LeBrun: Juuse Saros to sign 8 year extension worth 7.74 M AAV

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
And then be looking for a goalie while going through Askarov's growing pains?

Some people in this thread have absolutely 0 clue how to develop a goalie

Or the idea that Nashville gets better up front and scores goals for their young goalie as opposed to trying to win like 90's hockey. Expecting Brunette to churn out 70+ point seasons out of Gustav Nyquist is borderline dumb. It has nothing to do with how you view Saros as a player, it has to do with them already having a goalie and using their prime goalie to get better elsewhere on the roster that clearly needs an injection of youth/goal scoring

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Or the idea that Nashville gets better up front and scores goals for their young goalie as opposed to trying to win like 90's hockey. Expecting Brunette to churn out 70+ point seasons out of Gustav Nyquist is borderline dumb
That ain't it chief. You don't wanna throw your young goalie to the wolves

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
3 years was a guesstimate. Whatever the NMC years are, move him after. Askarov is still hella young
2-3 years is the sweet spot with where Askarov is at.

He'll most likely earn the backup spot at some point next season, and then another year or two to take over as a starter if he develops as expected. That leaves the Preds in a really awkward spot if Saros has a 4-5+ year NMC, where Askarov is too good to be a backup and potentially trying to force his way out.

Reactions: JKG33

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
1719540698982.gif

• Haha
Reactions: wolfgaze

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I mean they just saw what top goaltenders fetched on the market. Markström with two years left, retained, basically nothing. Ullmark, arguably Boston took the worst of it. Saros is better than both of them, but I think this pretty much showed that there was no premiur return available.

"Saros is better than both of them" but let me mention the return of worse goalies......., Ullmark was also not extended, you assume Saros would have gotten extended by his future team if they traded him. Post makes no sense

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
No response to the actual roster management but just how goalies should be developed, lmaoooo
You don't have a clue, this ain't going anywhere
2-3 years is the sweet spot with where Askarov is at.

He'll most likely earn the backup spot at some point next season, and then another year or two to take over as a starter if he develops as expected. That leaves the Preds in a really awkward spot if Saros has a 4-5+ year NMC, where Askarov is too good to be a backup and potentially trying to force his way out.
Finally someone who gets it.

If Askarov forces their hand in 3ish years, that's right where the Preds wanna be

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Askarov put up a .882 in the AHL playoffs this season. He has put up a .911 with no progression in the AHL. I wouldn't be counting chickens just yet. I'm not with Wolf and he's utterly dominated the AHL.
Hell look at Knight. Took over the NHL net in the playoffs right outta college, a year later he's back in the minors.

Goalies are votaile. Young ones even more so. Give Askarov time and ride Saros while you have him

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
You don't have a clue, this ain't going anywhere

Finally someone who gets it.

If Askarov forces their hand in 3ish years, that's right where the Preds wanna be

The difference between the Preds being relevant or not in the West within the next 3 years doesn't matter if Saros is or isn't on the roster. You're completing missing the point that he can still bring back a high level forward that team needs. No argument to how barren their top 6 was last year and they had the remains of ROR, Gustav Nyquist there but yeah that's a sustainable roster if you have Saros according to you. Maybe follow an argument before you decide to shut everything down.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Askarov put up a .882 in the AHL playoffs this season. He has put up a .911 with no progression in the AHL. I wouldn't be counting chickens just yet. I'm not with Wolf and he's utterly dominated the AHL.
Ugh you might want to check out Askarov more, he had a whole month where he gave up like four goals.
Right where the Preds want to be. A backup goalie making 7.74M for 5+ more years.
And why is Saros a backup all of a sudden? He's 29.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Ugh you might want to check out Askarov more, he had a whole month where he gave up like four goals.

And why is Saros a backup all of a sudden? He's 29.
I've checked out Askarov. He had a couple of good months and a couple of putrid months. Like a lot of developing young players. He hasn't even proven to be an elite goalie in the AHL.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
The difference between the Preds being relevant or not within the next 3 years doesn't matter if Saros is or isn't on the roster. You're completing missing the point that he can still bring back a high level forward that team needs. No argument to how barren their top 6 was last year and they had the remains of ROR, Gustav Nyquist there but yeah that's a sustainable roster if you have Saros according to you.
Do tell, what high level forward was Saros bringing back? Ullmark just won a vezina and was essentially traded for nothing (the cap dump and the 1st basically cancel out). Fleury won a vezina and was traded for nothing. Markstrom was traded with retention for a late 1st.

So please do tell, what could you possibly have that I don't, that shows Saros was bringing back a top level forward?

Reactions: Viqsi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad