, right? Who needs a good backup when your starter is invincible?

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Bogo nailed it. They are both capable back ups but Comrie is a known commodity and very good buds with 55, 37 and 44 and that factors in far more than a 0.003 difference in save percentage or some other stat that might factor in for the 15-17 games they’ll play.
Yeah, ask Vegas how important players being "good buds" is. Ask Vegas how important it is to place loyalty above talent. You know, that team that actually won a Cup without having to rely on a "5 year plan", which here is now going on... how long? :sarcasm:

KK may not be the answer, but we know that Comrie isn't.

Reactions: Hank Chinaski

Dale53130

Nov 10, 2019
Yeah, ask Vegas how important players being "good buds" is. Ask Vegas how important it is to place loyalty above talent. You know, that team that actually won a Cup without having to rely on a "5 year plan", which here is now going on... how long? :sarcasm:

We only need a back-up.

Hellebuyck doesn't have a track record of getting injured. If we need to salvage the season, yes, Comrie isn't the answer, nor is KK (IMO). At that point, the Jets should consider getting someone who's more qualified to be a starting goalie.

Reactions: KingBogo

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019

Yeah, but Vegas can ship out a "good bud" and there is a list of guys willing to go there to play to replace him

Unfortunately, our quaint little hamlet upon the frozen tundra doesn't quite hold the same appeal as Sin City (for some strange reason)

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Yeah, but Vegas can ship out a "good bud" and there is a list of guys willing to go there to play to replace him

Unfortunately, our quaint little hamlet upon the frozen tundra doesn't quite hold the same appeal as Sin City (for some strange reason)
This whole argument is bogus... dillon was great in the room - team loved bross... copp, schmidt, etc...

If the team was sold on comrie at helle request why even sign kakko

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
Northern MB
Cherry picking the one season where Comrie played like a legit NHL goalie doesn’t really strengthen the case. Nor does the glue guy argument. You can hide a Thorburn or Hendricks, goalie not so much.

Like I said, hoping like hell that Comrie makes me eat crow, but I’m not hopeful. I feel another Rittich situation where there’s zero confidence in the backup come March and Helle gets run into the ground.

This whole argument is bogus... dillon was great in the room - team loved bross... copp, schmidt, etc...

Maybe it was a repeat of the Jeff Finger signing.

Chevy thought he was getting Kaapo Kakko. :naughty:

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019

Dillon is 35 and about to decline, plays a position with youth ready to take his role, and is making 4M a year

So should I call your argument a strawman, or just a shitty example?

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Dillon is 35 and about to decline, plays a position with youth ready to take his role, and is making 4M a year

So should I call your argument a strawman, or just a shitty example?
No you should stop cherry picking...

Dillon is a top 4 dman 'about to decline' but not declining yet.. we have kept worse. He was a leader on the team - Schmidt and Copp were well known to be locker room guys and pals of the team. There's a long list of other similar examples.

The team has moved on from or passed on a ton of great locker room guys and friends of Scheif etc...

I'd say you're on to something when you say Flaherty might have picked him - but thats based on past performance... not on being a nice guy. At least I really hope not.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
No you should stop cherry picking...

Dillon is a top 4 dman 'about to decline' but not declining yet.. we have kept worse. He was a leader on the team - Schmidt and Copp were well known to be locker room guys and pals of the team. There's a long list of other similar examples.

The team has moved on from or passed on a ton of great locker room guys and friends of Scheif etc...

I'd say you're on to something when you say Flaherty might have picked him - but thats based on past performance... not on being a nice guy. At least I really hope not.
What did I cherry pick?

It was time to move on from Copp and Schmidt also (as it was with Dillon)

Bender Duster

Sep 16, 2024
Winnipeg
Some great guys in the room move on when the Jets can’t match offers they’ll get elsewhere (Dillon, Copp).

Other great guys come here because we can match what they can make elsewhere and they fill a role (Comrie, Hendricks ;)).

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

You need 2 veteran goalies for the organization. 1 to backup Helly in the NHL and 1 to split duties with Milic on the Moose. DD is likely going to be the starter in Norfolk.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Yes, thankfully there is absolutely zero chance that Helly could sustain an injury that keeps him out for weeks, or months. I mean, that's just inconceivable, right? Who needs a good backup when your starter is invincible?
if Helle is injured the likes of Comrie or Kahkonnen are not going to keep the team from tanking. How many teams with star goalies also have a legit 1B backup? Even with Broissort there were lots of doubts about the workload he can handle.

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

True because Vegas and Winnipeg are equal destinations

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad