LeBrun: Juuse Saros to sign 8 year extension worth 7.74 M AAV

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
I want Askarov in Toronto so much. But I don't know if Toronto has the right pieces to make it work.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
So Demko becomes an elite starter playing 50+ games with Markstrom still there? Interesting.
He's averaged just under 45 starts since Markstrom left. He's had some injury troubles carrying that load. Demko's numbers in terms of save percentage are pretty much the same with and without Markstrom there. What I'm saying is Askarov isn't even a high end AHL guy yet. What should the Preds have done? Moved a top 5 goalie with a guy who might be ready for a backup role in the NHL in a year or 2? I don't think Saros wants to sign a 4 year deal or something. Do they trade him for a slightly better return than Ullmark or Markstrom? How does that resonate in their room?

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
How did the preds go from Askarov is the future to 8 more years of Saros so fast? Was Saros even good in the playoffs?
Let's say Bedard was drafted by the Oilers. Should they have traded away McDavid during Bedards ELC?

Askarov is good, an could become the best goalie in the league. Saros is already a top-5 goalie in the league, who has played how many games?

Yeah

Reactions: Viqsi and JKG33

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I mean there is a question of whether the Predators should've done this deal at this point.

But Saros for 8x7.75 is a good deal in a vacuum. We are talking about a top-5 goalie here, a real difference maker.
But Saros has been a top 5 goalie forever. Askarov could be anything! A complete bust at worst or maybe if things go perfectky right, the next Saros

Reactions: jfw and Viqsi

TommyDangles

Jun 18, 2021
So are you suggesting that the goalie, that has been in the Vezina conversation for like the last 5-6 years, is going to drop to a backup?
Did you even bother to read what I replied to? He said a situation where Askarov "forces their hand."

So either you have a young goalie playing amazing & he's still the backup..? In that situation wouldn't Saros be the backup? Or do you have the worse goalie being the starter over the young amazing goalie?

And are you suggesting that a guy who has never posted a .930 save % will have one at 32 years old being a backup? Who is also coming off a .906 season btw

Reactions: ZachaFlockaFlame

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Did you even bother to read what I replied to? He said a situation where Askarov "forces their hand."

So either you have a young goalie playing amazing & he's still the backup..? In that situation wouldn't Saros be the backup? Or do you have the worse goalie being the starter over the young amazing goalie?

And are you suggesting that a guy who has never posted a .930 save % will have one at 32 years old being a backup? Who is also coming off a .906 season btw
Then you ditch Saros when Askarov proves himself. Christ, it's not rocket surgery

TommyDangles

Jun 18, 2021
He's averaged just under 45 starts since Markstrom left. He's had some injury troubles carrying that load. Demko's numbers in terms of save percentage are pretty much the same with and without Markstrom there. What I'm saying is Askarov isn't even a high end AHL guy yet. What should the Preds have done? Moved a top 5 goalie with a guy who might be ready for a backup role in the NHL in a year or 2? I don't think Saros wants to sign a 4 year deal or something. Do they trade him for a slightly better return than Ullmark or Markstrom? How does that resonate in their room?
But how does Demko become an elite starter if he's being blocked by Markstrom?

Either you are significantly overpaying a goalie to be a backup

or

A young talented goalie is being blocked from reaching his potential

Then you ditch Saros when Askarov proves himself. Christ, it's not rocket surgery
Right. Very easy to ditch a backup 32 year old goalie making 7.74M for another 6 years. Likely with a contract that has trade protections.

Reactions: GeauxPreds1

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
Let's say Bedard was drafted by the Oilers. Should they have traded away McDavid during Bedards ELC?

Askarov is good, an could become the best goalie in the league. Saros is already a top-5 goalie in the league, who has played how many games?

Yeah

Really comparing forwards and goaltenders?

Forwards can play 82 games each and goalies have to split the 82 games.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

Yeah
I agree. Don’t count your chickens till they hatch. But I swear I read reports earlier this year that pretty much said this was a forgone conclusion for the Preds. Plus Saros being shopped and all. Guess not.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I think I'm done here. Too many of you geniuses think real life works just like EA's BAGM, where if you have an "elite" potential prospect they hit 90 ovr after a single year no matter how you develop them

Reactions: Soundgarden

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
Why did Demko? Shesterkin? Both of them took over at about age 25 when they were ready
People in here acting like Vokoun didn't usurp Dunham for the starter role on the Preds until his mid-twenties. Or like Rinne didn't usurp Ellis for the starting role until his mid-twenties. Or like Saros didn't usurp Rinne for the starting role until *his* mid-twenties.

The Preds have done this song and dance time and time again, and they're a team that has pretty consistently had solid goaltending. I would not be surprised at all if they platoon Saros and Askarov for a couple of years before deciding who stays and who goes.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I agree. Don’t count your chickens till they hatch. But I swear I read reports earlier this year that pretty much said this was a forgone conclusion for the Preds. Plus Saros being shopped and all. Guess not.
I do have faith in Askarov, but Nashville has one of the few elite goalies in the NHL and just extended him to a reasonable deal. That's fine too.

Unfortunately, Askarov might go for cheap, considering how little goalies seem to fetch on the market. But that's life.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
People in here acting like Vokoun didn't usurp Dunham for the starter role on the Preds until his mid-twenties. Or like Rinne didn't usurp Ellis for the starting role until his mid-twenties. Or like Saros didn't usurp Rinne for the starting role until *his* mid-twenties.

The Preds have done this song and dance time and time again, and they're a team that has pretty consistently had solid goaltending. I would not be surprised at all if the platoon Saros and Askarov for a couple of years before deciding who stays and who goes.
Exactly what will happen. Too bad very few people can grasp the concept, despite overwhelming evidence

Reactions: Soundgarden

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
And once again you're proving you have no clue how goalie development works. You overcook goalies in the AHL, and then ease them in as a backup then 1B in the NHL.

And once again you're wildly missing that goalies have next to no trade value

Yeah man, first round goalies get overcooked in the AHL which is why guys like Spencer Knight, Jake Oettinger, Ilya Samsonov, Andrei Vasilevskiy were all playing 20+ games 2 years after them getting drafted, let alone 4 YEARS out of their draft class. Keep being misinformed about a topic you clearly don't get to hug onto a player that made no sense for Nashville to keep.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
But how does Demko become an elite starter if he's being blocked by Markstrom?

Either you are significantly overpaying a goalie to be a backup

or

A young talented goalie is being blocked from reaching his potential
This is starting to get redundant. Richter didn't "block" Lundquist. Markstrom didn't block Demko. There's no reason to continue this. Signing Saros was the right move. You don't trade a top 5 goalie for peanuts because you have a guy in the system who is slightly above average in the AHL. He was the 17th ranked goalie in the AHL this year. He's not a Demko who was ready. He might never be ready. We drafted Brent Krahn at 9OA. By your logic we should have traded Kipper because of it.

Reactions: Viqsi

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Yeah man, first round goalies get overcooked in the AHL which is why guys like Spencer Knight, Jake Oettinger, Ilya Samsonov, Andrei Vasilevskiy were all playing 20+ games 2 years after them getting drafted, let alone 4 YEARS out of their draft class. Keep being misinformed about a topic you clearly don't get to hug onto a player that made no sense for Nashville to keep.
Congrats! You found the two who succeeded. Otter and Vasi.

Knight was literally my example for why this doesn't work. And Samsonov is f***ing garbage

• Haha
Reactions: ZachaFlockaFlame

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Congrats! You found the two who succeeded. Otter and Vasi.

Knight was literally my example for why this doesn't work. And Samsonov is f***ing garbage

Except all 4 prove you wrong because you said goalies get overcooked in the AHL yet they're the 4 most recent 1st round goalies besides Askarov and got a ton of games right away. You don't use that capital and just sit on it for a 6-7 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad