Waived: Justin Holl

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I guess that's where the disconnect lies. People want half our defense waived yet they should be performing much better as a unit. Make it make sense.
Fair point. To clarify a couple things, at least in my opinion:

1) I'm underwhelmed by a few of Detroit's defensemen. But I personally am not advocating to waive half the defense. (Understood that thoughts on this vary significantly.)

2) I should say that TEAM defense should be better with existing personnel. I think the forwards get too much of a free pass, especially with Yzerman not keeping guys like Sprong and Fabbri. I like the potential of our prospects to eventually improve this area, but current forwards should help out the defense a bit more, and some of that can also come down to coaching strategy.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
I think there's room for a middle ground. The defense should not be quite this bad with existing personnel, whether that means an update to the system they play and/or an update to the assignments/combinations.

Nobody can play a perfect game, but I expect more from both the players and the coaches. And to @Oddbob 's point, I still see a great deal of, "let the players sort it out themselves" from Lalonde, and I think he needs to adjust to be more hands on.

That's kind of where I'm at. In the recent postgame presser from NYR there were some comments from the team about some players not putting in the work defensively. I still don't think Patrick Kane is the right fit for this team short or long term and he's a player that definitely falls into that category of not really caring about defense.

Last edited:

jaster

I am become woke, destroyer of ignorance.
Jun 8, 2007
That's kind of where I'm at. In the recent postgame presser from NYR there were some comments from the team about some players not putting in the work defensively. I still don't think Patrick Kane is the right fit for this team short or long term and he's a player that definitely falls into that category of not really caring about defense.
Patrick Kane cared about defense a couple times, dude; when he was accused of sexual assault, and when he stood up for a guy who turned a blind eye to rape, and enabled future rapes.

Too soon?

Go Wings!

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I think the forwards get too much of a free pass, especially with Yzerman not keeping guys like Sprong and Fabbri. I like the potential of our prospects to eventually improve this area, but current forwards should help out the defense a bit more, and some of that can also come down to coaching strategy.
Tbh that probably looks like last night though. We don't have enough good 200ft players to play really strong defense AND be able to generate offense. Most likely we either do what we did last year and score a lot and allow a lot, or we try to win games like the 3 Ws we have this season.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
So what are you asking for? Better starts.. then what? You view 3rd period comebacks as a bad thing, but I assume that doesn't mean you want the team to be on the other side of those?

Almost by definition the ask is for perfection. Which is a fantasy with most rosters, especially one like ours.

Nice hyperbole. How about somewhere in between. Again, you keep saying perfection, I never said anything close to that. You act like we are doing really well under Lalonde. What I see is a team with no real system and are constantly outshot and outplayed, no matter what teams we face.

I feel Tank was a weird choice as well for Lalonde's brand of hockey, which I am becoming less and less a fan of.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Yeah, but you've been posting stuff like this since before he was signed so... how legit is it?

Idk if I'd consider it true or just self-validating your own thoughts and personal beliefs.

I mean Red Wings just won a game because of the guy... But he's no good for the team.

Maybe coach was talking about Berggren, who, sucks or even Gustavsson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad