Rumor: Juuse Saros Signs 8 Year / $7.74 AAV Contract

Trade Saros?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I really like Norris as he seems like the shoot first type that we could use more of, but the price/term is a little scary I am not going to lie.
It's one of those high risk/high reward scenarios for sure. You could end up with a low end 1C or you could end up with Kyle Turris Part 2.

Reactions: Flgatorguy87

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
It's closer, but probably still not enough. I'm thinking in terms of the reported ask from New Jersey for Saros and Carrier, which was Mercer, Casey, 1st, 2nd, Schmid. Carrier on his own probably brings back a 1st or 2nd and Schmid is a throw-in goaltender, but one only making $850k. Is Norris @$8M = to Mercer+Casey+1st or 2nd?

I can see why anything more, or even this much, would be a tough sell for the Sens though.

I guess it’s a quality over qty question and I don’t know your roster well enough to know better than you :)
To me Norris is worth more and you’d only be getting him at this price b/c of this down year.
Again, worth it to me because we literally have the 3 worst team save percentage in league history lol

I really like Norris as he seems like the shoot first type that we could use more of, but the price/term is a little scary I am not going to lie.

He is a shoot first guy, and he has a howitzer signature one timer on the PP.
Also a fitness monster if you care :)

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I guess it’s a quality over qty question and I don’t know your roster well enough to know better than you :)
To me Norris is worth more and you’d only be getting him at this price b/c of this down year.
Again, worth it to me because we literally have the 3 worst team save percentage in league history lol

Yeah, I do think he's an intriguing piece (a shoot-first center to play with someone like Novak), and I'm sort of more of the mindset I just want to see us get at least one quality asset with a reliable shot of being an NHL contributor (which he is) over standing firm on multiple 1sts and prospects. The contract skews the calculus a little, but it would also partly be the only reason he'd be available.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty

Like I said, he is certainly a nice piece, but that AAV/term would be difficult to swallow if he tops out as a 50ish pt guy. Risk reward for sure as mentioned above. How many FOs is he taking?

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
Seravalli now saying that the Preds aren't interested in moving Saros while in a playoff spot.

I'm hoping that us just clawing ourselves into the 8th playoff spot doesn't set us back multiple years with our re-tool. We really should look into the future instead of just this year.

Wondercarrot

Jul 2, 2002
Like I said, he is certainly a nice piece, but that AAV/term would be difficult to swallow if he tops out as a 50ish pt guy. Risk reward for sure as mentioned above. How many FOs is he taking?

He takes all his draws (or the vast majority) because he pretty good at career 52%, which is what he at this year.
Great wheels… one of those pretty good at everything and an amazing shot.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Seravalli now saying that the Preds aren't interested in moving Saros while in a playoff spot.

I'm hoping that us just clawing ourselves into the 8th playoff spot doesn't set us back multiple years with our re-tool. We really should look into the future instead of just this year.
I don't understand this mindset. This is acting as if we know everything that is happening. Why does it have to be as binary between 'ship him out now to help the future' and 'keeping him past the trade deadline is only focusing on the present'.

Maybe offers aren't coming in and this is just a ploy to create some leverage. Or, maybe Trotz thinks he can get as much or more for Saros during the summer. What if they've decided that they don't want to bring Askarov up yet so trading Saros is accepting failure.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I don't understand this mindset. This is acting as if we know everything that is happening. Why does it have to be as binary between 'ship him out now to help the future' and 'keeping him past the trade deadline is only focusing on the present'.

Maybe offers aren't coming in and this is just a ploy to create some leverage. Or, maybe Trotz thinks he can get as much or more for Saros during the summer. What if they've decided that they don't want to bring Askarov up yet so trading Saros is accepting failure.
I do think there is time to trade him, so if they want to evaluate this team as a playoff contender then I am ok with it...even if I disagree.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017

I also think a lot of people sound like they are overrating some of the returns being discussed. I mean, it's not that guys like Mercer or Norris are bad players. They're pretty good. Decent. But we're not talking game-breakers or players who will be top stars on our team. I know Saros is having a down season, but he has been a legitimate All-Star and top player at his position league-wide the last few years. He was a game-breaker for us a lot of nights the previous few seasons. I don't want to trade a star player for just some decent 2nd line depth. I don't care about the league-wide precedent on goalie valuation. We have time, we're not in any position of desperation, there's no need to take just the first half-decent young player offered.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA

I just don't really trust any of these clowns actually have a clue what's going on.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I just don't really trust any of these clowns actually have a clue what's going on.
I doubt anything has changed much for months. Trotz wanted the moon last summer, he still does, and has never really expected anybody was going to actually offer the moon. The only thing which has changed is the clowns watching the Preds go up and down a tiny bit in the standings. Just like we're doing.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia

Hoping it is negotiating tactics personally....then again i dont want Trotz making a move on Saros and settle for a bad return. He may have more options in the summer anyways as potential buyers open up with capspace.

Right now: saros has 2 potential playoff runs but a limited market due to teams capspaces.

Offseason: more teams will open up but only 1 full season.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Any smart GM listens to an offer for ANY player ... then goes from there. That is where we are with Saros. Listening to offers with possible, and costly, counterproposals. The Preds are a year out from a must make decision on Saros. For now we have a proven starter in Saros, capable backup in Lanks, and a promising but not yet proven at the NHL player in Askarov. Let the definitive buyers call with their offers and listen to determine if the offers make sense from our point of view.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I think its less that he just want to keep Saros for a playoff run and more that there is no one really to trade him too atm. The market has all but dried up imo, at least for a goalie of that caliber.

I think New Jersey has just thrown in the towel so there is no desperation there. I think LA, for better or worse, has decided to just ride what they have. Teams like Ottawa that may need it aren't in a hurry so will likely wait til the offseason. Then you have teams like Carolina who have so many goalies they probably aren't going to get another.

Like I have said before, Trotz played chicken with the league and everyone either swerved ( LA ) or broke down before they ever got there ( Ottawa, NJ ).

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
I think its less that he just want to keep Saros for a playoff run and more that there is no one really to trade him too atm. The market has all but dried up imo, at least for a goalie of that caliber.

I think New Jersey has just thrown in the towel so there is no desperation there. I think LA, for better or worse, has decided to just ride what they have. Teams like Ottawa that may need it aren't in a hurry so will likely wait til the offseason. Then you have teams like Carolina who have so many goalies they probably aren't going to get another.

Like I have said before, Trotz played chicken with the league and everyone either swerved ( LA ) or broke down before they ever got there ( Ottawa, NJ ).
I think it's more a team morale issue. The team has had its struggles but has fought to get back into a playoff spot. Trading Saros tells every one of those players that you've given up on the season and no longer care about winning all while in a playoff sport. This goes against the winning culture that Trotz wants to establish.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I think it's more a team morale issue. The team has had its struggles but has fought to get back into a playoff spot. Trading Saros tells every one of those players that you've given up on the season and no longer care about winning all while in a playoff sport. This goes against the winning culture that Trotz wants to establish.
I get it but that is a real easy line to tow when no one is making an offer that comes close. You can bet if New Jersey had agreed to his ask team morale would have meant jack squat. :laugh:

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Obviously we'll never know for sure but if we are in fact turning down offers for Saros we would otherwise accept because we're in a playoff spot then I will double down on my take from yesterday that this season should be judged on whether or not we have any playoff success. If Trotz is deciding this team can compete then they should be expected to actually compete not just have some moral victory of squeaking into the playoffs and putting up a decent fight.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
I also think a lot of people sound like they are overrating some of the returns being discussed. I mean, it's not that guys like Mercer or Norris are bad players. They're pretty good. Decent. But we're not talking game-breakers or players who will be top stars on our team. I know Saros is having a down season, but he has been a legitimate All-Star and top player at his position league-wide the last few years. He was a game-breaker for us a lot of nights the previous few seasons. I don't want to trade a star player for just some decent 2nd line depth. I don't care about the league-wide precedent on goalie valuation. We have time, we're not in any position of desperation, there's no need to take just the first half-decent young player offered.
Just because you don't care doesn't mean GM's around the league are all of a sudden go, hey, PS doesn't care about goalie valuation, let's trade for Saros and give NP a load of quality.

I get why BT is asking for the moon and good for him. It gives him wiggle room to negotiate down to a point where he thinks he's getting good value in return.

I would love for us to move Saros and get a top 3 forward, preferably a center. History tells me that's a pipe dream as I don't of any goalie of Saros's level that got moved a player of that ilk.

So where does that leave us, more than likely at what you described, 2nd line depth, hopefully a 1st and possibly another add. Is it what I want, no but is it realistic, I'd say it is.

Adding a quality 2nd liner who can pot 50-60 points is something we desperately need. While we also need a top 3 forward or two, it's not going to happen in any deal for Saros unless some team gets super desperate and I don't see that happening.

The other piece of this is, move Saros, get quality pieces for him that you use to build your team around or bundle with other quality pieces to land the top end talent you need. It's not that easy and it's going to hurt but say a team like Vancouver can't re-up Petersson, do you offer them a huge package of quality players, do you offer sheet him?

This is not directed to you but why the need to hold on to Saros? He's been great in the regular season for us in the past. He's never won a playoff series. While an elite goalie can alleviate the pains a team has in the regular season, very rarely do you see them elevate their team in the playoffs. Playoffs is a full team game where everyone has to give everything, which is why more rounded teams with lesser goalies have beaten us in years past.

I'm indifferent if we move him before the TDL or at the draft/offseason.

The thing we have going for us if we move him before the TDL is, we use that as leverage to the buyer to say, hey, you're getting him for 2 playoff runs. It also gets rid of the distraction, is he staying or going.

If we wait til after the season, it opens up a lot of options but do we get a package that is better than the one we'd get in the next couple of weeks?

I'll leave you with a question, what do you think is fair value for Saros?

Reactions: Preds Partisan

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Norris' goals/assists this season are a direct mirror of the 20-21 season even though the senators are scoring an additional goal/game this season compared to 20-21. He got less TOI in 20-21 compared to this season (all of which is PP.) Getting on average about 0:40 extra of powerplay time each game this year than he did in 20-21. So youd figure he'd be picking up atleast the occasional extra point here or there. Just seems odd. I know he missed alot of time with a big injury but that contract is a massive commitment and leap of faith that his 1 season with really high shooting % is more representative of what you should expect then the other two seasons.

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
Who are we building the culture for, though?

O'Reilly? McDonagh? Schenn? I think with some Cups, they know what winning takes.

Even our own veterans have already been a part of a winning team for several years.

What irritates me, that this "learning" and "building" year is just more of the same - playing safe with the veterans. I would have a totally different view on this if we had some kids in the lineup, to whom we are building the culture FOR.

Playing this middling, veteran team should by no means cloud our thinking of where we are as a franchise - in a re-tool. There will be pain in the future when the Josi's and O'Reillys leave the organization. Today, we should be building to find the replacements for those type of players, not just think short-term and squeak in the playoffs to waste the eight days or whatever time the sweep takes.

Wondercarrot

Jul 2, 2002
Well…not going to lie, thought of this thread immediately as I watched Norris laying down and out on the ice.
My ask has now changed to Lankinen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad